The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve Portico 5042 vs 542x2 Analog Processors (HW)
Old 8th September 2013
SEED78
Neve Portico 5042 vs 542x2

Neve Portico 5042 vs having 2 x 500 series 542?

Sounds like a daft question - but in terms of specifics was wondering:

> its it easy to get 2 x 542's working as a stereo pair, a good natural L+R balance? is it easier with the rack version because everything goes through 1 set of electronics?

> are the extra controls on the 500 series version worth the hassle

> does the original 5042 rack sound any different (ask because the second hand price is slightly lower on the one with the darker face plate).

I'd like a 5042 or 542 on the master bus at some point - and thought 500 series version might the more flexible.

any advice much appreciated!
Old 9th September 2013
Sent you a PM! Should answer your questions [which aren't daft BTW].

Best-

Jonathan Pines
Old 9th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Best-

Jonathan Pines
Why the PM, Jonathan? I'd have thought a reasonable body of folks browsing the thread would be interested to read your answer.
Old 9th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
Why the PM, Jonathan? I'd have thought a reasonable body of folks browsing the thread would be interested to read your answer.
Well I try hard to not just be a gear pimp on these forums, and to adhere to the [not unreasonable] forum rules, and just thought a PM was more appropriate than a thread. I do that most of the time if I can, as it allows me to talk at greater length about specific's without violating the rules.
My reply could be interpreted as a sales pitch, even though I try to just be informative in general. I can post some what I said if you want?

I think you guys get tired of me posting frequently anyway- ha!

Best-
Jonathan
Old 9th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I try hard to not just be a gear pimp on these forums, and to adhere to the [not unreasonable] forum rules, and just thought a PM was more appropriate than a thread. I do that most of the time if I can, as it allows me to talk at greater length about specific's without violating the rules.
My reply could be interpreted as a sales pitch, even though I try to just be informative in general. I can post some what I said if you want?

I think you guys get tired of me posting frequently anyway- ha!

Best-
Jonathan
I appreciate your sensitivity - though I don't think posts that offer reasonably objective and verifiable facts/information (as opposed to opinions, superlatives, spruikspeil) are a problem, and I for one appreciate them.

If you'd care to post some of what was in your response, that would be great. I use a 5042 here, and have no particular motive to migrate to 542s (so I haven't troubled to ask the question myself), but it's always interesting to know what the pros and cons might be and to better understand what's "out there".
Old 9th September 2013
SEED78
thanks for advice jonathan.

short version for Dark Sky, is they are both good - and there isn't really any restriction in owning either.

Everyone's a winner
Old 9th September 2013
Never tried either, but from what I have read here the 542 can get more aggressive, and the general consensus is that people like the newer one (542) better.

I am going to buy 2 542`s in the future when the wallet allows. Still wondering how it stacks up to real tape, the anamod and the the slate/waves offering....
Old 25th September 2014
Gear Head

Quote:

Best-

Jonathan Pines
Hello Johnathan,

Apologies for bringing up an old question but I had the exact same one in mind and it looks like you posted the answer via PM so I couldn't access it! Im considering a pair of 542's to keep strapped on my mix buss but Im concerned about the ease of keeping them in stereo... Would you be able to send me the same message as you did the original poster? Also, is there a notch at 0dB for the input trim? Im not sure id be able to go for it if I have to recalibrate it before every mix haha

Thanks Johnathan!

Imad
Old 25th September 2014
If I were buying today I would buy two 542's,
zero question in my mind,

I have used both,
prefer to keep this type of processor in a single channel form,
no problem with them on a stereo source, they sound great to me.

good luck

mazeltov

peace
Old 25th September 2014
I still haven't managed to hear these things but damn I want to!
Old 25th September 2014
Lives for gear

They are cool sounding...I ran my acoustic guitar with the Baggs Lyric pickup into the 542 and on playback it just sounds more real, for lack of a better word. Makes stringed instruments sound more like they should. I can't imagine tracking without it anymore. Most of the time I'm setting things around 40-50%, as that is all that's needed most of the time.
Old 25th September 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImadMusic View Post
....Also, is there a notch at 0dB for the input trim? Im not sure id be able to go for it if I have to recalibrate it before every mix haha...
Imad
I'm not Jonathan,but I've got a pair of 542,trim pot it's center dented,and just to mention I use them on stereo source without problems
Hope it helps
Luca
Old 26th September 2014
Gear Head

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 27th September 2014
I am Jonathan, ha!

Summary of my PM:

> its it easy to get 2 x 542's working as a stereo pair, a good natural L+R balance? is it easier with the rack version because everything goes through 1 set of electronics?
**There are two sets on the 5042, and separate controls, so its easy on both...
> are the extra controls on the 500 series version worth the hassle
**We think so! The blend really helps, but it is the soft input clip and the variable silk red and blue that makes the biggest difference!
> does the original 5042 rack sound any different (ask because the second hand price is slightly lower on the one with the darker face plate).
**No difference, other than age. It will need recapping sooner, switches and pots could be dirty, etc. These are the only downsides, but these are same issues for all used gear.
I'd like a 5042 or 542 on the master bus at some point - and thought 500 series version might the more flexible.
**It is! The 542 also has a larger [transformer/tape head], and noticeably improved LF compensation and performance [larger transformer/tape head and redesigned LF circuitry], a new soft clip circuit on the input, blend control, and all of that is very applicable on a master bus.

And the trim is center dented as lucabasano graciously answered.

Hope this helps? My email is [email protected] if you have more questions?

Lot's of users opinions here as well:

Rupert Neve Tape Simulator

Best-
Jonathan
Old 28th September 2014
SRS
Lives for gear

I have a pair of 542s on the mix bus and they do indeed sounds fantastic. I have NO intention of parting with them anytime in the foreseeable future.
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
I have a pair of 542s on the mix bus and they do indeed sounds fantastic. I have NO intention of parting with them anytime in the foreseeable future.
I've got a 2nd one coming and can't wait to try it on the 2 buss, and also drum buss. These boxes are really cool and add that final something that's missing in digital recordings. When I hear it on recorded tracks in makes me say "there it is!"
Old 28th September 2014
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown soldier View Post
I've got a 2nd one coming and can't wait to try it on the 2 buss, and also drum buss. These boxes are really cool and add that final something that's missing in digital recordings. When I hear it on recorded tracks in makes me say "there it is!"
I agree. There are other elements that bring it all together for sure, but these little 500 series tape emu units are something special indeed. I have several mix bus options, and tend to favor pairs of the following on the mix bus: RND 543 Comps, 551 EQs to the 542s. A sweet sweet chain for sure.
Old 28th September 2014
Lives for gear

My chain will be the serpent audio SB4001, Pair of Kush electra's, then the 542's. This might be overkill on the processing, but should be fun!
Old 28th September 2014
Gear Head

Fantastic... time to go for the 542's then!

Thanks Jonathan and everyone who contributed!

Imad
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Been saving for a long time and im ready to step into the 500 series world.I plan on gettin a 542 as my first module along with an elysia xpressor.Not really impressed with any tape plug-ins lol.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search