The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Flea 12 v t-funk C12
Old 7th October 2013
Flea 12 v t-funk C12

Anyone heard them side by side? Thoughts? Opinions? Sound files?
Old 7th October 2013
Lives for gear

I found this video and this guys tube mic channel are pretty decent and entertaining...and his wife is hot too!

Tube Tests Show Ep.26 "Telefunken U47, FLEA 47 and Vintage U47" - YouTube
Old 7th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
I found this video and this guys tube mic channel are pretty decent and entertaining...and his wife is hot too!

Mmm ...
Old 8th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post

Man I watched about 10 of those. Conclusion- impossible to say how they will translate to your own space but just about every mic they demo sounds great. I was especially impressed by the flea 49 next on the wife's voice. Sounded crazy good.
Old 8th October 2013
Lives for gear

I heard them both side by side I liked the telefunken c12 better. I posted this on GS several months ago and went into a bit more detail in the post . I'll have to find the post.

At the same time I compared the flea 12 and the tele c12 I did also compare the flea u47 and a Neumann u47 and while I'm still trying to get the owner of this particular u47 to sell it to me I am very happy with the flea u47 I subsequently bought. Outstanding mic and Ivan is a very nice guy and quite responsive to his customers and passionate about his mics just as the great folks at teleusa. Really can't go wrong with either of these mic makers. It's nice to see small boutique makers making mics like high end Swiss watchmakers make their high end watches.

The quality of the tele 251 is so good i recently bought a tele 260 which is pairing up wonderfully with my Neumann k84. It may not be for times when you need tightly matched pairs but I've been very happy with these mics on acoustic guitar. I would also unhesitatingly buy a flea m49 if I find I need the m49 thing.

Trev here is my original post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
Anyway it seems like the FLEA mics are the GS darlings of the moment. And since I value the opinions of the GS community I jumped at the chance to check them out along with the classic Neumann U47

Anyway

First up Flea 12. Very nice microphone, build quality seems to be similar to my Tele C12.

The first thing I notice is that the flea has a very nice open midrange, a touch more open then my Tele C12, however I could get more low end out of the Tele C12 via proximity which I like. The big differences were in the mids and highs. I don't know if it's an anomaly because I've never used an AKG C12 but the Tele C12 has this lush silkiness to the midrange that reminds me of a very nice u67 I used. Don't get me wrong the 67 had more midrange prominence and slightly less high end but the silkiness or sheen on the Tele C12 really reminds me of vintage Neumann.

The Flea 12 in comparison was a bit more dry and open through the mids nicely detailed and warm not strident at all. Up top, while the Tele was buttery and shimmery the Flea 12 was a bit more powdery. Surprisingly, despite the slightly more open perspective of the Flea it seemed to provide a bit less ambience as it captured a little less of the room. The Tele really got every last detail as of the room which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the room but it did give the Tele C12 a little more 3d air.

I have to say I really liked the Flea12 on my Martin D28 custom shop. It has Madagascar Rosewood back and sides and Adirondack Spruce top. It's a cannon but very hard to record because it has a ton of swirling overtones warm mids with extended highs and lows. With some mics it can sound a bit mushy while others it can sound too bright. The Flea12 did a very nice job of capturing the overall tone of this guitar. It was a little less extended and big compared to my Tele 251 but it still provided a very nice natural perspective that would work well with minimal EQ.

On vocals the Flea12 was nice but at least on my voice seemed not as 3 dimensional and big as as the other mics I've used. Still being able to sound open and detailed without sounding shrill or boomy is a very admirable characteristic that many other mics lack. All in all the Flea12 is certainly an impressive high quality tool.

Next up the Flea47. Ok the minute I sing into this mic I was like who flipped on the 50s matinee crooner plugin. I was trying to remember old Coleporter songs to sing. judging from the expression of my friend and some of the other people in the room I thought someone was going to tell me to step away from the mic.

What can I say. This Flea47 had the sound I think of when I think of the archetypical U47 sound. This mic is warm big lush and almost seems to have a slight sonic spotlight in the lower mids because the texture of your voice is so palpable through this mic.

However when the original Neumann u47 was put up I have to say my perspective changed slightly. The tonal spectrum of the Flea47 and the Neumann were close but the Neumann was just a bit more natural and effortless sounding almost as if it were more ease with itself. While I could get that big crooner style from the Neumann U47, I felt I could also just sing through it and it sounded big warm natural effortless. The FLEA 47 while exciting seemed a little hyped and a touch harder in comparison. I guess it's like Roger Moore (Neumann) vs Pierce Brosnan (Flea). Pierce is a great Bond but to me Roger is just the quintessential 70s English spy badass.

At the end of the day I can say I felt fortunate to get to play with some of the best mics available. I have a new appreciation for my Tele C12 and 251 just incredible mics I feel fortunate to own. I think finding the perfect vintage U47 (is you have the means) is certainly a worthwhile quest. And the Flea 47/48 is on my shortlist of future mics to I'd like to own for that U47 flavor. I am trying to purchase that vintage U47 I auditioned but I doubt the owner will part with it.
Old 8th October 2013
7+1
Lives for gear

Ive heard them side by side... and i can say that at the time i liked the telefunken a little more than the flea.. and i mean just a little more.. it seemed to have a little more smoothness. just a little more.

but after i had both of the flea 12s here modded, i wouldnt even consider the telefunken..

..and for what you can get the telefunken for, we got a pair of Flea12s.
Old 8th October 2013
Gear Nut
Marc, What did you mod on your Flea 12's?
Old 8th October 2013
Lives for gear
What's the mod to Flea C12? Capsule change or else?
Old 8th October 2013
7+1
Lives for gear

Hi David,

a little here and there... had one flea12 from a while ago before Tim Campbell started doing the caps for Flea. Flea mics, coming from overseas.. i didnt have the time to loose one of the 12s for a while...

so i had Toby Foster do a little tweek to the older one and put a new Ck12 in it to match the new one. He also did some simple tweeks to both and i believe a transformer swap.

As far as the stock flea12.. i still think theyre really wonderful sounding.. just needed the extra 10%.

Over all.. Im very satisfied with them and use both every single day.
Old 8th October 2013
Lives for gear

And now for something completely different.

TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik make great microphones. The people that work in their facility in CT are indeed dedicated mic people enthusiastic about their craft.

Flea make great microphones too.

Try every single mic you can get your hands on. And fall in love with many.
Old 8th October 2013
Lives for gear

Had a FleA 47, 49 & 12 here a couple of years ago (2011) and out of the 3 the 12 was the least liked.
The 47 & 49 sounded very good but maybe there must have been something wrong with that 12. The US sales person could not confirm if it had a CT capsule in it & since we were trying out the mics we didn't open them up.
Old 8th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Buy FLEA and never look back.
Telefunken USA is a microphone marketing company and car racing company.
FLEA is a real microphone company run by dedicated mic people who are not in the fashion industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
And now for something completely different.

TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik make great microphones. The people that work in their facility in CT are indeed dedicated mic people enthusiastic about their craft.

Flea make great microphones too.

Try every single mic you can get your hands on. And fall in love with many.
Thanks gentlemen but I'm not buying the company. I'm buying a microphone. FWIW I have a tele 251 and U47. I haven't heard any Flea. Ultimately I guess I need to get them in side by side. I just wondered if there was a clear view on the better of the two. Obviously there is not.
Old 9th October 2013
I recently did shootouts of about a dozen mics with two different artists and the Flea 12 was among them. I'm not sure if something was wrong with it but it sounded "off" right off the bat. I'm personally not a fan of the 87Ai but we put it in the test just for reference and it was tied with the FLEA for dead last in both tests. They were the only two that everyone agreed just didn't sound good. The T-Funk C12 definitely sounded better although it wasn't the winner and didn't sound quite like a real C12 fwiw.
Old 9th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio View Post
I recently did shootouts of about a dozen mics with two different artists and the Flea 12 was among them. I'm not sure if something was wrong with it but it sounded "off" right off the bat. I'm personally not a fan of the 87Ai but we put it in the test just for reference and it was tied with the FLEA for dead last in both tests. They were the only two that everyone agreed just didn't sound good. The T-Funk C12 definitely sounded better although it wasn't the winner and didn't sound quite like a real C12 fwiw.
This is useful and is the kind of thing that prompted my initial post. There have been a number of posts by people who say that their Flea sounded off or broken. I guess fundamentally I just need to hear them side by side.
Old 9th October 2013
7+1
Lives for gear

Quote:
youre the third person ive heard from Los Angeles stating they demoed the flea12 and felt something was wrong with it...

Im wondering if its the same mic going around?
Old 9th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 View Post
youre the third person ive heard from Los Angeles stating they demoed the flea12 and felt something was wrong with it...

I will drop a line to them and make sure they get it checked out by FLEA just in case. I'm sure they would want to know about it and fix it if there was an issue so people can get a true picture of what it is capable of. I know I would want to know if one of our units was not working properly.
Old 16th January 2015
Lives for gear

What's the difference between a c12 and a c800g and a manley in terms of sound
Old 16th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
What's the difference between a c12 and a c800g and a manley in terms of sound
Everything.
Old 16th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 View Post

Probably not related but here is a FLEA on Ebay!

Flea 12 v t-funk C12Flea Microphones 47 with UF14 | eBay

Wish I didn't have to buy construction materials right now!
Old 16th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Everything.
good open-ended answer...
Old 17th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
good open-ended answer...

A wise man once said talking about sounds is like dancing about architecture. While these mics all sound quite different in practice (and I'm presuming for these purposes you are referring to the Manley Gold) they all tend toward being quite bright in character.
Old 17th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

A wise man once said talking about sounds is like dancing about architecture. While these mics all sound quite different in practice (and I'm presuming for these purposes you are referring to the Manley Gold) they all tend toward being quite bright in character.
no even worse, a ref C lol
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what mics did you like best, then?
Old 20th January 2015
I just want to add that I have used the new Telefunken Re-issue C12 and I think it is a very nice microphone. I haven't compared it to a vintage one directly, but having used this mic a whole lot I think it sounds very good.
Old 21st January 2015
Gear Addict

I think I own tf one that Adam used pretty extensively in the past - it is beautiful. Gets used every single day on something. Wish I had 2.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search