The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking at purchasing Neve 1081 or BAE?
Old 27th September 2006
Gear Addict

Looking at purchasing Neve 1081 or BAE?

Just wondering how good the BAE 1081s are instead of the Neve. I think they are cheaper too. I have looked around this site but just wanted a little more input before going ahead with my decision
Old 27th September 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicondonn View Post
Just wondering how good the BAE 1081s are instead of the Neve. I think they are cheaper too. I have looked around this site but just wanted a little more input before going ahead with my decision
BAE doesn't make a 1081... Are you thinking of the 1084?
Old 27th September 2006
Gear Addict

Yes that is what I'm talking about
the Neve 1081 or the BAE 1084, is the BAE worthy of standing up to the Neve? I exspect them to be diferent I just want that close as possible sound
Old 27th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
the Neve 1081 or the BAE 1084, is the BAE worthy of standing up to the Neve? I exspect them to be diferent I just want that close as possible sound
might want to look into getting a pre from Eisen Audio.

http://www.eisenaudio.com/

i just put the down payment on my first Neve-ish pre from them. im having them completely custom build it for me cuz im an idiot with DIY. still is coming out to a lot less than youd pay for a BAE 1073 or 1074. of course, i cant say that it will be at that 1074 level because, well, ive never heard the pre! but from what i hear, Eisen has nothing but satisfied customers. ill definitely be reporting here on GS when i get mine
Old 28th September 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
might want to look into getting a pre from Eisen Audio.

http://www.eisenaudio.com/

i just put the down payment on my first Neve-ish pre from them. im having them completely custom build it for me cuz im an idiot with DIY. still is coming out to a lot less than youd pay for a BAE 1073 or 1074. of course, i cant say that it will be at that 1074 level because, well, ive never heard the pre! but from what i hear, Eisen has nothing but satisfied customers. ill definitely be reporting here on GS when i get mine
I would hold off on recommending it as a substitute for someone looking for a Neve 1084. From what I understand he is using the Carnhill version of the 10468, which is fine, but from there everything else is completely different. There are many other variables that contribute to the Neve sound. The L01166 gapped transformer is a big part of it, tanulum caps, voltage, etc.... all contribute to the sound. It's the sum of all the parts. There are a lot of inherent problems with trying to get the Neve sound out of the 500 series format, not the least of which is the +/- 16 volt bipolar power supply units. So, while I have no doubts his DIY preamp is quite good, I can't say that it will sound anything remotely close to a Neve preamp.
Old 28th September 2006

Quote:
I answered in your other thread that I feel the BAE stuff is quite good, and as close to the "vintage Neve" sound as the new AMS units. I don't think there's much question that they are of the same quality. But, I'm confused... Are you just looking for a good EQ, or are you wanting a Neve EQ? In your other thread I was under the impression you were looking for a great EQ unit with specific qualities, but in this thread it appears you are looking for strictly a Neve EQ. Maybe we could get a thread merge here....

Just a quick question... Have you ever used a Neve 1084 or 1081? If not, what makes you believe that that is the EQ sound you desire? Don't get me wrong they are great, but I would at least put that question out there to try to save you from spending a bunch of money on something you think is one thing, but is really quite different (in terms of sound).
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

Chalk and cheese...

The 1081 has powerful four band EQ with switchable HiQ on the mids and shelving/peaking on the LF and HF... but it's class AB.

The 1084 is a three band EQ, with switchable Hi-Q on the mid selections, but with the lovely BA283/AV class A sound.

I don't know why you are comparing two completely different modules.

Why not compare the Neve 1073 to the BAE 1073 and create a level playing field?

Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I would hold off on recommending it as a substitute for someone looking for a Neve 1084. From what I understand he is using the Carnhill version of the 10468, which is fine, but from there everything else is completely different. There are many other variables that contribute to the Neve sound. The L01166 gapped transformer is a big part of it, tanulum caps, voltage, etc.... all contribute to the sound. It's the sum of all the parts. There are a lot of inherent problems with trying to get the Neve sound out of the 500 series format, not the least of which is the +/- 16 volt bipolar power supply units. So, while I have no doubts his DIY preamp is quite good, I can't say that it will sound anything remotely close to a Neve preamp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post

i just put the down payment on my first Neve-ish pre from them.
i never said for him to use it as a substitute. just said it was something to maybe look into.
Old 28th September 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
1081's and 1084's are great but different sounding units.
..Geoff and Tony Summed it up pretty well.

Brent Averill makes great sounding 1073 and 1084 copiesthumbsup

But..PLEASE do yourself a big favor and try to get some units for comparison..
most reputable [Vintage King/Mercenary]places have a demo/return policy..

