The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which Neve Portico
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Which Neve Portico

Hi Slutz

I intend to invest in a Neve Portico 5017 but the other Neve Porticos are similar.

All I want it for is Vocals, Bass Di and Guit.

Would anyone be able to suggest the best model to go for.

I have tonnes of great eq's and compressors in my PT10 and I just can't work out which Neve I would benefit from the most.

Thanks in advance dudes.

Pete
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Portico II channel ...on it's best day your PT 10 only wishes it sounded this good.

If you think it does...either better monitors or better ears are in order.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Nut

Portico II channel is great as said. So flexible with the silk. The compressor is nicely transparent but not sterile as we'll. had loads of use from the eq. I haven't heard the other portico stuff to compare, but from what I've heard the channel strip is the best of the bunch. Try them out if you can though.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've got a 5017 and have used the Portico strip. (I also have some 5012 pres, 5043 comps, and a 5033 eq.)

The 5017 is a great box, especially for remote recording and mobile gigs. You'll not be unsatisfied with what it does, but it can't really be compared to the channel strip, which has an outstanding EQ section, and a much more flexible compressor.

I'm not going to get into a hw vs software discussion (I use a lot of plug ins too) but I think you would really enjoy having a hardware eq and comp for tracking. Its just a different ballgame in my experience. I do understand sometime its just not in the budget.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thank you all so much my friends, I very much appreciate your advice, I think I will aim for the channel strip if I can.

All the best
Pete
Old 16th October 2013
Anyone compare the 5012, 5017 directly with the Portico II channel strip? In terms of just preamp, is there a difference?

I've been told the 511 and 5012 are similar...and would assume the Portico II is definitely better but hard to quantify.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search