The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pro Tools Please!
Old 22nd September 2006
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Pro Tools Please!

I tired emu, it is no pro tools.

I tried Lavry Blue, but it didnt make my m149 that i bought sound like a website's sample recording of it at all, and i have a decent pre.

so, I bought an AD converter cd from mercenary.com, and pro tools is so much more round, open, clear, musical, dynamicly emotional...then lavry GOLD!

It also has that 'professional' quality that the mp3 file of the m149 i heard had.

But, do i have to spend 15,000 on pro tools to get the sound of the $3995.00 Digidesign HD 192?

Can the pro tools converter, via spdif, work on any ol soundcard?
Old 22nd September 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
T.RayBullard's Avatar
 

Somehow I dont think the Digi stuff will be that much better than Lavry Gold converters... you CANNOT accurately gauge a sound by listening to a cd..no way, no how, nowhere.!

"i tried emu..it is no protools"---em...one is an interface, one is a DAW..

get your hands on a converter..beg borrow or steal, and LISTEN IN PERSON. DO NOT MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON A CD...!!!If you DO base your decision off of a damned CD, you deserve whatever comes to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessNick View Post
I tired emu, it is no pro tools.

I tried Lavry Blue, but it didnt make my m149 that i bought sound like a website's sample recording of it at all, and i have a decent pre.

so, I bought an AD converter cd from mercenary.com, and pro tools is so much more round, open, clear, musical, dynamicly emotional...then lavry GOLD!

It also has that 'professional' quality that the mp3 file of the m149 i heard had.

But, do i have to spend 15,000 on pro tools to get the sound of the $3995.00 Digidesign HD 192?

Can the pro tools converter, via spdif, work on any ol soundcard?
Old 22nd September 2006
  #3
Here for the gear
 

You ruining this thread

The CD was a great AB test with four different song samples.

I listened to it, and i have a lavry blue i use often, and it lacks something.

I believe these high end convereters are all great, i do not mean to offend anybody, but to my ears, i know pro tools converters are what i want, to my ears.

Can anybody tell me if a pro tools converter, for 4,000 can be used with spdif into a non pro tools soundcard?

That is my real question, i didnt mean to offend anybody, just to say what my ears prefer, and if i can use pro tools converter without dishing out 15 grand.
Old 22nd September 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 
SiliconAudioLab's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessNick View Post
I tired emu, it is no pro tools.

I tried Lavry Blue, but it didnt make my m149 that i bought sound like a website's sample recording of it at all, and i have a decent pre.

so, I bought an AD converter cd from mercenary.com, and pro tools is so much more round, open, clear, musical, dynamicly emotional...then lavry GOLD!

It also has that 'professional' quality that the mp3 file of the m149 i heard had.

But, do i have to spend 15,000 on pro tools to get the sound of the $3995.00 Digidesign HD 192?

Can the pro tools converter, via spdif, work on any ol soundcard?
Not sure what you mean you tried emu. What, the whole company?
Old 22nd September 2006
  #5
Here for the gear
 

I tRied emu. i did not call up and tire the whole company!

Again, can a pro tools converter alone, which is cheaper than the whole package, be used via spdif into a regular soundcard?

do you need to dish out about 15 grand for their converter to work?
Old 22nd September 2006
  #6
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 

.
Old 22nd September 2006
  #7
Gear Nut
 

How about trying a few more high end converters the logic your'e using is a little hard to believe.
Old 22nd September 2006
  #8
Here for the gear
 

my logic is hard to believe?

You all are making fun at me, for asking a sober, simple, honest question...because of what?

The truth is, if any of you knew the answer, you would tell me it.

You are bullying me...because you do not have experience with pro tools enough to know, and so you feel like your not enough of a big shot to supply a simple answer.

Thus, you want to make fun of me.

Thanks.
Old 22nd September 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Harley-OIART's Avatar
 

This thread is although somewhat derailed... sort of legitimate.

Bottom Line to the Original Poster, No I am pretty darn sure you cannot use the Digidesign 192I/O Interface as a standalone converter as you would like to do.

You gotta be running ProTools for it to work properly... to my knowledge anyway.


Resepctfully,
Scott
Old 22nd September 2006
  #10
Lives for gear
 
2leod's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessNick View Post
It also has that 'professional' quality that the mp3 file of the m149 i heard had.
Entertaining first post, but this one is your poker "tell".
Old 22nd September 2006
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Thank you so much.

I do not mean to offend anybody or create an argument.

I just want to go after what my ears and heart desires, if it means i have step up my gear for my own personal taste, then i guess i will.

I will phrase my words in a way to not act like my opinion is on a soapbox.

I am sorry to the other people in this forum, i am knew to forums, and i fail to put things into the best words.
Old 22nd September 2006
  #12
Here for the gear
 

btw, you say do not judge a converter by a cd.

I just wanted to add this, in a kind way...is not a converter, mic, preamp and all purchased, learned, used...to be burned onto a CD!!!!!!



