The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Sigma
Old 4th August 2020
Solid State Logic

If yu have a DHCP router you really should be running the Sigma DHCP.
Unless you know the range of IP addresses your server will give out, in which case you *could* do it that way.

My best guess is tht the Browser is stuck thinking it should be DHCP but falling over to a link local 192.168.xxx.xxx address to try and connect. From the factory they ship with fixed IP address and if you plug in to a DHCP router/switch without first connecting fixed and then switching to DHCP I've heard of similar stories.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If yu have a DHCP router you really should be running the Sigma DHCP.
Unless you know the range of IP addresses your server will give out, in which case you *could* do it that way.
Like I mentioned earlier: I have setup the dhcp server to use a specific address pool and made sure to use for sigma a fixed address from outside that pool.

Quote:
My best guess is tht the Browser is stuck thinking it should be DHCP but falling over to a link local 192.168.xxx.xxx address to try and connect. From the factory they ship with fixed IP address and if you plug in to a DHCP router/switch without first connecting fixed and then switching to DHCP I've heard of similar stories.
I can't really see how this can be the case. A browser doesn't do anything magic with networks. If the sigma IP is reachable from the web GUI then it is equally reachable from any other application. What is that Sigma Remote does differently?

I really appreciate you stepping in and try to help, but I really need some troubleshooting steps.
Old 4th August 2020
Solid State Logic

I *think* it is a question of retained settings in the Remote App.
Not 100% sure of the technical reasons behind it, but in cases similar to yours they have often been Browser happy with fixed address but remote software expecting DHCP. Or vice-versa. Once you establish connection with the form that the remote browser is set to then it can be changed to whatever.

Remote App does not equal Browser login.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Not 100% sure of the technical reasons behind it, but in cases similar to yours they have often been Browser happy with fixed address but remote software expecting DHCP. Or vice-versa. Once you establish connection with the form that the remote browser is set to then it can be changed to whatever.
Remote App does not equal Browser login.
1 connected directly DAW to Sigma
2 set sigma to DHCP
3 rebooted sigma and run the cables to the router for both DAW and sigma
4 pressed the 2 user buttons to readout the IP, got 192.168.1.103
5 dhcp server also shows a matching log entry for the IP assignment
6 sigma web ui working, at http://192.168.1.103/sigmaweb
7 Sigma Remote => DEAD

What next? can you provide troubleshooting steps to actually find the issue?
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Nut
I ran a sniffer in my DAW and it looks like when you launch Sigma Remote it sends out UDP multicast datagrams to 225.0.0.37 and 225.0.0.38 on port 29939.
This seems consistent with information in https://solidstatelogic.zendesk.com/...uter-networks-

It is now clear that my router is not handling UDP multicast traffic.
I asked many times what kind of network traffic the application needs and I got no answer: honestly it wasn't very hard to point out your own knowledge base.
Allow me to say that I expected more assistance from the support team.

Thanks again Jim for actively checking the forums here and trying to help us out.
Old 6th August 2020
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmilani View Post
Customer support answered that the Orbi is the issue, even though I don't really understand how this was determined since I only provided a screenshot of the 'settings' tab in the web UI. I requested to provide actual networking requirements eg. any protocols or details about traffic that sigma needs to exchange, but they didn't answer my request. They just told me to buy an unmanaged switch to connect DAW and Sigma.
While I will agree that having the full technical reason behind an answer is reassuring to have, you did end up at the point that the support team started you with.

As it happens we've brought down our own website and mailserver by flooding our own network with UDP packets when testing in the past. All it takes is someone to plug a switch into a port and something with DAW control into the switch.........