..get something that sounds right to YOU..
And in the process,NOT take a financial bath..reselling a bunch of stuff you ended up not liking .tutt

good luck
Old 26th October 2014
Lives for gear

I really like the 1081 pre better than the 1073… especially the broadcast version. Anyway to get that in 500 series… whats the closest to it pre wise without the eq?
Old 23rd December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
I really like the 1081 pre better than the 1073… especially the broadcast version. Anyway to get that in 500 series… whats the closest to it pre wise without the eq?
I'm in the same boat. Right now it's Chameleon Labs 581 or VintageDesign M581. I'd love to find more!
Old 23rd December 2014

Quote:
I answered in your other thread that I feel the BAE stuff is quite good, and as close to the "vintage Neve" sound as the new AMS units. I don't think there's much question that they are of the same quality. But, I'm confused... Are you just looking for a good EQ, or are you wanting a Neve EQ? In your other thread I was under the impression you were looking for a great EQ unit with specific qualities, but in this thread it appears you are looking for strictly a Neve EQ. Maybe we could get a thread merge here....

Just a quick question... Have you ever used a Neve 1084 or 1081? If not, what makes you believe that that is the EQ sound you desire? Don't get me wrong they are great, but I would at least put that question out there to try to save you from spending a bunch of money on something you think is one thing, but is really quite different (in terms of sound).
Just as an FYI... I made this comment 8 years ago, and a lot has changed in those 8 years. I can no longer recommend BAE products.
Old 23rd December 2014
Quote:
Just as an FYI... I made this comment 8 years ago, and a lot has changed in those 8 years. I can no longer recommend BAE products.
Why is that?
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinheronmusic View Post
Why is that?

I can't wait to hear what explanation is given here, BAE is astounding sounding gear......
Old 24th December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinheronmusic View Post
Why is that?
It's just difficult to read my old posts, as they don't reflect how I feel today. I still feel that way about the company, people and products of 8 years ago. But, I no longer support the current brand. And, that's all I have to say about it.
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's just difficult to read my old posts, as they don't reflect how I feel today. I still feel that way about the company, people and products of 8 years ago. But, I no longer support the current brand. And, that's all I have to say about it.

Hmmm.. ok ??
Old 24th December 2014
Quote:
We do......

So if anyone may have interest,

Get them while they are HOT!!!!

Which they always are.....

YMMV

Last edited by Doc Mixwell; 24th December 2014 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: clarity on who I was actually addressing
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

If you're looking at the 1081 vs something 4-band by BAE, it's the 1032 you'd need to feast your eyes on. Damn fine units.

Old 24th December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P View Post
Hmmm.. ok ??
I am not here to tell anyone not to buy something and I don't want to spread negativity.

I just want to retract the positive things I've said. Those positive feelings I had, was how I felt about that particular company, products and people back then. They don't reflect my current feelings/ reality.
Old 24th December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
We do......

So if you have any interest
Well, I obviously don't have any interest at all. So, I would appreciate if you didn't quote me like that.
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Well, I obviously don't have any interest at all. So, I would appreciate if you didn't quote me like that.
Tony,

I've been wanting to personally message you for a while, but havent yet. l have read your posts for many years and trust your judgement and opinion when eit comes to this stuff. Funny you mentioned BAE. i was recommended their products on my last post. Please take a look as I would really like your take on the matter of what you think I should do. Many thanks. Also do you mind, if I keep you as a personal contact on here if I have questions?

Enyo.
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Maniac

I realize your looking at those 2 take a look at the Pacifica by a designs you'll love it for many reasons
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can u let us know if it has do with the product/sound quality/build or more of your own personal experience with them or their pricing.

It's a big deal for someone like yourself to retract a endorsement like that.... And if it does have to with something other than your personal experience or politics with them and about the build and or sound quality... Then I think it's worth letting fellow engineers know. That is what this forum is for after all.
Old 26th December 2014
Lives for gear

Why is that? quite simply because BAE used to be:
Brent Averil Engineering.
Now....BAE has been sold and are
British Audio Engineering.

Originally Brent Averil Engineering, was one very smart chap making modules from older Neve broadcast and unloved/wanted Consoles, in say 1997 you could get a 1073 or 1081 or numerous Eq and Compressor units made up from cards and handcrafted skill, just like the Neve Audio gear from Shep in the UK. Both sides of the pond were covered. Today, it's all a totally different game....you get what you pay for, and often not even that! Hope that helps you understand the difference!
Old 26th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Why is that? quite simply because BAE used to be:
Brent Averil Engineering.
Now....BAE has been sold and are
British Audio Engineering.

Originally Brent Averil Engineering, was one very smart chap making modules from older Neve broadcast and unloved/wanted Consoles, in say 1997 you could get a 1073 or 1081 or numerous Eq and Compressor units made up from cards and handcrafted skill, just like the Neve Audio gear from Shep in the UK. Both sides of the pond were covered. Today, it's all a totally different game....you get what you pay for, and often not even that! Hope that helps you understand the difference!
This was very enlightening. Thank you.
Old 26th December 2014
Lives for gear

Who cares if someone withdraws as a fan? BAE is quality, sound is outstanding and they are built better than the AMS-Neve versions in my opinion.

Order each unit and pay for it with your credit card. Compare and contrast and hear the units at your work space. Then keep the unit that speaks to you.

That is how equipment is evaluated, delivered, and qualified today.

Leave GS and get to work.
Old 8th April 2015
Gear Head
I have heard and used the BAE 1073mpf, a pair of 10dc compressors, a dmp, and a 1028 and I can honestly say it's all outstanding and well worth the money. BAE gives a creamy, 3d sound that always stacks well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search