The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SSL Sigma
Old 27th February 2019
  #1381
Here for the gear
 
Telephone Line's Avatar
 

Fusion Vst Control

Hi everyone,
I own both Sigma and Nucleus. One little idea for [email protected]: Why not produce a Fusion with only VST control? I mean, just the box, without any control or just few, for optimal total recall via VST?
Old 8th March 2019
  #1382
Gear Maniac
 

Hi guys,

Happy Sigma owner of two years, just a quick question if anyone can help me out -

I've been using the Sigma monitor section/headphones/talkback and it works great in my setup. I would really like to setup some type or auto talkback system and want to see if I can do it without using up an extra IN/OUT on my interface. Since the Sigma works with ipMIDI, am I able to send a MIDI note out of Pro Tools to toggle the Talkback switch on and off? I have been able to get a stand alone MIDI controller to control the Talkback and Monitor functions, but it would be great to just have one long MIDI note in Pro Tools ready to go so while in playback the talkback is off, when stopped Talkback comes on. I love this function on the D-Command/X-Mon and just with I had it in my setup.

Thanks
Old 19th March 2019
  #1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by spandex man View Post
Hi guys,

Happy Sigma owner of two years, just a quick question if anyone can help me out -

I've been using the Sigma monitor section/headphones/talkback and it works great in my setup. I would really like to setup some type or auto talkback system and want to see if I can do it without using up an extra IN/OUT on my interface. Since the Sigma works with ipMIDI, am I able to send a MIDI note out of Pro Tools to toggle the Talkback switch on and off? I have been able to get a stand alone MIDI controller to control the Talkback and Monitor functions, but it would be great to just have one long MIDI note in Pro Tools ready to go so while in playback the talkback is off, when stopped Talkback comes on. I love this function on the D-Command/X-Mon and just with I had it in my setup.

Thanks
There are plugs that do this.. soundradix and Tritone Digital both make plugins that will mute a channel while playing, but if you don’t want to use up any extra i/o, you may be able to do something with Controller Mate. It’s not quite the same thing, but we used Controller Mate to program two keys on the Mac keyboard to control latching talkback and momentary talkback. CM allows you to fire midi from any computer keyboard, which allowed us to have hardware keys for almost all functions in the master section of sigma.
I guess you could make a macro that toggles the TB with record to give you a similar effect as the d|command.
Old 10th April 2019
  #1384
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
Sigma mix A output is sending out line level - and a pretty hot one, too! Up to +24 dBu. Thuis is so hot that I have a Little Labs RedCloud patched behind mix A out to prevent overloading subsequent analog gear. I'd also say that something is going on on the Apollo's side.
Awesome! I Will try that out! Thanks!
Old 15th April 2019
  #1385
Gear Nut
 
Vertigo2006's Avatar
Hi!

I use almost all the time same settings at my Sigma. How can I store that settings to default? So I don't have to open that ssl console.

V
Old 15th April 2019
  #1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo2006 View Post
Hi!

I use almost all the time same settings at my Sigma. How can I store that settings to default? So I don't have to open that ssl console.

V
In the Sigma app, top-right. Picture of a folder saying Save and Open. It will always load your last saved settings
Old 21st April 2019
  #1387
Lives for gear
 
Progmatic-Studios's Avatar
Will the Sigma add something for electronic dance music productions using mostly VSTis and samples, combined with a hardware stereo Pultec EQ and SSL BC?
Old 24th April 2019
  #1388
Gear Maniac
 
SonicAxiom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmatic-Studios View Post
Will the Sigma add something for electronic dance music productions using mostly VSTis and samples, combined with a hardware stereo Pultec EQ and SSL BC?
I'd say yes. It delivers great depth, width, punch and clarity. My bus comp is inserted into mix B and allows me to achieve parallel compression running into mix A which is uncompressed. Sigma's main output is fed into a Foote P3S comp and then into a pair of BAE 1084's. Btw., in most cases I'm processing VSTi tracks with analog gear (1084's, SSL 611 EQ's/DYN's) prior to mixing to add life/character and sculpture the desired sound.
Old 24th April 2019
  #1389
Lives for gear
 
Skamm Goodiez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
I'd say yes. It delivers great depth, width, punch and clarity. My bus comp is inserted into mix B and allows me to achieve parallel compression running into mix A which is uncompressed. Sigma's main output is fed into a Foote P3S comp and then into a pair of BAE 1084's. Btw., in most cases I'm processing VSTi tracks with analog gear (1084's, SSL 611 EQ's/DYN's) prior to mixing to add life/character and sculpture the desired sound.