Glad you're up and running.
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Nut
I don’t share the same opinion. Knowing the tech reason is necessary not just reassuring. I don’t really want somebody else to do choices for me, I want to run my network the way I want so the UDP traffic requirement is a vital information, as highlighted in the knowledge base.
I am making a general point of how every tech issue should be troubleshooted, since it is becoming just a common pattern worldwide to only give a scripted instruction list rather than actually understanding problems. This is where depending on computers and technology is going wrong.
Sorry for my rant. New switch arrives today, hopefully all will be well!
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I don’t share the same opinion. Knowing the tech reason is necessary not just reassuring. I don’t really want somebody else to do choices for me, I want to run my network the way I want so the UDP traffic requirement is a vital information, as highlighted in the knowledge base.
I am making a general point of how every tech issue should be troubleshooted, since it is becoming just a common pattern worldwide to only give a scripted instruction list rather than actually understanding problems. This is where depending on computers and technology is going wrong.
Sorry for my rant. New switch arrives today, hopefully all will be well!
What you are asking for is pretty reasonable and would be quite beneficial. However, what are you willing to pay for tech support of that caliber? Not many companies have paid tech support, but they do exist (e.g. Avid). Deep understanding of technical details of complex products is extremely valuable. Further, it is time consuming to diagnose problems given the diverse environments those products get deployed in. If companies are going to offer that level of personalized after-sales support, it's going to come at a price.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Old 8th August 2020
Gear Head

Sorry to post this here as it's a Nucleus 2 related question but I know a few on here are using the Sigma and Nucleus 2 like I am and it's a big thread.

I haven't tried using the footswitch capability of the Nucleus 2 until now. I'm trying to record guitar for a project and it will be easier to record and stop using a footswitch.

I am using a Boss FS-7.

Is anyone here using the Nucleus 2 with Logic Pro X and has a footswitch working correctly? Whenever I try to use the footswitch, it just locks up Logic. It's getting the 'record' command and starts but seems to be flooded with lots of stop and start messages and won't stop until I unplug the footswitch.

I have tried the TRS Splitter mentioned in the manual and I've also tried a stereo TRS cable to control both switches of the Boss pedal. Both have the same behaviour.

MIDI monitor is showing normal on or off through MIDI IP 1, no continuous messages like I thought.

I have contacted SSL support but just wondered if anyone else here uses the footswitch with Logic and knows a quick solution. I suspect its a setting in Logic somewhere but I can't figure it out!
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi View Post
you gonna fry your gear in no time... space them
Old 9th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
SG this is a great point; should we be giving 1U or so room between gear? Is overheating something that's been covered in the Sigma form before? I've also got 4U of space and it's packed now with Sigma on top...
Old 9th August 2020
Here for the gear

Hey Guys, had a quick question:

I picked up an Alpha-Link MADI AX, and I'm trying to figure out how to get some analog channels to Sigma.
Gulp, my audio-interface is a dated Apogee Ensemble with 8 Analog Channels and 8 ADAT. I've been using a Rosetta 800 for the 8 ADAT and that combo has been feeding me 8 Stereo pairs for the Sigma which i've had about a month now and you good folks helped me configure. Sigma is showing me that it recognizes Alpha in the right spots, because when I turn it on/off I see the 4 stereo pairs jump on the Sigma meter for channels 5,6,7,8. But alas, no sound via Logic and my outputs there seem to be correct.

Any thoughts on what I might be missing here?

Anyways, I'm also wondering if there is anyone else using Alpha-Link MADI AX without the MADI. Or, has anyone used it before without the MADI and experienced this? I apologize for amateur hour, but you guys are the best kept secret for Sigma fans.

I am thinking of picking up a MADIXtreme 64, but would need to find a thunderbolt chassis and from what I've read it's a bit of a hit and miss situation on MacOS'. Any war stories on that one as well? Should I just get rid of the Ensemble, go with the MadiXtreme 64? Ensemble offers me mic-pre's as well, so maybe I just put it in standalone and tie it to the Alpha-link?

Last edited by New Kid; 10th August 2020 at 09:47 PM..
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Kid View Post
SG this is a great point; should we be giving 1U or so room between gear? Is overheating something that's been covered in the Sigma form before? I've also got 4U of space and it's packed now with Sigma on top...
1U is good practice... But it also depends on the gear... Some get hotter than others... I know for a fact that the Fusion is cooking that SPL in the video.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for your concerns. The Fusion en Apollo 16 get warm. The Fusion even gets hot. The Argosy is a open rack. This makes a big difference. The Sigma is like a heat sink between the Apollo and Fusion. The Sigma does not get warm at all. The SPL does not get warm either. Even with those tubes.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for your concerns. The Fusion en Apollo 16 get warm. The Fusion even gets hot. The Argosy is a open rack. This makes a big difference. The Sigma is like a heat sink between the Apollo and Fusion. The Sigma does not get warm at all. The SPL does not get warm either. Even with those tubes.

I might space them out over the 2 racks and or sell the SPL and Hedd.
They do bring extra spices to the table. However I could live without them and just stick with the SSL Rig.
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi View Post
No confirmation about Sigma 2 right?

Quote:
Hey Guys, had a quick question:

I picked up an Alpha-Link MADI AX, and I'm trying to figure out how to get some analog channels to Sigma.
Gulp, my audio-interface is a dated Apogee Ensemble with 8 Analog Channels and 8 ADAT. I've been using a Rosetta 800 for the 8 ADAT and that combo has been feeding me 8 Stereo pairs for the Sigma which i've had about a month now and you good folks helped me configure. Sigma is showing me that it recognizes Alpha in the right spots, because when I turn it on/off I see the 4 stereo pairs jump on the Sigma meter for channels 5,6,7,8. But alas, no sound via Logic and my outputs there seem to be correct.

Any thoughts on what I might be missing here?

Anyways, I'm also wondering if there is anyone else using Alpha-Link MADI AX without the MADI. Or, has anyone used it before without the MADI and experienced this? I apologize for amateur hour, but you guys are the best kept secret for Sigma fans.

I am thinking of picking up a MADIXtreme 64, but would need to find a thunderbolt chassis and from what I've read it's a bit of a hit and miss situation on MacOS'. Any war stories on that one as well? Should I just get rid of the Ensemble, go with the MadiXtreme 64? Ensemble offers me mic-pre's as well, so maybe I just put it in standalone and tie it to the Alpha-link?

Hey Guys, I'm working support on the Alpha-Link question, but I thought I might quote this and throw the MadiXtreme question back out there.

Is anyone still using that? It's unsupported, but was anyone able to continue running it on a MacOS (High Sierra or later) after V1.3?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hey Guys, I'm working support on the Alpha-Link question, but I thought I might quote this and throw the MadiXtreme question back out there.

Is anyone still using that? It's unsupported, but was anyone able to continue running it on a MacOS (High Sierra or later) after V1.3?
I'm running this combo and have 24 io mixes setup for my projects.

It's pretty straightforward to switch the alpha link analogue outputs to be routed from ADAT from the front panel. You can also combine the ADAT and MADI inputs so they can feed additional IO from the MADI stream.

The Madixtreme is long in the tooth these days on mac but depends on the OS you're running . I've managed to get it running on Mojave disabling SIP from booting through recovery mode every now and then I have to re-disable SIP in recovery mode and reinstall the driver but it's not posed a problem for me. I know other people with the same setups have not been as lucky and when troubleshooting it with them we couldn't figure out what was wrong or why things didn't just work.

It's highly unlikely that I'm going to move on from Mojave to Catalina for a long time and starting to look at alternatives for the sound card driver. At this present time I'm leaning towards Dante and ditching the Madixtreme but keeping the alpha links and using it for ADAT expansion on something like a focusrite red8pre and later, just adding to the dante network with a RED6.

These are still great converters,but there are better options out there as well. In a non blind shootout between the Alphalink, AVID HD i/o, Digi 192 and Antelope Orion there really wasn't much between the Alphalink/HD i/o and felt the Orion was slightly better. It's personal opinion so what might be better for me is garbage to someone else.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Con View Post
I'm running this combo and have 24 io mixes setup for my projects.

It's pretty straightforward to switch the alpha link analogue outputs to be routed from ADAT from the front panel. You can also combine the ADAT and MADI inputs so they can feed additional IO from the MADI stream.

The Madixtreme is long in the tooth these days on mac but depends on the OS you're running . I've managed to get it running on Mojave disabling SIP from booting through recovery mode every now and then I have to re-disable SIP in recovery mode and reinstall the driver but it's not posed a problem for me. I know other people with the same setups have not been as lucky and when troubleshooting it with them we couldn't figure out what was wrong or why things didn't just work.

It's highly unlikely that I'm going to move on from Mojave to Catalina for a long time and starting to look at alternatives for the sound card driver. At this present time I'm leaning towards Dante and ditching the Madixtreme but keeping the alpha links and using it for ADAT expansion on something like a focusrite red8pre and later, just adding to the dante network with a RED6.

These are still great converters,but there are better options out there as well. In a non blind shootout between the Alphalink, AVID HD i/o, Digi 192 and Antelope Orion there really wasn't much between the Alphalink/HD i/o and felt the Orion was slightly better. It's personal opinion so what might be better for me is garbage to someone else.

Thanks Jon, this is helpful feedback.

I've read about the SIP workaround and happy to say it worked on my side as well. I have the MADIXtreme 128 running into the Alpha-Link Madi AX, and I'm sending 12 Stereo pairs from my 24 channels of Alpha into Sigma now.

Question, and maybe for the group: How would you guys fill the remaining 4 stereo pairs in this situation? I'm trying to stay within 48 khz and may move up to 88.2 at some point.

For now though, my MADIXtreme 128 has 1 of it's 2 64 channel ports open. I could feed into maybe an Alpha-Link MX 4-16, but I'm not sure if thats the best path here? One concern is the calibration. Alpha-Link AX is +22dB, while MX is +24db.

I have ADAT's open on the Alpha as well.

Anything out there that I can connect to the Alpha or Madi and feed into the final analog in of the Sigma (port 20-24)?

Also, Jon, I was using an Apogee setup for 8 total channels prior. It was really nice, and I felt the sound had a little more space/depth to it. There we had +24db calibrated to Sigma, running at 44 khz.

The Alpha-Link I'm finding is more controlled, tighter, and bringing the bottom out a little better. I've calibrated to +22db with Sigma and it's offering a more "controlled" space, a presence vs a "vastness" if you will. I missed the vastness a little at first to be honest, but I understand the controlled aspect of it a little better now. It sounds much, much more SSL at this point - authentically.

The Apogee setup (Ensemble and Rosetta) was a little harsher as well when pushed at 44khz, and lighter on the bottom end.

Thanks guys, wanted to share that.
I posted the extra channel Q in an Alpha-Link sub as well btw, letting you know because I'm trying not be tacky here.

Salute folks, great community.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
1 connected directly DAW to Sigma
2 set sigma to DHCP
3 rebooted sigma and run the cables to the router for both DAW and sigma
4 pressed the 2 user buttons to readout the IP, got 192.168.1.103
5 dhcp server also shows a matching log entry for the IP assignment
6 sigma web ui working, at http://192.168.1.103/sigmaweb
7 Sigma Remote => DEAD

What next? can you provide troubleshooting steps to actually find the issue?
I'm running into the same issue? Ever get this sorted?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon1st View Post
I'm running into the same issue? Ever get this sorted?
Some relevant info is in the next post right below the one you quoted:
SSL Sigma

Likely you'll need either an unmanaged switch, or one sufficiently advanced to handle correctly multicast traffic.
To give a couple of pointers, I have a tp-link TL-SG105E, 5x1G ports, it is managed but it'll work after disabling IGMP snooping. Also running successfully a Netgear GS110EMX, after disabling IGMP snooping as well. Netgear MS510TX works out of the box (this one has a fan though so I wouldn't keep it in the studio)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Some relevant info is in the next post right below the one you quoted:
SSL Sigma

Likely you'll need either an unmanaged switch, or one sufficiently advanced to handle correctly multicast traffic.
To give a couple of pointers, I have a tp-link TL-SG105E, 5x1G ports, it is managed but it'll work after disabling IGMP snooping. Also running successfully a Netgear GS110EMX, after disabling IGMP snooping as well. Netgear MS510TX works out of the box (this one has a fan though so I wouldn't keep it in the studio)
I'll look into it, thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
For anyone (like me) who sometimes have a periodic problem of losing contact between the Sigma Delta and Artist /Eucon mixer.

