The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Barefoot Sound MiniMain12
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear
Barefoot Sound MiniMain12

Does anybody here own these? Or heard them in person?

These monitors would cost twice as much as the entirety of my gear collection, but I think they just might be worth it based on what I have read. The more and more I mix, the more I come to appreciate the importance of monitors. They are so much more important than some the minute differences that get discussed on here constantly.

I'm pretty sure I would rather have these monitors and some nice plugins versus something like Dynaudio bm5as and some fancy outboard.

But if there is only like a 5% improvement with these over the 27's, well, I think I'll keep the 12k difference. Lol
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Anybody?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Depends on the size of your room, what kind of SPL you require, monitoring distance, and the rest of your chain.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Depends on the size of your room, what kind of SPL you require, monitoring distance, and the rest of your chain.
Room size: 14widex20longx9 tall

Monitoring distance: 4 feet

Rest of chain? Crane song Avocet I guess.

SPL: I am constantly going up and down as I mix. Anywhere from low 60's to mid 90s.

Thomas Barefoot claims the minimain12 can be used as a nearfield monitor.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, heard them in person at AES show last year.
They changed my life forever. They are the finest monitors ever made on this planet. You will understand after a listening session. Warning: you will not want to hear lousy sound again.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge View Post
Yes, heard them in person at AES show last year.
They changed my life forever. They are the finest monitors ever made on this planet. You will understand after a listening session. Warning: you will not want to hear lousy sound again.
Yes... I am afraid to demo them! I'm pretty sure the guys at Vintage King in Detroit can arrange a demo if I make the drive up there. Very tempting but a also a potential financial disaster.

I've been working on dynaudio bm5as for about 4 years now. I often feel like my mixes are one giant slightly educated guess, especially below 100hz. can't imagine what a sealed box with 6 separate drivers has to offer in terms of clarity/resolution.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've heard them, and own the MM27 gen2's.

They're pretty insane. You've never heard low end like that in your life...ever. Extremely tight and 3D.

One day, I'll sell my MM27 gen2's to get these...until then the MM27's are pretty great too

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search