The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube Tech ME1B vs Pultec MEQM-5
Old 21st January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post

On another note I don't find my Pulse Techniques EQ's to have ANY issues with hum or noise.
me either, I have the tube model. Using it on vocals and guitars so far..
Old 21st January 2014
I need to do a bit more research but it sounds like its a good one What would the SS (API gain stage) version be like?
Old 22nd January 2014
More discussion please! I'm so exited to have one. I feel its going to really fill a much desired gap.

Other than using it tracking Vox, I have a Dangerous Master and thought about using it on the midside/ MS buss? Has anyone here ever used it for such a chain?

I ordered the MEQ-5 today. So excited! Tubes and copper. yummy.
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
...Compared to fixed Q eq's like the API 5500 the MEQ5 feels (I haven't measured it) to substantially affect twice the range of the API...
sorry - just to clarify: afaik the API 5500 has proportional Q. Is that also considered "fixed Q" ?

Old 22nd January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
sorry - just to clarify: afaik the API 5500 has proportional Q. Is that also considered "fixed Q" ?

Sorry for any confusion. I was trying to say I was comparing it to an EQ that had no user adjustment for the Q (API 2500) as opposed to the other EQ's I own like a Focusrite 215, Avalon 2055 or the EQ's in my board which have controls for adjusting Q's.
Old 24th January 2014
[QUOTE=audiokid;9775674]I'm looking at this too. I'm thinking the MEQ-5 for vocals? Are you still happy Frenchie?[/

So happy with the Pulse Techniques MEQ-5 that I bought their Tube EQP-1S3 as well.
I used them in conjunction with vintage Pultecs at Sonic Ranch.
The only difference to my ear was that the reissues don't have crackly pots/knobs.
The new Pulse Techniques pieces are bringing that very "finished" sound to my recordings.
I love how the Pultec feels best when it's the last piece in line on a recording chain.
It reanimates a heavily compressed track wonderfully.
I've got two of their pieces as of now, my engineer bought another EQP-1S3.
I imagine I'll keep going until I've got 8
Old 25th January 2014
Gear Addict

Just took delivery of a pair of MEQM-5. Chaining them up with a pair of EQM-1S3 on my mastering/2 buss. Absolutely beautiful sounding EQs.
Old 25th January 2014
nice! Man, this is exactly what I want too! My MEQ-5 is on order now. I'm already thinking about getting a pair of EQM-1S3.

I'm told 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Oh my, I'm drooling.
Old 25th January 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokid View Post
nice! Man, this is exactly what I want too! My MEQ-5 is on order now. I'm already thinking about getting a pair of EQM-1S3.

I'm told 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Oh my, I'm drooling.
I just got my MEQM-5 pair so I am still trying them out on things. But so far I like what I am hearing.

I've been using my pair of EQM-1S3 for some months now. They are on everything I did since I got them. They have incredible huge low end and sweet lovely high shelves. I am pretty sure you will have this EQ. I know I'm totally in love with mine! :-)
Old 26th January 2014
Regarding EQP-1S3 vs EQP-1A3

Quote:
The EQP-1S3 is a very rare variant of the EQP-1A3, which features modified low-frequency shelf boost/atten curves, additional peak boost frequencies & high-frequency shelf boost

What was the main reason choosing the EQP-1S3 over the EQP-1A3? I read somewhere that they are similar.
Old 26th January 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Regarding EQP-1S3 vs EQP-1A3

What was the main reason choosing the EQP-1S3 over the EQP-1A3? I read somewhere that they are similar.
1S3 has 40hz and 70hz on low, 5k and 10k hi shelf.

I love the 70hz on low and 10k hi shelf on mine.
Old 27th January 2014
nOiz,

A few days now with the MEQ-5, how do you like it now!!! ???

Does sonic imprint increase colourfully as you drive them or stay basically constant no matter where your settings are? More more??? heh
Old 28th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nOiz View Post
1S3 has 40hz and 70hz on low, 5k and 10k hi shelf.

I love the 70hz on low and 10k hi shelf on mine.
Forgive my ignorance on these two.

The 1A3 appears to have more versatility over the 1S3. But the 1S3 more expensive and/ or more special?

Thanks for sharing info, I really appreciate it.
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance on these two.

The 1A3 appears to have more versatility over the 1S3. But the 1S3 more expensive and/ or more special?

Thanks for sharing info, I really appreciate it.
I guess it all depends on your application. Different freq points, high shelf. I use mine on my mastering and 2 buss chain. I picked the mastering version with ELMA switches and 1S3 model with high shelf. I can't be more happier with them.

Back to topic, things are quiet here around CNY time. Will start on some new projects after the holiday. Then I can really put my pair of MEQM-5 in some use and will report back with my findings.
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

How does the Tube Tech ME1B compare to the Pulse Techniques MEQM?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search