I use a switch for all the connections - I found that changing the setting to ‘fixed’ on the Delta page and then back again to ‘DCHP’ fixes the issue. Not sure why but it can get stuck..

Hope this helps someone..

P.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Feeding 500 Series (Bus/Mic Pre) into Sigma?

Hey Guys,

Quick question that may help other novices like I (trying to be poetic).

What is the best way to feed a 500 Series lunchbox into Sigma?

The box has an SSL G-Comp Bus, a pre-amp, some EQ down the road. Mainly looking to use it for the Mic-Pre and the G-bus.

I'm currently tying Sigma's Mix A to the INPUT of the box, and I'm going OUT to Alpha-MX's 4 inputs on my 4-16. The OUT of the 4-16 are feeding back into Sigma.

Am i am idiot?

Any best practices out there?

Side note, anyone out there have any opinions on boutique 500 series Mic-Pre's?
I'm leaning VHD because, well, obviously...but any feedback on the Neve 511/517, API, Chandler, etc., etc.?

Cheers all
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I have a similar system;including an SSL lunchbox of EQs, Dyn and G comp all up on a patchbay - Then I've been experimenting.
Most standard approach is to put EQs on the DAW outs before the Sigma fader i.e. as inserts. So I can use it like a mixing desk
Sometimes I put an EQ and a Gcomp on Mix Bus A insert, or have it on Mix B be so I can hit it harder and engage the mix B to A injection..
P.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillus View Post
I have a similar system;including an SSL lunchbox of EQs, Dyn and G comp all up on a patchbay - Then I've been experimenting.
Most standard approach is to put EQs on the DAW outs before the Sigma fader i.e. as inserts. So I can use it like a mixing desk
Sometimes I put an EQ and a Gcomp on Mix Bus A insert, or have it on Mix B be so I can hit it harder and engage the mix B to A injection..
P.
Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Quick question that may help other novices like I (trying to be poetic).

What is the best way to feed a 500 Series lunchbox into Sigma?

The box has an SSL G-Comp Bus, a pre-amp, some EQ down the road. Mainly looking to use it for the Mic-Pre and the G-bus.

I'm currently tying Sigma's Mix A to the INPUT of the box, and I'm going OUT to Alpha-MX's 4 inputs on my 4-16. The OUT of the 4-16 are feeding back into Sigma.

Am i am idiot?

Any best practices out there?

Side note, anyone out there have any opinions on boutique 500 series Mic-Pre's?
I'm leaning VHD because, well, obviously...but any feedback on the Neve 511/517, API, Chandler, etc., etc.?

Cheers all

Hey Guys, I got some great feedback from the SSL Support group (Tim's incredible. Jim too, but Tim in support is awesome!)

In case anyone is new or interested in NY Style Parallel Compression (and doesn't know already!), here's the feedback:

I think the best setup for this is to leave the compressor fully on the insert.

To set that up you will want to go out of D-Sub connection labelled 'Mix B, Sends, H/P' circuits 3 & 4 to feed L and R of the input of the compressor respectively. Then outputs L and R from the compressor go into circuits 3 & 4 respectively on the 'EXT, RTNS, T/B' D-sub connection.

This way you will hear the feed from the compressor when you hit the Mix A insert button. And if you want to do parallel compression (NY Style) with the compressor - you can hit the Sum A button which sums the clean and the compressed signals together.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

S3 + sigma compatibility

Anyone here use an S3 (or any other EUCON surface) with the sigma? Ive seen some positive reviews and some horror stories.

Any bugs problems or sexy af?

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I use an Artist, once you get it locked in properly it's very handy.

Having said, I do find the actual use of the flip to get into the plugins (especially the SSL Delta ones) a pain to remember on top of everything else so I generally use the Sigma Delta app and flip app focus instead.

P
📝 Reply