The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADAM Artist + ADAM Sub8 = good idea?
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Addict

ADAM Artist + ADAM Sub8 = good idea?

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering. I've actually heard these in a well behaved room, but wasn't entirely sure if I was getting the best value for my money.

I know there are other ADAM monitors that are priced similarly or better (like the new A7 nearfields).

Has anyone used the A7 and Sub8 and if it were possible would they be able to compare the A7 to the Artist. I know the A7 has more bottom end (down to 46hz vs 52 for the Artist) but I wasn't entirely sure if the top-end of the A7 was the same as the Artist.

I prefer to look of the Artists, that's for sure. And the new silver design Sub8 to match looks really nice. But I'm also considering value for money as I do have a tight budget, and don't want to spend a whole lot more than I need.

I use a notebook for my audio mixing, use EnergyXT as a sequencer, and plan on getting Ozone-3 (or 4) demo for my rough mastering experiments (nothing pro, as I plan on getting it done by a pro master as I'm sure it's going to be better than what I can do at home).

I use a Presonus Firebox interface (the DACs are supposedly pretty hot for the money) and I also use a MXL V6 Silicone Valve microphone with everything set up for the microphone (stand/pop shield/room treatment for both mic and speakers).

Apart from that, everything else is pretty much set to go. I know the ADAM monitors are pretty expensive, compared to Blue Sky MediaDesk monitors which sounded *very* good to my ears even though the ADAM set up that I listened to a few days ago had superior top-end and 3D imaging that made the MediaDesks seem 2D in comparison. But almost any monitor I've heard sounded 2D compared to ADAM monitors!

I think Blue Sky's subwoofers are AMAZING. But the Sub8 won over them because of the ability to control the crossover point. I can't do that with the MediaDesks. These are the next choice after this set up, so that says something about Blue Sky - they are indeed amazing speakers for the money. The tweeters on the MediaDesk satellites are very high quality, not far at all from the likes of Genelec, and I'm not lying.

Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ben
Old 8th January 2008
I'm also really interested to hear how the A7 + sub8 setup performs. Its amazing how little info there is on the net about this. can't find any reviews anywhere.
Old 24th May 2008
Gear Head

I am about to buy the A7 but what about the sub8 ? Damn... no info on this seems available ! Adam supprot suggested that I try first with the A7 before goint to the sub8 ...
Old 8th October 2008
Lives for gear

Hi,
how did it go.

Did you get the Sub 8?

I'm thinking to get the A7 + Sub8, can you edit where the cross over happens?

Thanks
Old 4th November 2008
Here for the gear

Lapo

I will be getting the Sub8 to complement my A7's next week, ill keep yall posted. btw the a7's are great standalone, I can just imagine what depth the subs will add.
Old 31st December 2008
Gear Nut

I just bought a Sub8 to complement my A7 monitors. I have now spent two days in the studio since I got the sub and I am really happy with the result. I am not a big fan of listening with a lot of bass so I was worried if the result would be "wrong" to my ears but no.

I spend a while to position the Sub and find the right level and cross frequency. I ended up placing it where I started, in the middle right behind the desk. I also set the cross frequency to just over 70hz.

So I can happily recommend this setup to you.

D.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search