The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio stuff to buy, neve, amek, ssl, lavry? for electro Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 22nd September 2006

Studio stuff to buy, neve, amek, ssl, lavry? for electro

Tracking through my ksp8 was not the best. and in fact i noticed a sound loss from when i used it via spdif, which was good, then to adat optical, which didnt sound as good.

The problem i am having, is i want to buy a lavry blue. And i want my eventide and kurzweil plugged in via spdif as well. Are there any cards that have like 4 or 6 spdif ins and outs? That would be great. but i can't seem to find anything like this....

Now, my other situation. I'm not so happy with the TG2 and my ksp8 adc for dance production, i a/b's an rme adi8 against the ksp8. The ksp had better high end hi mids, more open, and in that reguard it was better than the rme, but in the bass dept the rme was much fuller and round... I don't like either of these DAC or ADC.

So. I was thinking about buying the ssl channel strips with eq and compression, but dont know how they are. i want an 1176, la2a, and a distressor. Was wondering if getting a ssl channel would kill those birds with one stone, it has compression. I recently played with the api compressor in the 5 series lunchbox, NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL. My freind has an amek dmcl, he still bought a distressor. so i'm thinkin, i'm may be better off with a never pre.

I want eq and compression. I'm doing dance music. So i want to know the best rout. I care a lot about bass and drum production. Not rock music. Would i be better off buy one of those neve pres with the adc built in? I will be working in renoise and samplitude...

I was at an idm show, and the bass was killer, it had this hyper controled sound that was on fire, it was so powerfull and controlled and punchy and impactful. I can never get this kind of sound. I'm betting its double compression on the bass end of the mix. One compresser to let the transient through and bring up the body, the other to controll the whole thing after... i dunno. But i bet part of this fire in the sound comes from the input transformers on the old 1176, makes it burn with this tone. its hard to explain. i could have it all wrong... But that is what i am going after this time around. i bet part of it is in compressing the bass kick and bass line together too. i dunno. need to play around with some real hardware. plugs just dont cut it.

I know i cannot do it all analog, so i need kick ass ADC and DAC to process in the analog domain when i need to without loosing to much.

I welcome opinions. I'm really interested in neve, amek, and ssl pre, eq, compressor, adc. lavry and mytek vs neve and ssl adc. anyone who has experience with these and electronic music. i'd love to hear your take...

I know a lot of this has been asked before. but i'm asking those who do electronic music more so than rock this time around.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search