The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
KM 140 vs Modern Mics
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
Ah, now I can stop thinking about writing the seller again to tell him that I will buy the mics in spite of my initial hesitation.

All the best with your new microphones!
Haha that is awesome that you were looking at them too. You're lucky you did hesitate. One of the microphones has a pushed in mesh grill , and a lower volume than the other. Also a lot of scratches and nicks on both of them. Listened to them in a few tests and they sound like they definitely need to go to a tech
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeeyb View Post
Haha that is awesome that you were looking at them too. You're lucky you did hesitate. One of the microphones has a pushed in mesh grill , and a lower volume than the other. Also a lot of scratches and nicks on both of them. Listened to them in a few tests and they sound like they definitely need to go to a tech
Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that! They looked nice, but you can't really tell from a picture on ebay.

To answer your question about less expensive "substitutes", apart from the usual Schopes and Sennheiser MHK series (which are both great), you might want to look at Milab VM44 and Nevaton MC-49. I haven't tested these mics yet, but the reviews sound very good.

Apart from that, Gefell MV691 / 692 sound good with the omni M93 (= M58) capsule, and can be bought for little money on ebay. The other smaller capsules (M70, M94, M69) sound a little special. The UM70 LDC capsule is very nice, but also more expensive.
Gefell M295 etc. are great, but more expensive.
Haun (MBHO) seems to me to be of lower quality, but still nice.
I don't know the Beyer (MC930 or so?) that is also at times mentioned as a less expensive substitue.

If you have really sparse acoustic music, you might try ribbons. I was very happy with an AEA R84 on mandolin in a sparse Irish Folk mix, and it also sounded great on trumpet (with no EQ) in a Jazz trio, for example.
Old 21st February 2019
I realize this is an old thread, but i was curious to know if the neumann AK40 capsule fits on another neumann body other than the KM100 ?
I ask because i can't find any KM100 bodies out there, but i see the AK40 capsules
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search