If you cannot use a cd, why do we buy these things...for cds?
Old 22nd September 2006
  #13
Here for the gear
 

my poker tell?

I NEVER claimed to be a big shot.

Im in the high end forum because I love music, and own

1. Lavry Blue
2. M149
3. RE20
4. Neumann M149
5. Emu 1616m
6. Delta Omni studio i/o
7. Great River Pre
8. Sebatron Pre
10. Grace 101
11. Aphex Aural Exciter
12. Tons of VST and DirectX plug ins.

This all can easily add up to 15-20 grand.

No million dollar studio, but ive had engineering courses, read many books, and have studied on the internet, such as these forums.

Ive been into music recording for close to 10 years now, and from the beginning it was because i love music.

NEVER have i ever related music to poker.

Are we playing AGAINST eachother?

should we be jealous, lie on forums, and put on a 'poker face'?

NO!

Be honest, be respectful, and share knowledge.
Old 22nd September 2006
  #14
Here for the gear
 

i said m149 twice by accident.

I also own a triton, and a 3500 dollar Yamaha keyboard.

Im giving you guys my full poker hand.

Game is over, lets just be nice to eachother please.
Old 22nd September 2006
  #15
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
Nick - I couldn't put my fingers on the info you requested, but I know some of the older DIGI interfaces could be used in stand alone mode. I'm not sure about the 192 though. Couldn't find confirmation one way or another about it.

Your question is not strange. I'm not sure why Digi is the great Satan, but it sure sounds like a lot of people think it is. I've done A/B shootouts between Apogee AD8000's and 888/24's and prefered the Digi interface for some rock stuff. Liked the bottom end better. Of course I know that's heresy. LOL

The bottom line is, does it make it sound like you want it to sound. Pure and simple. 20 years ago you would have gotten laughed out of the studio if you said you didn't want to put reverb on everything. Then later, "real" engineers would have been horified if you used a compressor or overdrove a mic pre to get distortion. Now all those things are standard par for the course.

The Digi 192 is a good interface. No shame in wanting to use it. If it sounds better than the Lavry - GO FOR IT!!! For a true A/B shootout though, you will need to have the same exact source feed both interfaces. Just cause you like a CD with an interface sound on it, there is so much more that plays into it - instrument, performance, room, mic pre, etc. etc. Good luck. I hope someone can answer your question. Bill
Old 22nd September 2006
  #16
Here for the gear
 

the cd shows tons of different converters with four analog recordings.

Each is sent straight from tape to all the converters.

Thus, it is a legitamate A-B, for a converter to CD is the end result, so a CD that does an AB test is perfect to know...for it IS an a-b test...on digital media--to test...analog to DIGITAL recordings...

i believe it is 100% legit.
Old 22nd September 2006
  #17
Lives for gear
 
doubledecker's Avatar
Look mate, i agree with you on this one.
192 sounds excellent.It will do everything Lavry can do and much,much more.
But only with Protools software.
And if it is good enough for George Massenburg it's good enough for me
Old 22nd September 2006
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Ruudman's Avatar
 

True, 192 is PT only.

ruudman
Old 22nd September 2006
  #19
Lives for gear
 
T.RayBullard's Avatar
 

Dangit, Walters got a new ID.

Old 22nd September 2006
  #20
Lives for gear
 
danasti's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessNick View Post

You all are making fun at me, for asking a sober, simple, honest question...because of what?

You are bullying me...because you do not have experience with pro tools enough to know, and so you feel like your not enough of a big shot to supply a simple answer.
I don't see anyone making fun of you or bullying you.. All they were suggesting is to make a direct comparison in person and try more converters.

Our ears are usually the first thing to go wrong; play tricks on us. Listen for too long - on the wrong set of speaker - too loud - bad mood - too good of a mood and you interpret what you hear in a totally and completely different fashion. It's usually the human making errors not the machine because we are human and we interpret music emotionally.

So their suggestions are to sit with the converters for a few days - in person and record into them - play back from them - calibrate their inputs to the outputs of your devices and then make a judgement.

And just so you know I work with a Lavry Blue 2 mic pre - 2 ADC - 2 DAC option and a digi 192 and I strongly prefer the Lavry to the 192, especially for anything critical monitoring. We all have different opinions on converters and their is no correct opinion.

(Also - you can get PT HD2 and a 192 for around $10k - HD2 is plenty of processing for a setup like yours.)
Old 23rd September 2006
  #21
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessNick View Post

You are bullying me...because you do not have experience with pro tools enough to know, and so you feel like your not enough of a big shot to supply a simple answer.

Thus, you want to make fun of me.

Thanks.
Sorry didn't mean to be rude but it just strikes me that if your'e as insane about audio as you obviously are (join the club) and willing to buy a hd system to achieve a sound you heard on a mp3 with such and such mic then your first step should be trying out different high end converters first and eliminating as many posibilities as possible. You may save money and find a sound you like even more and if not then you'll never again doubt your original instincts.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump