The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Sigma
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ Jim : Is a new Sigma / SSL Summing box in the making?
Please give us a hint..Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

another Sigma convert: Greg Wells

https://www.musicconnection.com/greg...aking-machine/
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifried View Post
Nice! The man knows his shizza!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yep!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

mix done on Sigma and Fusion
old fart noodle house
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sigma + Fusion Mix
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here is another SIGMA mix with some bettermaker and Wes Audio stuff on the master bus. Distressors on Drums etc. The SIGMA really allows the gtrs to come up on the sides without pushing down the drums.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Guys are these normalized mixes or fully mastered files?

To my ears Sigma adds a lil punch and sheen to the signal from which Electric guitars benefit a lot but since I have Fusion now I can now push it properly.
Before Fusion I could clip only MIX B and had to back off on MIX A before hitting the converter. Now I can push MIX A too and then attenuate at the input stage in Fusion. Also, having the GBus in the pre eq Fusion loop allows me to push the GBus even further since bass management can be achieved post compression. This without mentioning the vintage drive which adds a lot of loudness and rounds the Sigma very nicely.
Next step would be adding a compressor on MIX B insert for parallel compression.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For me it’s the AD capture (Burl ADC) on the main out of the Sigma, limited to -0.3dBFS in Wavelab, no further treatment as such, it’s what comes out of the mixbus.

Last edited by Analogue Mastering; 4 weeks ago at 09:08 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
Guys are these normalized mixes or fully mastered files?
My test file is not normalised or mastered.
Normally I would finalize it using a UAD Sonos limiter V2 on my Apollo console.
Simga->Fusion->SPL on M/S->Hedd192 with processing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Cool to hear your Sigma stuff! Thanks for sharing.

The mixes share a sense of tightness that I like a lot.

I'll post my current Sigma (+outboard) mixes when they're out in a few weeks.

Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Lupez. mine was fully mastered as it is a final release for the band I am working with. For the master all I did was add 1db of 10K via Bettermaker pultec, -.8 db of 3K via SSL x-eq, Voxengo clipper to bring it up to 8 LUFS and Voxengo Elephant limiter.
Old 4 weeks ago
JGM
Lives for gear

SSL Sigma II

@ Jim
Since there seems to be some speculations that a Sigma II is a possibility, let me list what I would like to see.
1. First and foremost get rid of the Monitor Controller Section and make it a PURE Summing Mixer, with 2 sets of main outs.
2. 32 mono channels with stereo linking (no loss of a channel when stereo linking)
3. 4 submix busses to choose from per channel. All feeding a main Mix Bus. And Inserts for all 5 busses.
4. A full bypassable SSL buss compressor in the master section (this is icing, not a deal breaker).
5. Ability to daisy chain multiple units with full Delta software functionality, and keeping all the submix busses in tack (2 units= 8 submix busses).
6. Keep the price point around the current price, and continue to sell the Sigma Original for those who want/need monitor controller.
7. Keeping the 2 U format, same or similar LED meters

That’s all I can think of right now. But here’s to hoping for a Sigma II.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
@ Jim
Since there seems to be some speculations that a Sigma II is a possibility, let me list what I would like to see.
1. First and foremost get rid of the Monitor Controller Section and make it a PURE Summing Mixer, with 2 sets of main outs.
2. 32 mono channels with stereo linking (no loss of a channel when stereo linking)
3. 4 submix busses to choose from per channel. All feeding a main Mix Bus. And Inserts for all 5 busses.
4. A full bypassable SSL buss compressor in the master section (this is icing, not a deal breaker).
5. Ability to daisy chain multiple units with full Delta software functionality, and keeping all the submix busses in tack (2 units= 8 submix busses).
6. Keep the price point around the current price, and continue to sell the Sigma Original for those who want/need monitor controller.
7. Keeping the 2 U format, same or similar LED meters

That’s all I can think of right now. But here’s to hoping for a Sigma II.
If SSL can fullfill that list... I'm buying 2 off the bat
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I understood the 16 mdacs used in the sigma are stereo, hence either 16x st, or 16 L CH. This would mean a whole new design.
Old 4 weeks ago
Sigma 2

There is a Sigma user Facebook group (SSL Sigma users) where a wishlist developed and SSL people (Jim I think) wrote that the perspective of a Sigma 2 was being discussed at SSL, this is where this idea came from, I believe.

