The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SSL Sigma
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

SSL Sigma

I am a prospective buyer of this and this is very new product which I don't fully understand yet so I guess having a dedicated thread to it is a good idea. I'm sure over the next coming months a few users or owners can come forward to share their thoughts/experiences.
Old 6th September 2013
Jai guru deva om

We had a full demo of it last week from SSL, what do you want to know? The main buyer is going to desire analog summing, as well as monitoring (cue monitoring, as well as the ability to switch between two pairs of speakers, talkback etc).

War
Old 6th September 2013
I'd love to hear about how well it actually works--specifically in regards to mix recall settings. Is the daw just attenuating before it hits the sigma or is it recalling the hardware's channel output settings?
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Maniac
How does the Sigma compare soundwise to its big brothers?
Old 6th September 2013
Interesting product.
Old 6th September 2013
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
I'd love to hear about how well it actually works--specifically in regards to mix recall settings. Is the daw just attenuating before it hits the sigma or is it recalling the hardware's channel output settings?
The beauty of the Sigma is that it is a 100% analog signal path but it is 100% digitally controlled by what would be considered "digital VCA's". You could send it unity line level from your DAW and automate with Sigma's control, or you could automate the volume before your DA converter's output from the DAW if you prefer.

You could also map MIDI faders inside your DAW to control and automate as well, within Sigma.

Our rep was using an iPhone to do a lot of this stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracki View Post
How does the Sigma compare soundwise to its big brothers?
Don't know, I bet Jim from SSL could comment since they can refer to any console they've ever built.

War
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

despite a bunch of info on the ssl site i'm still confused is it a 16x2 mixer or 32x2 mixer?

in other words are there 32 mono channels available? can i send kick ch1 snare ch2 etc.?

now the functionality aside i'm really mostly curious in the sound.

ps- i currently use a dangerous 2bus lt.
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

Just done a search on this. Looks good. Is this SSL answer to a summing box or have I got it wrong?
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
despite a bunch of info on the ssl site i'm still confused is it a 16x2 mixer or 32x2 mixer?

in other words are there 32 mono channels available? can i send kick ch1 snare ch2 etc.?
From what I gather, no, not 32 mono channels. The channels are switchable between mono and stereo, but a stereo channel won't function as two mono channels.

I downloaded the manual off SSL's site, and the pan control within the Sigma is only available when a channel is set to mono, so it won't function as 32 mono channels (unless, of course, you want those channels hard-panned L/R...)

You could set it as kick and snare mono 1 & 2, OHs stereo 3, bass mono 4, guitars stereo 5, etc. but you can't get 32 mono channels with pan control on each.
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
The beauty of the Sigma is that it is a 100% analog signal path but it is 100% digitally controlled by what would be considered "digital VCA's". You could send it unity line level from your DAW and automate with Sigma's control, or you could automate the volume before your DA converter's output from the DAW if you prefer.

You could also map MIDI faders inside your DAW to control and automate as well, within Sigma.

Our rep was using an iPhone to do a lot of this stuff...
So in theory you can use this with a console as a high end VCA automation set up?
Old 7th September 2013
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
So in theory you can use this with a console as a high end VCA automation set up?
It is an analog mixer, yes.

You could create separate MIDI faders in your DAW and automate those if desired.

War
Old 7th September 2013
Quote:
Yes!

I'm making exactly those tests with my SSL4000 right now.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Yes!

I'm making exactly those tests with my SSL4000 right now.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
So does that mean you can VCA automate 32 channels then? Since you don't need to pan, etc.?
Old 7th September 2013
Quote:
So does that mean you can VCA automate 32 channels then? Since you don't need to pan, etc.?
That's it.
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's it.
Well that's interesting.

With the Greiner sum.mation I think you have to use two 16 ch units to automate 32 channels, which would make the cost about the same as 1 SSL Sigma.

