What's a piece of gear that gave you the Wow factor
Old 21st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
oh hell yeah, now we're talking!
They don’t rattle or squeak and some make the chair higher
Old 21st July 2020
The best wheels are the sunniedog wheels! I also added the mesh headrest on mine! The headrest looks like it’s part of the chair and, one you get it, you can’t be without it!! I also added a buttkicker with my hd600. You need to hear this to believe it! It just works so well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Did you get the rollerblade wheels off Amazon?
Pimp my Aeron!
Old 21st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
The best wheels are the sunniedog wheels! I also added the mesh headrest on mine! The headrest looks like it’s part of the chair and, one you get it, you can’t be without it!! I also added a buttkicker with my hd600. You need to hear this to believe it! It just works so well!
Headrest !! Tell me more !!
Old 21st July 2020
This is the one I got. https://www.amazon.ca/Headrest-Herma...5357372&sr=8-3

A little expensive but, worth it!!
Quote:
Headrest !! Tell me more !!
Old 21st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
This is the one I got. https://www.amazon.ca/Headrest-Herma...5357372&sr=8-3

A little expensive but, worth it!!
Game changer. Ordered. I can now make a hit song.
Will mention you in Grammy speech.
Old 21st July 2020
😂 looking forward to that speech!!
Quote:
Game changer. Ordered. I can now make a hit song.
Will mention you in Grammy speech.
Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear

RCA 86A on acoustic gtrs.
Wow
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
Demeter VTMP-2c
This pre makes every LDC FET mic sound better. I own some really nice pres but there's something really special about the Demeter paired up with an LDC FET. Creaminess for days. I'm surprised this pre doesn't get more love around here.
I've owned a VTMP-2b for almost 30 years, got it "refurbished" to c specs by Demeter sometime in the last decade or two...it's probably the last piece of studio gear I'll get rid of after I sell off everything else in anticipation of the zombie apocalypse.

But I do get why it's a sleeper: It sounds really good without being conspicuously over-the-top in its Really Good-ness. It doesn't so much color signals as it highlights them; compared to an overtly "tube-y" preamp the Demeter sounds pretty neutral, and it's only when you compare it side-by-side to a genuinely neutral preamp that you realize the Demeter isn't neutral...and that your neutral preamp is actually kinda boring.
Old 1st August 2020
Lives for gear
Biggest wow overall?

PPG wave 2.3. Would've never thought that the warmest synth I'd ever play would be digital (and I've played most of them!). Doesn't work for everything, but to this day, nothing else does what it does, hardware or software. The sound of analog synths will always be my first love, but damnn. That soundddddd.

But really, the gear that wows me the most is the gear that wows consistently in use over the years. Sometimes the stuff that wows at first doesn't wow over time.

Stuff that wows over time:
- Vintage Minimoog. Deceptively simple interface, and a lot of stuff can get close to what it does on some things, but after playing just about every synth out there, this one is still the best, discover new sonic gems every use, the base tone is still the best out there, and works on everything a synth works on. Other synths can do what it can't, but nothing else can do all it does as well, and to a scary extent.

- Fender Rhodes. Buried in a mix hard to tell if its real, but playing one in person, or at the front of a mix, the real deal just sounds so chunky and full of character and physical.

- Prophet 600 (with gligli mod, that's essential!). For me the best all rounder vintage synth ever that blows away stuff four times its price, still way under the radar for as good as it is. Gligli mod took a sleeper synth with the right raw materials and made it punch wayyyy above its weight. I've got a p5rev2 and I still have my p600, and still discovering new uses for it.

- a good vintage string synth with 3 bbd ensemble. nothing else does that sound, and most of them do it pretty well (my personal favorite is eko stradivarius, but performer, elka, solina, all great!). Bbds in general are just such fun.

- good vintage delay and analog phasers. Everytime I switch these basic hardware fx on, I'm re-wowed, simple pleasures, but still. The sort of thing that plugs are great at until its forward in a mix, then the hardware just sits above the rest. Getting a real RE-101 was a revelation (not all tape echoes sound good, my first one was a sonic dud), bbd units like vrs-23 and yamaha e1010 amaze too, classic digital delays with their analog companders and such rock too like Dynacord vrs-78 or Ursa Major sst-282 (crazy verbs too), Oto BIM is a new unit that's killer that plays in the same sound garden as these as well. For phasers vintage mxr phase 90 and small stone, but this is an area where recent stuff often sounds just as good, the new schulte compact phasing clone based on jurgen haible's schematics is incredible, and the doepfer 12 stage makes sounds I've heard in little else.

Non keys are less my dept. But here's stuff that has consistently impressed me and remained when other stuff got sold. Sometimes doesn't have to be pricey to be killer!:
- Capi vp28 (thick, warm, punchy, wonderful)
- nearly anything AML (2254 and pultec clone, soon more!)
- phoenix preamps (nice neve meets api detailed balanced yet warm kinda thing)
- Coil tube amps (the NF control is incredible!!).

I also just picked up an ancient RCA BA-33a germanium line amp from the 60s. What a sleeper, talk about tone, damn, and cheap too, definite wow.
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear
Fender '57 Champ 5F1
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Weight Tank WT-72 and some small (but incredibly good) monitors I'm currently reviewing that have to be the best-bang-for-buck out there!
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Weight Tank WT-72 and some small (but incredibly good) monitors I'm currently reviewing that have to be the best-bang-for-buck out there!
very interesting Bose.
Did not know the weight tank: looks impressive.
Looking forward to discovering your monitors.
Thank you for sharing
Cheers
Sergio
Old 7th August 2020
An unknown Marshall jmp from the year 1982 with Mullard valves. With "Folke" mod, some kind of pre amp mod made back in the 1980s.
I could play like Metallica and Thin Lizzy. I could sing to it when I played to, in the room.
Every time I played it with the Gibson Les Paul Standard, It said that I was "one" with the state of Pennsylvania.
Maybe it was made there?!
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyFusicTonic View Post
An unknown Marshall jmp from the year 1982 with Mullard valves. With "Folke" mod, some kind of pre amp mod made back in the 1980s.
I could play like Metallica and Thin Lizzy. I could sing to it when I played to, in the room.
Every time I played it with the Gibson Les Paul Standard, It said that I was "one" with the state of Pennsylvania.
Maybe it was made there?!
It isn't impossible but very unusual to get a JMP after they had changed to JCM in 1982.

this is very interesting!!

Can you please share some detailed pictures? Innards and outer pics. And also, a short clip of some Thin Lizzy would be amazing. I put the Hot Mod in my 1977 JMP 2203 and it is as you describe. Amazing.
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
It isn't impossible but very unusual to get a JMP after they had changed to JCM in 1982.

Can you please share some detailed pictures? Innards and outer pics. And also, a short clip of some Thin Lizzy would be amazing. I put the Hot Mod in my 1977 JMP 2203 and it is as you describe. Amazing.
Maybe it was a JCM, I sold it back in 2005, it was a 2 x 12 combo!
I felt like a young child when I played it, it was magic, I recorded with the ddrum 4 se module with a mesh head kit and a mackie 8bus, but first i strummed a few chords on the Marshall amp!
I could play like Alex Van Halen!
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Minikorg
Streichfett
Mellotron
Prophet 08
Moog Voyager
Wurli145B
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
What are the monitors?
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
...some small (but incredibly good) monitors I'm currently reviewing that have to be the best-bang-for-buck out there!
Hey b0se, I think I might have some of those too. Super duper small monitors indeed!
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Hey b0se, I think I might have some of those too. Super duper small monitors indeed!
aw cmon you bunch of tease-sluts
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post

Can you please share some detailed pictures?

Now I remember, it was a JCM 800! But it broke, The sound became weak sometimes, I sold it to a man who looked like Jesus!
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Soon :D
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lol!
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Addict

Heritage Audio Successor
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by makasi View Post
Heritage Audio Successor
Hello,

Really?
What is the best use of the successor? what does it shine on ?
Can you share your experience?
Regards
Sergio
Old 12th August 2020
Weight Tank WT-72 and Vintagedesign VDC
Old 12th August 2020
Neumann U77
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
Weight Tank WT-72 and Vintagedesign VDC
Hello,
Anybody had the opportunity to compare that weight tank wt-72 against modjo units like the silver bullet, or Zulu?
Who wins the game of fatness?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Cheers
Sergio
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello,
Anybody had the opportunity to compare that weight tank wt-72 against modjo units like the silver bullet, or Zulu?
Who wins the game of fatness?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Cheers
Sergio
Not sure what you are after. Those 3 units are about as different from one another as you can get....
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Not sure what you are after. Those 3 units are about as different from one another as you can get....
Hello and thanks for your reply,

I am searching for maximum analog fatness and density to really beef up my daw tracks.
I already own a Silver Bullet, a Zulu, and a Thermionic Culture Phoenix.
Will that Weight Tank unit bring me to a serious fatness step higher?
Cheers
Sergio
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello and thanks for your reply,

I am searching for maximum analog fatness and density to really beef up my daw tracks.
I already own a Silver Bullet, a Zulu, and a Thermionic Culture Phoenix.
Will that Weight Tank unit bring me to a serious fatness step higher?
Cheers
Sergio
?? I have no idea. It's a brilliantly executed and elegant sounding V72. I don't look to it for dirt or saturation, although it is certainly colored and gorgeous sounding.

Wait....are you talking about the mic / line pre (WT72) or the Comp?
📝 Reply