I already wrote down my wishlist there but the most important to me would be automatable sends. Currently, how can you send your vocals on channel 10 to a reverb post-fader? You need to use the channel direct out but what if you want to send this same track to multiple FX units? What if you want to send multiple tracks to the same reverb? ... Automatable sends would solve all that.

Also, many people were requesting several submix busses.

(Slightly edited) copy/paste from FB:

OK, so here you go, my wishlist:
- 4 (or more) mono/stereo switchable auxes, with automation and pan pots.
- aux returns
- 4 (or 6) stereo sub-groups + 1 main bus. ABCD + main
- (2) insert point(s) on each bus, stereo or MS switchable, on/off toggle. 3 if possible on the main bus.
- main bus inserts could have a mix (or blend) functionality to make parallel treatment easier (typically: parallel stereo compression on insert 1 and MS EQ on insert 2, final limiter on insert 3)
- Software: a simplified Sigma Remote Control
A single DAW plug-in that has it all: comprehensive fully automatable channel (fader, panpots, aux level, aux mono/stereo switches, aux pan, routing, etc.), monitoring prefs - everything in a single comprehensive place.

Now, that next idea would take the unit to a whole new level of functionality in my eyes, although I recognize its complexity.
What about 96 in/outs insert "slots"?
The idea here is to have the equivalent of 2 standard patchbays of outboard half-normalled gear (so that would be an actual physical patchbay) that would be available from a Sigma insert library of sorts. The Sigma would provide 96 physical insert in/outs available as "insert devices" in the sotware.
The software would allow labelling and inserting them whereever in the signal flow.
So, practically, say you have 12 stereo compressors at your disposal (for a total of 24 in/outs). They would be hooked half-normalled to the insert slots 1-12 of the Sigma (also half-normalled on a patchbay), named after their names.
In the Sigma software, you'd be able to insert these devices from the software on single channels, sub-groups, auxes or main bus.
Imagine working on your vocal chain and simply opening a drop-down list from your channel insert slot 1 to select whatever gear you've pre-configured!
That'd save most of our patchbay work (time, potential for errors, etc.), provide visual feedback and simply make it more convenient.
That's also double the cabling, and extra patchbays to allow for the Sigma insert slots, I admit.
Even 48 in/outs would be fantastic!
A bit of Flock-alization, sort of.
Old 4 weeks ago
Solid State Logic

So we all want tons more features for the same or less money right?????

Any speculation about Sigma mk2 is just that at this point. Sorry to put the kybosh on everyone's enthusiasm. And to those that are enthusiastic enough to share their ideas with us - thanks.

Do note that most of what you're asking for adds a ton of audio crosspoints, gain controls, additional MDACs, etc etc. None of it would be cheap. None of it will ever make the "perfect" product for everyone, there's quite a lot of specific use cases in the requests below.

Finally, FWIW we could theoretically switch to 32 mono inputs with the current hardware but you wouldn't be able to pan any of them. Doesn't seem that useable to me... Mono panning is done using the MDACs across the 2 channels being fed into the stereo bus and not from a dedicated, recallable pan contol (because that would add even more MDACs).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Any speculation about Sigma mk2 is just that at this point. Sorry to put the kybosh on everyone's enthusiasm. And to those that are enthusiastic enough to share their ideas with us - thanks.

Do note that most of what you're asking for adds a ton of audio crosspoints, gain controls, additional MDACs, etc etc. None of it would be cheap. None of it will ever make the "perfect" product for everyone, there's quite a lot of specific use cases in the requests below.

Finally, FWIW we could theoretically switch to 32 mono inputs with the current hardware but you wouldn't be able to pan any of them. Doesn't seem that useable to me... Mono panning is done using the MDACs across the 2 channels being fed into the stereo bus and not from a dedicated, recallable pan contol (because that would add even more MDACs).
In that case then maybe 8 mono channels, 12 stereo/mono; I think that would work for more people. Definitely cosign JGM on 4 busses + Main bus all w/ inserts.

