The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Enjoying the retro powerstrip with the flea47 and tele 251
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Enjoying the retro powerstrip with the flea47 and tele 251

I picked up a powerstrip from our friend Adam aka Dr. Mixwell. Adam is a nice knowledgable guy and a pleasure to do business with.

I will say right out of the box I was initially a little disappointed. I preferred my tubetech mp1a pre as they were a bit more vibrant lush with more sparkle and detail up top while still being what I would consider warm. The powerstrip seemed a little compressed chesty and thick in comparison not bad mind you and it would be a tossup between it and say my neve dpa which is thicker and and more solid through the mids.

So I'm thinking maybe I should ship this back for either a 176 or a Sta-Level and maybe the retro EQ.

Anyway, I started fiddling with the nobs. First off the compressor is great on vocals transparent enough, soft and organic and just adds a nice sheen to vocals. Pretty much does exactly what I was looking for. Then I decided to switch in the EQ section on the powerstrip with everything set to neutral. There was a very noticeable difference, the vibrancy and sparkle I felt was lacking all of a sudden appeared and the whole unit seemed to wake up and come to life. again this was keeping everything in the neutral position.

Now I'm really liking the piece. It's a great sounding unit that is fantastic for tracking. Eventually I'll start playing around with the EQ but for right now this is the ideal grab and go vocal chain. I would recommend any would be buyers to engage the EQ stage as really made the pre sound great.

Btw the lush ethereal open 3d sounding 251 sounds a little more earthy with a touch more low end through the powerstrip and the Flea47 sounds thick warm and chewy while still retaining that lovely upper mid presence.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's interesting isn't it. Always the same for me with 10xx series of Neves.
Sounds a little crisper with the eq engaged, all set to neutral.

Loved the Retro eq when I demoed it. If the channel strip has the same kind of vibe, you're going to go crazy boosting the high's! It's addictive.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
I picked up a powerstrip from our friend Adam aka Dr. Mixwell. Adam is a nice knowledgable guy and a pleasure to do business with.

I will say right out of the box I was initially a little disappointed. I preferred my tubetech mp1a pre as they were a bit more vibrant lush with more sparkle and detail up top while still being what I would consider warm. The powerstrip seemed a little compressed chesty and thick in comparison not bad mind you and it would be a tossup between it and say my neve dpa which is thicker and and more solid through the mids.

So I'm thinking maybe I should ship this back for either a 176 or a Sta-Level and maybe the retro EQ.

Anyway, I started fiddling with the nobs. First off the compressor is great on vocals transparent enough, soft and organic and just adds a nice sheen to vocals. Pretty much does exactly what I was looking for. Then I decided to switch in the EQ section on the powerstrip with everything set to neutral. There was a very noticeable difference, the vibrancy and sparkle I felt was lacking all of a sudden appeared and the whole unit seemed to wake up and come to life. again this was keeping everything in the neutral position.

Now I'm really liking the piece. It's a great sounding unit that is fantastic for tracking. Eventually I'll start playing around with the EQ but for right now this is the ideal grab and go vocal chain. I would recommend any would be buyers to engage the EQ stage as really made the pre sound great.

Btw the lush ethereal open 3d sounding 251 sounds a little more earthy with a touch more low end through the powerstrip and the Flea47 sounds thick warm and chewy while still retaining that lovely upper mid presence.
Congrats to the 251 they are hard to come by.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Congrats to the 251 they are hard to come by.
I think it's the tele remake.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search