So for those intending on using these units as console VCA automation only, I guess it's gonna come down to which one has better VCA's/analog circuits.
Old 7th September 2013
How does the summing affect the sound....similar to the X Desk or Matrix where it makes the signal punchy and perhaps a bit more depth?
Old 8th September 2013
Here for the gear

I'm waiting to hear some actual sound samples of the Sigma.

There's been so much talk about it, the only thing we're all waiting for is how it performs... and compares to other summing boxes.
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

sound is everything here
Old 14th September 2013
Gear Head

Any consensus yet on the sound?
Old 14th September 2013
Jai guru deva om

We have a request in to our SSL rep here to get a demo unit in our hands to add to our summing mixer 16x2 Clipalator comparisons. When I have that done (likely weeks from now if we're lucky) I will update this thread.

In the meantime please don't PM me with "how does it sound?" messages as I have no point of reference to really share based on the quick demo we did. I know as much as anybody could know having a quick demo is all, at the time of this writing.

Once we print the summed mix, using identical cables and converter channels to do so, we will have 100% context with all the others we've tested instantly.

War
Old 15th September 2013
Gear Addict

I've mixed one song through it so far, it sounds great so far in the one hour I've had to use it. I preferred it to ProTools ITB mix without a doubt. Will report more once I've had more time.
Old 15th September 2013
Lives for gear

i'm more interested in how it sounds compared to actual modern ssl consoles...

not turn into an analog summing vs itb summing debate. there are a zillion of those. this is solely about the sigma and if there is relation it's to other summing boxes and consoles.
Old 15th September 2013
Lives for gear

for those beta testing, does each channel have midi settings, or is it master only right now?
Old 15th September 2013
The sigma looks like the perfect match for expanding the channels on my AWS console. The thing is I'm not sure they can work together on the same computer since they both using IPmidi..
Old 15th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
The sigma looks like the perfect match for expanding the channels on my AWS console. The thing is I'm not sure they can work together on the same computer since they both using IPmidi..
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sigma manual
Connection in a facility that has multiple SSL Consoles/multiple ipmIDI devices
If you are in a studio that has multiple SSL consoles/ipMIDI devices, we recommend that you purchase one of our ‘LAN
integration network switches’ from the SSL web store. Due to the nature of UDP, if you have two SSL consoles/ipMIDI
devices on the same network with a normal router/switch setup, then you may find that an ipMIDI device in one room will
start affecting another ipMIDI devices in another room. Our managed switch blocks UDP data on two of the ports, solving
the problem and allowing uplinking in a multi-room facility. Please visit the following link for more details and a picture
example:
store.solidstatelogic.com/catalog/36
Old 15th September 2013
lwr
Gear Addict

it sounds great!!
Old 15th September 2013
mpr
Lives for gear

Great way to add automation to an existing console without spending a fortune.

Have these started shipping yet? I am waiting...
Old 15th September 2013
I'm running all my tests with the Sigma using it as an automated system for my SSL4000. So far... IMPRESSIVE!
Old 16th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm running all my beta tests with the Sigma using it as an automated system for my SSL4000. So far... IMPRESSIVE!
You're automating 32 channels, correct?
Old 17th September 2013
Well, after 3 weeks of testings, I can confirm that the Sigma sounds great, transparent and detailed. The configuration was very easy.
I'm using it as a 'high end automation system' for my SSL4000.
The implementation with my DAW is a dream, every owner of an analogue console should consider this system, really. I already ordered 2 units , I want full automation all over my 4000. Sigma converted my old SSL4000 in to a Duality je je je.

BTW, the manual doesn't support "Digital Performer", there's no configuration for it, only Protools, Logic, Cubase and Live and I was a bit down about this, in the manual it says that if you have "Other" DAW you should use the "Midi configuration" which works good but I was not 100% happy.

So I decided to follow step by step the instructions of the Logic configuration and it happens to work GREAT with Digital Performer!!
I'm so happy.

Great and Smart Product, well designed.

I was using Sum.mation, and don't get me wrong, sum.mation its a great product too (and a cheaper option btw).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search