The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New API console?
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

New API console?

I hear things........

Apparently a new small API is on the way. Anyone know anything?

Modular? Control surface? what else?
Old 22nd September 2006
w2w
Lives for gear

They are going to reissue the 1604...shhhh
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Can't Wait..
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

if i only had $50K
Old 22nd September 2006
OK, I'm gonna take a shoot at this one. Let's say API is making a 1604 type of frame.
16ch input bays, 16 meters, routing and patchbay, etc. How much would an empty frame with power supply and patchbay be? $10,000 ? Plus you'll need the following;
Master section: $3,000 ?
Faders: 16+4+1* ; $25,000 ? flying faders or 21* P&G plastic $4,500 ?
Meters: 18* Sifam VU's $3,000 ?
Aux & Routing modules: 16* $8,000 ?
Eq modules: 16* $16,000 ?
Preamps: 16* $11,000 ? (avereage preamp is 'but 700bux)
Dynamics: ?? API 225 with an 500 adapter ?? $9,000 ?

That makes a serious $85,000 bigguns....! or atleast $28,500 for an empty workable frame.

Will anyone buy this?!

(they should make it cream white )
heh
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Hopefully it'd be a bit less to buy as a package than it would be to piece it together yourself.

Looking forward to seeing what it actually is...

-Duardo
Old 22nd September 2006
w2w
Lives for gear

Its projected at 45k to 50k.You can order with or without the EQ modules.
The input modules are not modular.
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Maniac

... just making a suggestion... but have you heard of a company called TONELUX?

- AW
Old 24th September 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Wrench View Post
... just making a suggestion... but have you heard of a company called TONELUX?

- AW
I don't know if I can trust API without Paul Wolff.... I Love API gear & I know that Paul was the heart & soul of API, he brought them back from the edge of extinction. Tonelux looks better to me than API. I have been an API fanatic since I started recording...
Old 24th September 2006
w2w
Lives for gear

I truly believe Paul, with his Tonelux line is the guy to watch.His build as you go concept is brilliant.( a few Other companies have been doing a little of this,but he took it to the next level )He is the first guy out the gate with it to have so many different ways to use it & continues to keep delivering.It will be interesting to see what happens over the next 2 years with the competition.The Portico console is rumored to be modular & who knows what else will pop up.
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

A 16 channel console is pretty much pointless in this day and age.
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Really ? I actually see it as a brilliant move. With everyone and their mother buying 8 - 16 channel summing boxes, outboard center sections, and racks full of mic pre's a sidecar looks like the perfect solution for the mid-level studio. There's so many coming out (Chandler, API, Tonelux, Wunder) it's impossible to maks a decision.
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear
I see it as a good move too.

I love the Tonelux idea as well...I don't like the 'console in a rack' thing though. The only way I'd be happy with a TL rig is if it were a REAL CONSOLE.

I know you can do this, but most don't.
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
wha??? i'd love a good small console.
Old 24th September 2006
Quote:
Why pointless?

16 channels, pre post fader monitoring, direct outs, good precise channel eq, many flexible routing options (matrix), good tone and flexibillity, maybe a couple of dynamic units, 8 busses, 4 or more main outs, flexible master section, talkback, master eq with different character, maybe some switchable different outputs a la shadow hills, small footprint, modular design, so customer configurable, automation, or stepped switches, 3rd party modules, because of standard format.

yum. sounds perfect to me. that 1604 makes me drool all over.

routing options would take care of sessions with many different channels. I can't have a 96 channel beast here, even if I would want to.

Then again, if nice enough quality, I'd settle for a non modular solution too. But I prefer modular.
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
A 16 channel console is pretty much pointless in this day and age
I think it's perfect for this day and age.

Small footprint, less than $250K ( heh ) 16 ins, enough to record bed tracks of a rock band live off the floor, & CR section. Then you can stem from your DAW 16 busses and use the analog EQ, pre fader inserts, external summing, zero latency etc.

Sounds especially relevant today.
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
I think it's perfect for this day and age.

Small footprint, less than $250K ( heh ) 16 ins, enough to record bed tracks of a rock band live off the floor, & CR section. Then you can stem from your DAW 16 busses and use the analog EQ, pre fader inserts, external summing, zero latency etc.

Sounds especially relevant today.
Or you could take that money and buy a large to medium format used console that has enough channels to be useful. I think its pretty pointless, from a mixing standpoint, to have 8 stereo busses with some analog eq. I'd rather just mix in protools. I mean, honestly, if you track something well, you can get a pretty solid sounding mix in PT even without somekind of "summing solution."

The reason I still use a console is more for workflow. I like being able to see all the options at once. A 16 channel console for $50k is kind of silly, in my opinion. Its like buying half a Porsche to say that you have the "Porsche Vibe" in your garage.
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
A 16 channel console for $50k is kind of silly, in my opinion. Its like buying half a Porsche to say that you have the "Porsche Vibe" in your garage.
You still need the outboard to get in. 16 pre/eq of the same quality is 30 grand. Racks, montor section, controllers, external summing (if that's your thing) all add up to the point where your spending the same coin anyhow.

It really comes down the the sound your after. I mean it may be silly for some people to buy a SSL for 150k when you can buy a Neotek for 5k, it just depends on the individual situation.
Old 25th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post

yum. sounds perfect to me. that 1604 makes me drool all over.
For what you get for $50k that's more of a little drivel than alot of drool.
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
I mean it may be silly for some people to buy a SSL for 150k when you can buy a Neotek for 5k, it just depends on the individual situation.
$5K? new? i'm in the small console dilemma.. looking at everything out there. i dont need pre's and really only need basic eq. just enough to shape things on the way into the computer. having flexible routing abilities and balanced direct outs and 4-6 sends maybe 4-8 busses would be great. a good monitor section etc.

if the shadow hills equinox had 8-12 direct outs, a highpass filter and inserts i'd just buy that and find some kind of matrix mixer to use as sends.
Old 25th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post

if the shadow hills equinox had 8-12 direct outs, a highpass filter and inserts i'd just buy that and find some kind of matrix mixer to use as sends.
But then it wouldn't be $4K-$5K would it?
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
But then it wouldn't be $4K-$5K would it?
no.. but it'd be less than $50K
Old 25th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
no.. but it'd be less than $50K
For a summing mixer with 2 mic pres built in and a monitoring section plus all of your wants it better be.
Old 25th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
For what you get for $50k that's more of a little drivel than alot of drool.
Blimey. that stopped my salivating a bit. *glub*
Old 25th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or you could take that money and buy a large to medium format used console that has enough channels to be useful. I think its pretty pointless, from a mixing standpoint, to have 8 stereo busses with some analog eq. I'd rather just mix in protools. I mean, honestly, if you track something well, you can get a pretty solid sounding mix in PT even without somekind of "summing solution."

The reason I still use a console is more for workflow. I like being able to see all the options at once. A 16 channel console for $50k is kind of silly, in my opinion. Its like buying half a Porsche to say that you have the "Porsche Vibe" in your garage.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't agree more except instead of a used console I'd rather build a new Tonelux system and customize it to my way of working.

Old 25th September 2006
go custom
i've spent the last three years with my genious tech Igor designing the ultimate full format cmixing desk for my studio, and for its size (16 mono channels + 8 stereo) there is nothing like it , no API can touch it for mixing .
pictures soon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search