The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Harrison 32 EQ owners here? (Original console, UAD, Great River)
Old 7th October 2013
Any Harrison 32 EQ owners here? (Original console, UAD, Great River)

Hi,

Are there any Harrison 32 owners here?

Great River Harrison 32 EQ (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun1...ison-32-eq.htm)
UAD Harrison 32 EQ (
Bruce Swedien’s Harrison original 32c Audio Console (http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/joom...d=71&Itemid=50)

What's so special about this EQ and how do YOU use it? (sources, settings etc)
I'm very curious!
Thank you
Old 7th October 2013
Gear Nut

hey , i use the UAD version when i want something classy , sweet air for many applications , vox , piano , strings , jazz drum and many more... it's a very very good eq
Old 7th October 2013
Deleted User
I have the EQ32's in 500 format.. 'to me' they are pretty transparent and will lift areas without adding the 'sound' of being EQ'd and I can add a good bit of boost on the lows and highs without it sounding 'stupid' ...but I generally use them as broad strokes I generally use the high and low as shelves ..and I don't think of this as being 'surgical' ..more of a broad stroke thing

the filters are a bonus and are quite powerful and sound pretty steep to me ... just the thing sometimes.

If I did not have them I would want something 'like' them
Old 8th October 2013
Lives for gear

I really like mine and think they sound great. Can really add allot to stale sounding drums for me.
I just close my eyes and turn those knobs, generally how I use all my hardware EQ.
Old 8th October 2013
I have the UAD version and love it. I dont go crazy on it, but usually use it on a bus and add a tiny boost to each frequency (turn up, close eyes and pick frequency, turn back down so it's barely boosted). Once done it'll sound like you haven't done much, but then bypass it and have a holy-**** moment because it sounds like you threw a sheet on the speakers to muffle it. Activate it and then the sheet is back off. It has a real nice clarity to it that is easy to dial in.
Old 8th October 2013
Lives for gear

A couple of consoles full of them here :-)

To me it's the fun factor that's the real difference. Seems I can turn those knobs in any direction and yet there's always music coming out. Which gives the mixing process a creative freedom and puts the fun back in mixing. So it's more like "yes-yes-yes" than "no-no-no-maybe-no" when you try to dial in a sound on a track.

Martin
Old 9th October 2013
Any more maybe?
Old 9th October 2013
I have half a dozen great river eq32s

While I find it to be a good utility eq the filters are the best thing about the unit.
Old 9th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

While I find it to be a good utility eq the filters are the best thing about the unit.

i agree, for me it's the filters that really are the "magic" with these.
the eqs are capable, but the filters are what really sets these apart.
Old 9th October 2013
Lives for gear
well how about 8 chanels with case for about $150? theyre called harrison ford filters and are the hi/low filters from tthe gr/harrison console.
Old 9th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
well how about 8 chanels with case for about $150? theyre called harrison ford filters and are the hi/low filters from tthe gr/harrison console.
Where do I send my money?
Old 1st December 2013
Old 2nd December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by erol View Post
Any more maybe?
what do you want to know exactly?
how many people need to tell you they're awesome?
i have 12 MR2 channels and think they sound great.
variable Q means they can be surgical or broad.

never used the great river so can't comment there.
Old 2nd December 2013
Lives for gear

Great flexible eq's. The GR 32 sounds great and the filters are great! They are great problem solvers.
Old 2nd December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by erol View Post
Hi,

Are there any Harrison 32 owners here?

Great River Harrison 32 EQ (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun1...ison-32-eq.htm)
UAD Harrison 32 EQ (
Bruce Swedien’s Harrison original 32c Audio Console (http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/joom...d=71&Itemid=50)

What's so special about this EQ and how do YOU use it? (sources, settings etc)
I'm very curious!
Thank you
great mid carving!
Old 2nd December 2013
Lives for gear

The UAD version is probably my most used EQ. It has a way of being subtle and assertive at the same time. I love it.
As has been said, the filters are just awesome. My favorite HPF by far.
Old 3rd December 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Actually they are not from either GR or Harrison.

FYI very soon we will be introducing the Harrison 832c which is a 1U unit with 8 pair of Harrison 32c HP LP filters. We designed it to mate nicely with our Lineage unit which has 8 preamps (2 each of 4 different vintages). We are building the first proto run now.

More to come…

Gary Thielman
Harrison Consoles
Old 3rd December 2013
Gear Maniac

We use two of the 500-series modules and while they are pretty "transparent" they are certainly not my first choice to use for a tracking or mixing EQ. They don't feel very responsive, and there seems to be a disconnect between what the knob positions are telling you and what you hear. I also don't feel like the pre-set "Q" is as "musical" as others.
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

anyone else want to chime in?

Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

I just got them a little while ago. First mix up was a heavy metal mix, tried in on some stuff, didn't fit. But I work on real extreme ends of the spectrum so I'm sure in the next project I will find something for it. Though I'm not done with this project, two of the songs have quite a bit of acoustic guitars and slow parts so I will try on that. In the meantime more user input would be great. I'll be sure to report once I find a suitable application for them.
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear
I like the UAD Harrison on drums.
I find it to be a very versatile eq. Easy to go from a dark vintage vibe, to glassy and modern.
Having said that, I haven't used it for about a year
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
anyone else want to chime in?

Yeah- I will give my 2 cents.

Filters are useful, very steep, can do some cool stuff with them.

The eq- does a reasonably subtle lift or cut over a reasonably wide area.

I find the high shelf great, the eq in a way shines for boosting high end by shelf boost. To me this is one of the high points- using in feed forward (ie open modern sound).

For aggressive low end and mids boosts- are more suitable eqs for that aggressive boost in a focused zone area such as Little Devil eqs, or avedis e27.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 7th September 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Harrison 32Eq owner here and echoing what many have said the Filters on this unit are fantastic. But I also feel the EQ's on the rest of the unit sound very good too! It has a flavor and tone and I only use mine in FB mode specifically to have that flavor/tone available to me. I've A/B the 32EQ against the UAD Harrison EQ and its not even close. Nowhere is it more evident then in the Filter section.

My most common use of the 32EQ is on Vox where I'll make subtle (less than 4db of additive/subtractive) gain to get the Vox to sound the way I want them. Works great, to me, on doing this musically.
Old 7th September 2014
Very musical EQ. I use it often on a wide variety of sources. Really like it on bass and voice.
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear
I had the Harrison 32, boring a s#it..
filters are tricky because the range is very coarse
1mm left or right changes way too much
ymmv
Old 7th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
ymmv
Yes it might.
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
Yes it might.
You just said you never used the great river few post above
and yet...
Old 9th September 2014
Quote:
and yet...
i can still say that the harrison filters are very useful.
Old 9th September 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
I had the Harrison 32, boring a s#it..
filters are tricky because the range is very coarse
1mm left or right changes way too much
ymmv
Boring? lol That's a first I've heard anyone call it that...I actually found the Daking EQ500 boring and recently returned it. I guess we all have our tastes. I do agree that the filters are very sensitive but I haven't it found it to slow or hinder me from anything.
Old 9th September 2014
I loves my stereo pair.
The only thing I havent liked it on yet is distorted guitars.
📝 Reply