The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BAE 1023 vs 1084 for Guitars, Bass and Vocals?
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

BAE 1028 vs 1084 for Guitars, Bass and Vocals?

I know the 1028 is "holy grail" EQ but $$$.

I will only using it for guitars, bass, vocals and wonder if 1084 or 1023 has "enough" EQ points for this?

Do you guys (1084, 1023 owners) feel you would need the extra points from 1028 for this purpose?

An versatile alternative LTD-1 and 1084 instead?

Greatful for helping me spending money wisely.

Last edited by Simma Lugnt; 10th October 2013 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: 1023 vs 1028 vs 1084
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

Why is the 1028 the holy grail?

Afaik its based on the 1081?
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

Donno, you tell me

Most EQ points?
Old 11th October 2013
Lives for gear

Isn't the PRE and do the same? Just diff eq points?
Old 11th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post
Isn't the PRE and do the same? Just diff eq points?

Yes, it is but i wonder about the EQ needs...
Old 11th October 2013
Lives for gear

I usually just run another clean eq in front of my vintage eqs so I have full control. Example, take a Speck eq or similar (which has nearly unlimited control, fully parametric, full range of sweepable frequencies, etc), and stick that in front of a Neve 1073 or API 550A (great sounding vintage units with very little control)... now you have the best of both worlds. This is one easy way to deal with the issue. Even the BAE 1023 is not going to give you fully sweepable control plus full parametric control etc. Having said that, I do find my BAE 1084s quite capable on their own, in general, considering.
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
I usually just run another clean eq in front of my vintage eqs so I have full control. Example, take a Speck eq or similar (which has nearly unlimited control, fully parametric, full range of sweepable frequencies, etc), and stick that in front of a Neve 1073 or API 550A (great sounding vintage units with very little control)... now you have the best of both worlds. This is one easy way to deal with the issue. Even the BAE 1023 is not going to give you fully sweepable control plus full parametric control etc. Having said that, I do find my BAE 1084s quite capable on their own, in general, considering.

If you started from scratch, would you rather buy separate units 1073mp and EQ?
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simma Lugnt View Post
I know the 1028 is "holy grail" EQ but $$$.

has that even been used on a any big records?
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simma Lugnt View Post

If you started from scratch, would you rather buy separate units 1073mp and EQ?
Well, it really depends on the job at hand. With some tracks, a sole 1084 might be all that's needed... and then indeed a sole 1084 will be the best thing.

But other times a track may need more surgical sculpting, in those cases I will almost always run two eqs, first a clean "surgical" eq (Speck, GML, etc), then follow it with a "character eq" (550A, 1073, whatever).

It's impossible to really say which route is "better". If you find that the music you work with most often does not need careful, "surgical sculpting", then maybe just a 1084 or even 1028 will be fine. But if you're dealing with very dense, busy, complicated mixes etc where you're trying to get a large number of tracks to all fit together just right etc, you're going to want maximum eq control. If so, likely you'll wind up wanting / needing more than one eq on a number of tracks etc.

It's just a decision you'll need to make on your own. Regardless, you can't go wrong with either a 1084 or 1028 etc. The 1084 is quite capable overall and can usually get you where you need to go IF your source tracks are of excellent quality to begin with. The 1028 will be just that much more capable.
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
Why is the 1028 the holy grail?

Afaik its based on the 1081?
Hi

It's based on a 1073 with more frequency choices. The 1081 is a totally different animal, circuit wise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S4
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I don't really use the BAE 1084 on vox (I don't think it's clear or forward enough for me.) but for someone who does, the 8k on the 1028 would be useful. Same with snare.

As far as guitars the 1084 eq works well. I do wish 900 & 2.5k were available but as mentioned above you're probably going to be stacking a more flexible eq with it anyway. 900 & 2.5k are not available on the 1023 or 1028 either.

Bass wise I'm usually using the mid band to boost the attack, but in a cutting situation 500hz on the 1023 & 1028 might prove useful.

Quote:
Do you guys (1084, 1023 owners) feel you would need the extra points from 1028 for this purpose?
With the 1084 the limiting factor isn't really the available frequencies, it's the limited number of bands, particularly the mids. You're always deciding a trade off of cutting 360 or 700hz vs boosting/cutting 1.5, 4, or 7k areas or whatever. The 1023 and 1028 still will have this situation.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SighBorg View Post

...With the 1084 the limiting factor isn't really the available frequencies, it's the limited number of bands, particularly the mids. You're always deciding a trade off of cutting 360 or 700hz vs boosting/cutting 1.5, 4, or 7k areas or whatever. The 1023 and 1028 still will have this situation.
Very good point.

OP: All the more reason to realize that in many situations you'll want to be sticking a heavy-duty, four-band eq in front of the Neve.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Thank you SignBorg & 666666 for your input and saving me $$$.

I think i will buy separate units for more control as you mentioned... I had a deal on 1023 that didn't went through...now i'm happy about it in retrospect.
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

Just got a bae 1028 with a manley reference C. What is Mic 60-80 for? it sounds distorted over there. for vocals where should I hang out in? 35-25, and then crank the output? and stay at 1200ohm?. Those eqs.. wow! now I understand...
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
Just got a bae 1028 with a manley reference C. What is Mic 60-80 for? it sounds distorted over there. for vocals where should I hang out in? 35-25, and then crank the output? and stay at 1200ohm?. Those eqs.. wow! now I understand...
Hi

Basically the rule is (with any preamp) to have the output level pot (if fitted) at maximum and to bring up the red gain knob a step at a time, with whatever sound you are recording, until the level you are recording hits around 0VU or -18dBfS.

Then leave that red knob at that setting to preserve adequate headroom.

The actual level depends on the loudness of the source, the microphone used, how far from the mic the source is and to some extent, soundwise, the environment. There is no typical level with those variants but 60 to 80 is for low output mics and quiet sources.

Old 19th July 2015
Gear Head
I just got a 1028 last week and it's absolutely crushing on vocals! I'm using it with a Manley ref c and a cl1b. The 1028 has such a thick creamy color. It's another world entirely.
Old 20th July 2015
Gear Maniac

I would try what some people have suggested and run a different eq like the hammer by a designs I've been very happy with it even after using the 1073
Old 15th July 2019
I use a pair of Bae 1084's for everything, vocals, bass guitar, drums, acoustic guitars, i love them will all of my heart.
Old 19th July 2019
I had a question,
I see on the bae website that the 1023 is completely hardwired, but it doesn’t say that for their 1084 ?
I thought they were all hand wired ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search