The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
m905 / Avocet / Monitor ST
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

m905 / Avocet / Monitor ST

hi all!
i'm looking for a high end monitor controller.
here are my points:
- uncolored sound
- flexibility & routing
- built quality

this are my favorites:
- Grace Design m905
- Crane Song Avocet
- Dangerous Music Monitor ST

i'm happy for every post!
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Burl b26
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear
Grace design has a more hifi design than Avocet and Monitor St
It is not as transparent as the Avocet and Monitor St
For me the best is the Dangerous Monitor, the DAC is really really good. That said you may prefer the design or functionnality of the Avocet or Monitor St. These 2 are the best. You can choose either you will get a perfect monitoring.
Less expensive and less functionnaly, you can choose also the Dangerous Source... amazing monitoring for the price.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by priko View Post
For me the best is the Dangerous Monitor, the DAC is really really good. That said you may prefer the design or functionnality of the Avocet or Monitor St. These 2 are the best. You can choose either you will get a perfect monitoring.
Less expensive and less functionnaly, you can choose also the Dangerous Source... amazing monitoring for the price.
thanks. i own a metric halo uln-8 and use the internal dca for monitoring. is there an audible difference by using an analogue monitor controller??
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I use the Avocet in a 5.1 and the Harrison console .
Both do a great job .
Both were designed for mixing and tracking .
Both are clean without sounding digital .
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a Grace M905 and I'm very pleased with it.

It is extremely transparent. I hear stuff in recordings that I never used to hear with my SPL MTC 2381 monitor controller (which is Class A and very clean as is!)

As far as features and quality its hard to beat the Grace. The other units are very good as well but lack certain features that make the Grace particularly flexible and convenient. It all depends on your needs.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by staudio View Post
I have a Grace M905 and I'm very pleased with it.

It is extremely transparent. I hear stuff in recordings that I never used to hear with my SPL MTC 2381 monitor controller (which is Class A and very clean as is!)

As far as features and quality its hard to beat the Grace. The other units are very good as well but lack certain features that make the Grace particularly flexible and convenient. It all depends on your needs.
which features do you mean?!!
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have the m906 surround version of the Grace. It is a stunning controller. It had the most features of all the controllers as well as inputs. The warranty service is top notch too! Probably the priciest of the bunch, but you get what you pay for and these guys make a quality product no doubt.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

is there a head-to-head comparison out there (future music, sos,...)???
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

which of the three units has the best price-value ratio.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nott View Post
which features do you mean?!!
Too many to list:

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m905/m905.htm
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Also just got a Grace M905 at a studio where I work and it is a fantastic, well-thought out, great sounding box with an easy to navigate remote (and I love that the remote has a DB meter built into it)! The features are excellent and it does everything I would want it to do. Converters are amazing on it (and there's lot of them).

I had an Avocet at my own studio a few years back and it was also a great box - I like the remote on the M905 better. Can't compare sound quality except to say that neither one was getting in the way of the sound at all! Between the two, I'd just choose between features, ergonomics and cost.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I own the new Avocet Remote II - couldn't be happier! Builty quality, handling/feel, features and flexibility is awesome. Love the box and can highly recommend it. Either the Avocet or the m905 seem to be pretty perfect and complete units!
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by priko View Post
Have you actually heard a 905? I work on an Avocet into ATC SCM50s quite a bit. Yesterday I finally got to hear a 905 through some SCM25s. It was fantastic.

The old 904 was every bit as transparent as an Avocet. The 905 is at a different level and the functions awesome. It's a great piece.

Last edited by Philip Parker; 30th October 2013 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a 905 and am very happy. As mentioned, the remote and programming are very well thought out and the sound quality was definitely a step up from the crappy monitor section of my console.

I could say I 'think' it sounds better than an Avocet, but I'd only be guessing. I don't have one here. The Grace looks like it sounds much better, and it has a slightly larger feature set, that felt like it was worth the extra $500.
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

Just got my 905 setup yesterday and am loving it. I would agree with the above post that I 'think' it may sound better than an Avocet but I have no way to qualify that.

Here's what I do know: The GUI is excellent. Programability and setup ability is easy and extremely flexible. It's basically the hub of the studio and does an amazing job and at it.

The DA sounds fantastic and is substantially more clear than the DA on my Symphony. I do not find it to be thin in the low end at all. Very nice and I am looking forward to mixing on it.

One thing that surprised me is how light the ACU is. I've used a lot of grace stuff in the past including their early preamps and they are all very robust feeling. The ACU is on the lighter side but I would assume this is because it is missing a lot of the things that more 'colored' gear employs (ie transformers).

