The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Just got Bricasti M7.. Analog or AES?
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut

Just got Bricasti M7.. Analog or AES?

Hi, I'm using Pro Tools HD and want to hook up the Bricasti post my stereo compressor on vocals. I was needing some opinions on connecting it via Analog after my comp verses AES digitally on another aux trk? Soundwise how do the 2 configs differ and how would I set up routing in pro tools when going AES digitally? (I've never gone digital)
Thanks!
Old 15th October 2013
Few things sound odd about this...why would you not have it on a send so you can use it on more than one source? And why is your vocal on a stereo compressor - is it a vocal buss?

If you have aes io, that's the way I'd connect it - but I'd have it on an aux channel as a send effect.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Connect the Bricasti to some I/O (analogue or digital) and set it as a hardware insert with the correct latency compensation in I/O setup.

Create a stereo aux track with input as Bus 1-2 for example.
From your vocal track create a post fader Send to Bus 1-2.
Insert the Bricasti as a hardware insert on the aux track. Solo safe the aux track.

set the mix / fx or wet /dry parameter on the Bricasti to 100% wet (fx).
The amount of reverb is then controlled by the aux sends and the aux return (aux channel fader).
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear
I concur with Kosty. Enjoy the Bricasti. It is fabulous. I have mine connected to the AES i/o.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Sonically there is probably not really much difference between running it analog and running it digital except that in digital you eliminate one conversion cycle.

I run mine AES. and as an insert.. As several have recommended if you set it up on its own stereo aux then you can accomplish your goal for it being post comp for the vocal (just send the compressed vocal to that aux) with the added benefit of being able to send multiple other tracks to it also. It works really nice as a room verb on drums for example.

Here are some screen shots of how I have it set up I am using the A 5-6
on my OMNI for the AES I am using the first AES 1-2 on the DB 25 so I have relabeled the A 5-6 as AES 1-2 and in both the input and output windows and the insert window I just labeled it M7 for clarity.
So I have the Aux labeled M7 ( third left of Master fader) and the send bus ( B send position) labeled M7 Vrb, with the Vocal Comp track as well as the drums and acoustic guitars going to it

Here are the I/O set ups

Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

The converters in the bricasti sound great. I'd really base it on how your rig is set up. If you have some extra AES ports available and you're working in the box that's probably a easier way to go. If however you're already going out of the box you may as well use the analog inputs.

Short version: They both sound great, I'd make your decision based on how it fits in to your workflow.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search