The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Calrec PQ15 vs 1061 vs 1161 vs 1181
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Calrec PQ15 vs 1061 vs 1161 vs 1181

Aside from EQ what makes these pre amps different from one another in terms of tone? Is there much? What would make one person select one over another?
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Head

Back from the dead!

bump stike

I wanna know more about the calrec gear as well.

Anyone??
Old 7th August 2008
TRW
Lives for gear

Not sure about the 15S, been trying to find good info on that myself (schematics etc).

I think they have different transformers and run class-a single rail.

The PQ1061 and 1161 are pretty much identical. Run class-ab, all discrete, 8 amp stages with internal construction that is on par with anything neve made, and for some reason they really remind me of the Wunder PEQ1 module in terms of amp stages and general feature set compared to say a 1073.

The 1061 and 1161 run on +/-22V, and feature Sowter 3777 input, and should also use a Sowter 3955 output transformer which is a huge nickel core.

They are fast, punchy and open sounding, with some crunch to them. They are in between Neve and API, perfect for drums and guitars etc. EQ is as good as anything Neve has put out on the 33114 or 33115 modules etc...

I believe the PQ15s is a little fatter sounding...
Not sure on the 1181 but I think its very similar to the 1161 than the 15S.

-T
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Head

Cheers for the knowledge TRW.

Anyone want to comment on the 1181 / differences between this and the 1061 / 1161 modules?

Any info on the 15S?

Thanks
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
Aside from EQ what makes these pre amps different from one another in terms of tone? Is there much? What would make one person select one over another?
The PQ15's are like magic in a box.I have had 1061's,1161's and PQ15's and 14's.As far as sound there is no comparison.They work like magic on guitar,bass and vocals.They run on +24VDC while the 1161 runs on + and - 25VDC.I have all of the schematics for all of these modules and repair them.
Old 28th August 2014
Have a couple pq15s at a place in town I often track. Haven't heard the others, but the pq is fantastic. Very fat indeed. Creamy.
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

Hi guys..looking for a power supply for a Brent averill racked calrec 1061..
Can anyone help
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb3 View Post
The PQ15's are like magic in a box.I have had 1061's,1161's and PQ15's and 14's.As far as sound there is no comparison.They work like magic on guitar,bass and vocals.They run on +24VDC while the 1161 runs on + and - 25VDC.I have all of the schematics for all of these modules and repair them.
Hi..can you locate a power supply for a Brent Averill Calrec 1061?

Thank you in advance
📝 Reply