All in all I'm stoked.
Old 23rd November 2013
Lives for gear

Verve .. a couple of years back Stereophile magazine reviewed the m903 and both subjective and measured performance was excellent, contrary to the negativity that you read around here.
Old 23rd November 2013
Gear Nut

The dangerous source probably has the best bang for the buck that I have seen, but I realize that this one was not included in your choices. The source was missing a few key features that were a deal breaker for me like lack of mono switch, 3 monitor selections and sub on off switch. Also I think the main volume control is not based on relays, but I'm not 100% sure.

I have the Dangerous music monitor ST and it's really nice. I can't compare it to the Grace since I didn't really look into it with any detail. The ST has a feature set that matched exactly what I wanted and that's why I bought it. It's also very flexible and transparent. It will not be a limiting factor in you studio sound/monitoring quality. The avocet is of similar quality from what I have read.
Old 5th December 2013
Gear Head
I had the Dangerous source, Kush Audio Main Gain and some cheaper monitor controllers and now do own an Avocet II for almost a year. My recommendation is to really get the Crane Song. You might prefer the sound of your other Metric Halo DA Converters at first sight but to me the Avocets DA translates like no other to the outside world, it is stunning. The Dangerous I heard was a great bang for buck for sure, but IMO no real contest to the Avocet. You might wanna test the units yourself though. Never had the chance to listen to the Grace.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Nut

You guys still loving the Grace m905? I'm thinking about picking one up in the next couple of weeks.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

absolutely loving the Grace m905. have also heard the Dangerous running via analogue and a new avid interface. both sound awesome.

like that the dangerous can have roll offs on the sub, but so far have not had any problems with the sub options on the Grace.

Love how you can route a digital input to its output section. Easy way of recording your mac output into your DAW for example.

The controller is far and away the best I have used, and its sound quality is as much as anyone could ask for.

I also love having my stems feeding the adat inputs. And the USB connection to your mac is super handy.

Some quibbles...

I get some occasional dropouts over digital sometimes, which I believe is fixed in the latest firmware, though I haven't managed to install it yet.

Also a tiny bit of cross feed from the Cue feed into the monitor paths if I listen closely.

Overall though, I would say it is one of the nicest things I have used
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Guru

I have the Avocet here, I think you are pretty good to go with any of them, but I would say Avocet or Grace, Grace looks to pretty to me if its about looks to. The Avocet has all you mentioned that you were looking for.

This stuff is way about the low and medium based stuff you would buy at GC etc, like the control central, I hated that thing.
I am doing the same as post 5 but no 5.1 and its amazing, dropping right out of my HEDD AES.
Old 31st January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroMike View Post
You guys still loving the Grace m905? I'm thinking about picking one up in the next couple of weeks.
Its pretty rad.

It just does so much in the way of routing and it has such a flexible interface, which I think it the highlight for the unit. The DA is an improvement over my Symphony DA but it isn't like day and night. More mid level detail and less low end distortion.

The way the IO is set up I can see a nod towards project studios with no mixing desk, which is exactly my setup. For instance, if I had external summing I could route stems out of Pro Tools into a summer, buss comp and onto tape then bring that 2 track back into the Balanced inputs and toggle between Pro Tools sum and Analog sum. I can toggle to the Cue and hear what the musicians are hearing. I could pass AES or SPDIF through the digital loop through MasterLink then monitor that digital signal back through as well. The talkback is very handy. Theres so much more.

It has more Digital IO than I think I will need though. I would like to have one more balanced In instead of say the ADAT.

Its pretty well thought out.
Old 1st February 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks for the update guys, I'm excited to get mine! Verve, my setup will be very similar to what you explained, thanks for the feedback.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Nut

So, I've been using the m905 for about a week and I am very happy with it. This is an excellent product.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

as mentioned earlier I own the Avocet II, I use it daily for 5-8hours since more than half a year now and I absolutely love this controller. when it comes to "grace vs. crane" song I think it's all personal preference, both boxes offer everything you need for accurate monitoring. I also worked with the m905 at my friends place, decent box as well! but for me, the avocet offers better ergonomics, more comfortable buttons and easier access to all function such as HP setup etc. last but not least - I love the look of the unit.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

I have an Avocet and love it other than the random resets.

I'm curious to try the Shadow Hills Oculus.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac
The Grace m905 is killer. So many features, inputs and outputs....the remote and the sound is wonderful. I also have a Dangerous D-Box I was monitoring through at first. Now the D-Box is only being used for it's additional 8 summing inputs to go with my Dangerous 2Bus. The D-Box monitoring section really sounds good, but I needed more inputs and outputs as well as a few other features that fit my needs. The usb is wonderful as well. You can receive 2 channels and stream 10 channels of audio back to your computer....sweet. I'm very happy and I think most people would be with the m905.
Old 13th March 2014
+1 for the Avocet
Love mine !

R.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

Yea, Avocet rock solid here. Will never get rid of it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search