The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Harrison 32 EQ owners here? (Original console, UAD, Great River)
Old 17th September 2014
Gear Guru

I really like the UAD Harrison. I'm a little EQ heavy as far as plugins goes right now, but I'd be pretty happy if it were my only channel EQ. Don't know if I'd like it as much on the 2buss.

I just ordered a Great River for my lunchbox, just because I like to track with EQ and want something portable. I was looking for something to go with my 1073LB, and the Great River came along at the right price. Haven't received it yet, so I don't know what it's like yet.
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I really like the UAD Harrison. I'm a little EQ heavy as far as plugins goes right now, but I'd be pretty happy if it were my only channel EQ. Don't know if I'd like it as much on the 2buss.

I just ordered a Great River for my lunchbox, just because I like to track with EQ and want something portable. I was looking for something to go with my 1073LB, and the Great River came along at the right price. Haven't received it yet, so I don't know what it's like yet.
And a great few years later... What are your thoughts on the combination?

I have a 1073lb and would like to either add the 1073lb eq (with the insert function), 611eq or the GRHarrison 32. It will be used on Vox..
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotion View Post
And a great few years later... What are your thoughts on the combination? I have a 1073lb and would like to either add the 1073lb eq (with the insert function), 611eq or the GRHarrison 32. It will be used on Vox..
I own a GR Harrison 32 module, two original vintage Harrison 32-series channelstrips and the UAD plugin version.
I would most certainly use neighter one on vocals.
I also have the AMS Neve 1073lb with the 1073lb eq module, as you described. But I wouldn‘t use that on vocals neighter, since I luckily also am the proud owner of a real vintage Neve 1075, which sounds WAY better than the reissue by AMS, imho.
My go to EQ for vocals would be my trusty Avedis E27 module!!! Make sure to consider this, if you are in the market for a Neve flavoured EQ. Ty my ears, it simply is the best sounding 500 series EQ of all out there.
Also the RND portico stuff sounds better than those modern AMS Neves. Same goes with Heritage and BAE.

BTW, speaking of working with the Harrisons on a daily basis:
The Harrison is one of the very few plugins, that really comes quite close to the original unit. Also the Great River is close to indistinguishable from the vintage ones. Given the fact that we all understood that a channel EQ from a classic desk should not be viewed outside of its surrounding desk. A colleague of mine owns a real 32 series desk. When I ran some track through it, I suddenly understood what people mean, if they say that you shouldn’t remove a small part of a desk and think it will give you THE sound...

Given the fact that you consider two VERY different sounding vintage colouring EQ flavours for your setup, why not think about something very different, that not everybody uses? I have a racked MCI 500 channel and a vintage Trident. Both have gorgeous EQs, that I used on some big productions as vocal EQs with great success. Artists loved it! They are somehow strange in sound, but that really can make a big difference in a mix and help you to set sounds apart. Vintage Studer, Siemens, TAB/Telefunken or Neumann also comes to my mind...
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Addict

About your question regarding SSL 611: definitely not my thing for vocals.
Again, please don’t make the common mistake to think „but CLA or Michael Brauer also EQ their vocals on a SSL desk, and it sounds phantastic“. It does. On their consoles. Not on the average SSL 611 500-series module.
The 611 is a great little helper, that gets used a lot here for synths, Rhodes, room mics. But never on the „money“ signals... I‘d rather use a plugin on a vocal, than the 611. But probably it’s a matter of taste, too.
If you like, send me a short vocal snippet and a music playback on seperate tracks, and I can try to record a few examples, illustrating what I was writing about.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Addict

Do you guys know this video:
https://youtu.be/GfyZu080SqM
For my taste, this illustrates best, what a great piece of hardware can do on a signal, even if it’s just on crappy youtube. When plugins can do that magic, I’ll go ITB. Not earlier.
Old 8th August 2020
I love my UAD Harrison 32C on elgtr- it’s perfect - I would love the HW version for that task as well
📝 Reply