Where I differ with JGM, I'd take the master section over an SSL Bus Compressor on the Main Bus, wouldn't mind it but if I had to choose between the two I say master section cuz there's so many great Bus Comps available now that some might prefer for their chain.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Ok I'll bite... I'd love to see a Sigma V2 that is identical to the existing Sigma but adds the following features:
1) Ability to inject bus B into bus A before the insert on bus A.
2) 2 more stereo busses with inserts, all of which can be injected into bus A pre or post insert.
3) 4 FX sends (2 mono 1 stereo) with corresponding returns that feed to bus A.
4) X-Rack total recall connector with ability to store the settings for up to 8 connected X-racks (like on the Matrix).
5) Ability to chain multiple Sigmas.

This would be the ultimate rack mount solution for those of us with hybrid workflows that don't want a full console but would like the flexibility to do a full mix (as opposed to just a summing mix) OTB.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Logic View Post
4) X-Rack total recall connector with ability to store the settings for up to 8 connected X-racks (like on the Matrix).
if I can get that and 2 more busses... Im a happy camper.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I like an AD<>DA companion box, same faceplate as Sigma 32channels AD<>DA madi and/or Dante digital.
Bit like an Alphalink AX reboot, but then updated to current standards.
Regarding the mix A/B, it’s les of an issue for me. I use some of the channels as subgroups (have a Shorti bantam patchbay)
I would also like a Sigma x-patch (so x-patch in 32x32 matrix) to manage inserts fully in DAW.

So a bit more modular approach to the Sigma, with a family of products which can be mixed and matched depending upon needs.

Last edited by Analogue Mastering; 4 weeks ago at 08:58 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Another example.
SSL Sigma->SSL Fusion->SPL TwinTube on M/S->Cranesong Hedd192
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi View Post
Another example.
SSL Sigma->SSL Fusion->SPL TwinTube on M/S->Cranesong Hedd192
Lekker! That liquid shine is undeniable.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Lekker inderdaad!
Lovely depth shine and 3D-ness to your track - nice work!
I get this quality from my Sigma, but it's really a lot harder sometimes impossible when mixing other peoples tracks..
(Sigma - Neve 33609 JD - BAE 1084s with Symphony sound card)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillus View Post
Lekker inderdaad!
Lovely depth shine and 3D-ness to your track - nice work!
I get this quality from my Sigma, but it's really a lot harder sometimes impossible when mixing other peoples tracks..
(Sigma - Neve 33609 JD - BAE 1084s with Symphony sound card)
Thanks! All the parts of the chain do add a bit and play their part. I really like NOT having a full band compressor in the chain.
It stays nice and open this way. I do my compression ITB on groups before it goes out to the Sigma.
I must say the SPL TwinTube on M/S adds significant openness and sparkle on the Side and love the subtle harmonic density on the mid signal. It adds even more to the spices that the Fusion already brings to the table. Sometimes More is More it seems
Then when switching the Hedd processing in/out it is clear it adds some very nice sparkle and vibe 2. The Fusion works great with all it's flavours, utilities and ability to switch parts of the chain in and out.

When everything is off/out it's really dull and a WTF moment.
Then again I mix into it. Sure somebody skilled can yield similar results ITB with UAD etc probably. I however really like physical gear and the unique combination of high-end hardware. Couldn't be happier with the chain.
Maybe add a 2nd Apollo 16MK2 down the road.
Now it's time improve my arrangement and mixing skills!
And continue the gearhunt for analog synths
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I already made my requests on the Facebook group, in any case please don’t ditch the monitor section, it would render the Sigma II unusable without an added monitor controller
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
I already made my requests on the Facebook group, in any case please don’t ditch the monitor section, it would render the Sigma II unusable without an added monitor controller
For YOU. I say ditch it and focus on the summing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I say: enjoy your Sigma’s. There is always the new best thing. But what do I know right! Still waiting for some might be products myself.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
For YOU. I say ditch it and focus on the summing.
Yes, for me. It’s MY request. I don’t wish to buy a separate box for that. Cool?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Honestly, I think there is a still a lot lurking in the Sigma that isn't being used. I really can't tell, I haven't done any reverse engineering, but I'd love to sign an NDA just to see and tinker. I'm sure more power can be had from just the sigma.

As for a sigma 2, no monitor controls for me, that's just a waste (imo). 32 mono, but stereo linkable channels is my no. 1 killer feature. Change nothing else but that and I'll buy it the day it comes out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search