I was doing that at 1st only to realize that you can do parallel compression with 1 bus only using the output of the compressor as your compressed signal fader and save a bus in the process
Old 25th April 2019
  #1390
Lives for gear
 
Slug1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmatic-Studios View Post
Will the Sigma add something for electronic dance music productions using mostly VSTis and samples, combined with a hardware stereo Pultec EQ and SSL BC?
And especially if you send mono signals for kicks and snares into mono Sigma channels and clip them a bit to saturate the MDACs. The SSL punch comes through!!
Old 1st May 2019
  #1391
Here for the gear
 

Hey team,

I'm a relatively new Sigma owner and a very happy one at that, but an issue popped up for me this week that's troubling me. My setup is pretty basic. Pro Tools busses > Apollo 16 line outs > Sigma INs, Mix Insert on Bus A to SSL G Bus (analog), Mix A back to the Apollo 1-2, monitor on external input of Sigma. Everything was going great for about 2 months here, but just this past week, a real nasty high-pitched squeal (>6k) appeared in all my Sigma channels. For some reason, it's significantly louder (not just more noticeable) when I solo channels in either the App or the Delta Control 16 Plugin. But, it's everywhere.

Nothing has changed in my setup. Certainly I can check all my wiring, etc, but I haven't changed anything and the noise just appeared. Again, it's in all channels, and obviously in the Mix Bus as well. Here's a bounce I did last night where it's very noticeable at the beginning.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sPg...ew?usp=sharing

Has anyone experienced this before? It's baffling to me that it would just start out of nowhere, and could use a hand tracking it down. I'm getting ready to just tear everything down out of frustration and start re-wiring from scratch, but again, the noise was definitely not here a week ago but is here now (and is in all projects as well, even the older "clean" ones).

Ideas? Thanks for any tips!
Old 17th May 2019
  #1392
Gear Maniac
 

Hi guys,

Question - is it possible to control the Sigma monitor section with the new "Monitoring" section of the Pro Tools Control App?

Thanks
Old 20th May 2019
  #1393
Gear Maniac
 
SonicAxiom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
I was doing that at 1st only to realize that you can do parallel compression with 1 bus only using the output of the compressor as your compressed signal fader and save a bus in the process
thanks for pointing this out! I should definitely read manuals more thoroughly

For others interested: put something like the SSL bus comp on one of the two inserts (for mix a or mix b) and then engage the respective "insert sum" button.
Old 20th May 2019
  #1394
Lives for gear
 
Skamm Goodiez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
thanks for pointing this out! I should definitely read manuals more thoroughly

For others interested: put something like the SSL bus comp on one of the two inserts (for mix a or mix b) and then engage the respective "insert sum" button.
That feature made me lose 2K INSTANTLY lol... When I realized what it was I went STRAIGHT to the store and bought another buss compressor lol
Old 20th May 2019
  #1395
Gear Maniac
 
SonicAxiom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
That feature made me lose 2K INSTANTLY lol... When I realized what it was I went STRAIGHT to the store and bought another buss compressor lol
I WON'T DO THAT!
I WON'T DO THAT!
I WON'T DO THAT!
I WON'T DO THAT!

wait ...

NO! I WON'T DO THAT!
I WON'T DO THAT!
I WON'T DO THAT!

hmmm ...

I WON'T do that today ...
Old 21st May 2019
  #1396
Lives for gear
 
rectifried's Avatar
Thx for the heads up on “sum”
Sigma has 2 stereo buses that can be both turned into wet/dry with the sum buttons
So kind of 4 st buses-ish
Then whatever you strap across the full mix out as well



From the manual


mix bus Inserts
The Mix A and Mix B insert points are enabled through the browser by clicking on the mIX A and mIX b buttons inside the INSerT box. Inserts have a ‘Σ’ function which sums the insert return with the original main stereo mix bus signal. This may be useful for a several reasons: it will allow you to link the mix busses of two Sigmas together by connecting the mix bus output from the second Sigma into the insert return of the first Sigma; or you could use this function with one Sigma to create a parallel compression effect, using the compressor’s output level to control the amount of compressed signal present.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1397
Here for the gear
 

Ok, so I have upgraded my studio with an Avid Analog 16 i/o and a Protools HD ultimate License. I use a Macbookpro late 2016

How would I best integration the Sigma in my workflow? And what connections do I need to have? I have Dsub25 to Dsub25 that I have connected like this:
Avid hd16 analog outputs 1-16 —> SSL sigma CHIPS 1-8 (stereo inputs) —> SSL Sigma MixB.sends/HP—> Avid analog IN SSL sigma mon.L/R—Monitors.

Acccording to the Sigma manual Mix B should come out from XLR 1 & 2 from the Mix B send/HB dsub connection. But I only get a weird, digital feedback when sonhustru and I can’t hear my computer playback when I have connected it like that. I also get feedback in my auxes aswell, even though I don’t have an input on them. I am really confused about this.


I would like to do the following:

- Play something from the computer so I can hear it in my monitors.

- Hear playback AFTER protools. That means the summed mix from the Sigma after my daw.

- Use plugins on my masterbus

-Connect a Stereo EQ and a channelstrip as Hardware I/O inserts.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1398
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrouggieSounds View Post
Acccording to the Sigma manual Mix B should come out from XLR 1 & 2 from the Mix B send/HB dsub connection. But I only get a weird, digital feedback when sonhustru and I can’t hear my computer playback when I have connected it like that. I also get feedback in my auxes aswell, even though I don’t have an input on them. I am really confused about this.
Ok, so I think I foundation the problem with the feedback! It’s the ”Mapp busses to output” that I didn’t know about! ?

