The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Royer 121 matched pair? Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Addict

Royer 121 matched pair?

Picked up a royer 121 about a week ago, and what do you know... I HAVE to have another. Should I consider returning the one I already bought to buy a 'matched' pair? Does royer even match 121s? Would I even notice a difference if I bought another single and compared the two? Thanks for the insight!
Mike
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Addict

I got a non matched pair, use it all the time without problems. I think this "matched pair" thing is more about marketing, no one has absolutely the same ears left/right, no one positions his speakers in a 100% symetrical environment.
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huarez View Post
I got a non matched pair, use it all the time without problems. I think this "matched pair" thing is more about marketing, no one has absolutely the same ears left/right, no one positions his speakers in a 100% symetrical environment.
I dont agree.It isnt just "marketing" Some companies do not have exacting standards(or have changed standards over the years)..and I really like to have microphones that are close in terms of Db and freq. response.Makes things a little easier. I think royer's specs fall within a certain tolerance, so you should be fine just buying another.
Old 23rd September 2006
member no 666

FWIW I have found that "non-matched" pairs can net a larger overall soundfield than "matched" pairs.

I have 2x R-121's. One is a proto-type with a 200 ohm output transformer, the other is a production model with the standard 300 ohm output transformer. I use them as pairs all the time [from drum overheads to two mics on a guitar cabinet to room mics] and have to say that I have never seen nor heard a need to get a third R-121 that is "matched" to my production model unit.

As always, YMMV.
Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Thats a good point Fletcher, I was going to say something similar, like if the 2 mics aren't perfectly matched you seem to get a more "stereo" sound field. I often in mixing will do something different to one side of a pair of stereo tracks to mess them up a little and give them some character and width so the same goes for mics IMO. I would say though as a general rule, the cheaper the mics/less QC from the company, the more you might want to have 2 mics that were made somewhat close together: for instance alot of the Chinese mics, some Russian etc. But overall I wouldn't worry about it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search