The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avalon and TLM 49?
Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Avalon and TLM 49?

How do these fair together. Actually is rather get just the pre amp... I need a silky, airy, sorta clean mic pre to couple with by tlm 49 for typical pop stuff. I tried to find out what mic pre the Avalon uses with no dice. I know its not the M5
Old 2nd October 2013
Good combo. Certainly "airy."
If you only need a pre the Grace is worth a try--much cheaper too. I'd also look at the Great River... I've had good luck with one of these and a TLM.
You shouldn't have any issue demoing or renting an Avalon in NYC if you want to try before you buy.
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I've used a M149 (i guess it's similar to am m49) with an avalon AD2022 and was always happy with the results. Lot's of air, smooth high end and very up front for vocals and instruments
Old 3rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox View Post
If you only need a pre the Grace is worth a try--much cheaper too
Grace also makes a channel strip that's much cheaper than the Avalon and is very nice- the m103 I believe. And it looks nice and sleek too I am one of the few on the boards who likes the 737 a lot though.
Old 3rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gregory View Post
Grace also makes a channel strip that's much cheaper than the Avalon and is very nice- the m103 I believe. And it looks nice and sleek too I am one of the few on the boards who likes the 737 a lot though.
Honestly I love the 737--I've owned a few over the years. That being said, its kinda expensive for what you get, especially in the 500 series world we live in.

You can pretty much choose any 500 series Pre, EQ and comp for around the same price as the Avalon channel strip. I love my Grace, ez1073, purple action channel strip for rap vocals.
Old 8th October 2013
Lives for gear
Avalon 737 with Neumann TLM49 is clean and thin for me..
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

What is the pre inside the 737.. do they sell it alone?
U5, or M5
Old 18th October 2013
I would go for a neve portico without the silk switch engaged. The portico and tlm49 match very well. Airy, detailed and clean is how I would describe the combo.
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox View Post
If you only need a pre the Grace is worth a try--much cheaper too..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gregory View Post

+2 on that one. The Grace M101 is much more "airy" and uncolored. I have both and love both the Av737 and the Grace BUT would definitely recommend the grace over the Avalon for what you are asking.

As for the channel strip, the only drawback is that it has the Grace 102 comp built in. I am NOT a fan of that one, and I have one...
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot guys so now it's between (which portico????) the portico, grace m101 and the great river pre!

Some singers come over and it sounds really good with the 6176, but I'm tired of the 6176 easily going into the red, there is not a whole lot of dynamic range!!!
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
Thanks a lot guys so now it's between (which portico????) the portico, grace m101 and the great river pre!

Some singers come over and it sounds really good with the 6176, but I'm tired of the 6176 easily going into the red, there is not a whole lot of dynamic range!!!
That new rupert neve designs pre/eq combo looks bonkers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search