Still I would live to get some setup-tips som I can get the best of this Beast!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1399
Lives for gear
 
rectifried's Avatar
To anyone in the US looking for a sigma
GC used has one online for a very good price
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/So...Sigma-Mixer.gc
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1400
Gear Head
 
SynthCat's Avatar
 

Just recently picked up a Sigma and it sounds fantastic, but of course there's a problem.

Nearly everything works with one exception: recording automation into Logic Pro X from my SSL Nucleus. Maybe you can help?

With such little documentation out there available, I’ll try to document my problem in detail so as to hopefully help future participants.

Here’s my scenario:
  • Moving the faders of the Nucleus moves the faders in both the Sigma Remote App and the Delta Control 16 AU plugin.
  • If I play back automation from Logic, the Nucleus, Sigma Remote App, and Delta Control 16 app all update faders as expected.
However:
  • If I move the Delta Control 16 faders using the mouse, automation is recorded to the automation lanes in Logic.
  • If I move the faders on the Nucleus, no automation is written to the automation lanes in Logic.
Basically seems like the Delta Control 16 app isn’t handing off the automation data to Logic, despite clearly receiving it from the Nucleus as seen via the Remote app and plugin updating.


My setup details:

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.5, Sigma App 2.1.33, Sigma Firmware 2.1.53, Nucleus HW v1, SW v2.0/2. ipMIDI v1.7 (20 ports, loopback off)
Latch is enabled on the track with the Delta Control 16 plugin.
Nucleus layer 1 is mapped to Sigma App via ipMIDI 1-2.
Nucleus layer 3 is mapped to Logic Pro X via ipMIDI 5-6.
MIDI from ipMIDI 1-2 is being filtered from Logic via Logic MIDI input filter setting.
‘Write automation for: Plugin’ is checked in Logic automation settings.
Everything has been rebooted many times and turned on in the suggested boot order.



What am I missing?

Thank you for any insight.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1401
Gear Head
 
DUB13's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthCat View Post
Just recently picked up a Sigma and it sounds fantastic, but of course there's a problem.

Nearly everything works with one exception: recording automation into Logic Pro X from my SSL Nucleus. Maybe you can help?

With such little documentation out there available, I’ll try to document my problem in detail so as to hopefully help future participants.

Here’s my scenario:
  • Moving the faders of the Nucleus moves the faders in both the Sigma Remote App and the Delta Control 16 AU plugin.
  • If I play back automation from Logic, the Nucleus, Sigma Remote App, and Delta Control 16 app all update faders as expected.
However:
  • If I move the Delta Control 16 faders using the mouse, automation is recorded to the automation lanes in Logic.
  • If I move the faders on the Nucleus, no automation is written to the automation lanes in Logic.
Basically seems like the Delta Control 16 app isn’t handing off the automation data to Logic, despite clearly receiving it from the Nucleus as seen via the Remote app and plugin updating.


My setup details:

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.5, Sigma App 2.1.33, Sigma Firmware 2.1.53, Nucleus HW v1, SW v2.0/2. ipMIDI v1.7 (20 ports, loopback off)
Latch is enabled on the track with the Delta Control 16 plugin.
Nucleus layer 1 is mapped to Sigma App via ipMIDI 1-2.
Nucleus layer 3 is mapped to Logic Pro X via ipMIDI 5-6.
MIDI from ipMIDI 1-2 is being filtered from Logic via Logic MIDI input filter setting.
‘Write automation for: Plugin’ is checked in Logic automation settings.
Everything has been rebooted many times and turned on in the suggested boot order.



What am I missing?

Thank you for any insight.

I can confirm the same problem here with the Matrix2 and logic. It seems that it happened after the latest logic update, as my automation was working fine before that.
The exact same issue happens, automation is written into logic using the delta plugin with the mouse, but from the console it doesn’t work. Really strange.
I have been in contact with SSL support and just waiting to hear back after sending them all the details.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1402
Gear Head
 
SynthCat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUB13 View Post
I can confirm the same problem here with the Matrix2 and logic. It seems that it happened after the latest logic update, as my automation was working fine before that.
The exact same issue happens, automation is written into logic using the delta plugin with the mouse, but from the console it doesn’t work. Really strange.
I have been in contact with SSL support and just waiting to hear back after sending them all the details.
That makes me SO glad to hear! Such a relief lol. Here I had spent hours trying to get it working.

It makes complete sense to me that this would be related to the latest Logic update because they revamped the way MIDI was handled for sync destinations in 10.4.5. (It used to have just two destinations, but now you can add many more with additional flexibility for each one)

It’s likely that the Delta Control app is pointing to an automation destination that no longer exists in Logic post-update.

So with that in mind, I imagine SSL is going to have to update the automation destination from within the Delta Control plugins to get this working again.

I can live with manual drawing in fader automation while they work to update this. Hopefully Jim can confirm that they already have this on their radar; otherwise I’ll also submit details (though it’s really clear what the problem is now).

Thanks so much for replying to me lol. I was getting so frustrated with the setup being like 98% functional and thinking it was my fault.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump