The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's a piece of gear that gave you the Wow factor
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I have four pieces of gear I'll never part with:

1. Flea 47
It took many years of using various vocal mics before I landed on the Flea 47. I've had it for a few years now and it suits me perfectly. My days of searching for the right vocal mic are over.

2. Kush Clariphonic MS
This specialized eq is magic sauce. It has blown away everyone who has heard it and it's brought my mastering game to another level.

3. Audio-Scape V-Comp
On male vocals, this comp imparts a character that I cannot get from any other piece of gear I own. I love all the Audio-Scape products but this is easily my favorite.

4. Demeter VTMP-2c
This pre makes every LDC FET mic sound better. I own some really nice pres but there's something really special about the Demeter paired up with an LDC FET. Creaminess for days. I'm surprised this pre doesn't get more love around here.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Among the new stuff, here’s what’s been wowing my factor in no particular order:

Highland Dynamics BG2
SSL Fusion
Revv D20
AEA Ku5a
Flea 47
Roswell Microphones’ Colares
RME Madi FX
RME m32 pro ad/da
Heritage Audio HA609a (And so cheap!)
Audioscape stuff (Chris’ la2a, STA, g comp and 1176’s sound like really great versions of vintage pieces that have been expertly maintained... It’s shocking)
Fender Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster (the force is strong with this one)
Old 1 week ago
POM's POM PYE compressor sounds amazing!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Among the new stuff, here’s what’s been wowing my factor in no particular order:

Heritage Audio HA609a (And so cheap!)

I bought the Successor about a month ago. Didn't know HA made the 609.
With them both being Diode compressors did you notice much difference between the 609 and the Successor? Ive never heard the HA609 in action.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I am all location. So my Aaton Cantar gets a lot of comments, like never seen a mixer like that. Even better when you show off the magnetic fader knobs.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMGOD_OFFICIAL View Post
I bought the Successor about a month ago. Didn't know HA made the 609.
With them both being Diode compressors did you notice much difference between the 609 and the Successor? Ive never heard the HA609 in action.
I don’t have the successor or know anything about it... sorry!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
I have four pieces of gear I'll never part with:

1. Flea 47
It took many years of using various vocal mics before I landed on the Flea 47. I've had it for a few years now and it suits me perfectly. My days of searching for the right vocal mic are over.

2. Kush Clariphonic MS
This specialized eq is magic sauce. It has blown away everyone who has heard it and it's brought my mastering game to another level.

3. Audio-Scape V-Comp
On male vocals, this comp imparts a character that I cannot get from any other piece of gear I own. I love all the Audio-Scape products but this is easily my favorite.

4. Demeter VTMP-2c
This pre makes every LDC FET mic sound better. I own some really nice pres but there's something really special about the Demeter paired up with an LDC FET. Creaminess for days. I'm surprised this pre doesn't get more love around here.
Dang... there’s a Demeter VTMP-2c for $1200 on reverb right now!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Dang... there’s a Demeter VTMP-2c for $1200 on reverb right now!
Check out the sax on this track. It was recorded with a Blue Dragonfly through my Demeter. That sax has to make your ears smile. I have a Blue Kiwi that pairs so nicely with the Demeter that it rivals any 87 I've heard through any other preamp. I have some great pres (Hardy M1, Sebatron Axis 200VU, Hendy DaVinci) but the Demeter is the one I wouldn't want to lose.

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

ATC SCM45
Josephson C617
RCA R44
Neumann M49
teletronix La2a
TC Electronic 6000
Bricasti M7
And so on...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Schoeps Omni mk2 capsule for cmc-6 mic
Old 1 week ago
vintage neumann km84 from 1983

vintage grey beyer m160n from the 1970s

line audio cm3 mics
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Chandler Limited REDD.47

Beyerdynamic M88TG
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagefields View Post
Chandler Limited REDD.47

Beyerdynamic M88TG
I love the $200 mic paired with the $2,000 preamp
Old 1 week ago
The "View Mentioned Gear" "in this thread" in the thread options is a great idea.

Chandler is killing it. 😮
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Chiming in with a few of my enduring 'Wow Factor' items:
  • Amphion One15 Monitors - have upped my game in every respect in the 4yrs I've been mixing on them, amazing little beasts
  • Soundcraft DLX 24:4:2 console - all hail the analog board; superbly clean-sounding 'project studio level' console, I ain't never going back (to ITB)
  • Microtech Gefell M296 SDC omni pair - hard to put into words what an astonishing sound you get from these incredible mics
  • Line Audio CM4 SDC wide-cardioid pair - decidedly not 'high-end', but every time I record with them they make me go 'Wow' because their price-to-quality ratio is just off the chart
  • Meris Mercury 7 reverb pedal - jaw-droppingly luscious 'Blade Runner' reverb; a one-trick pony but it is a good trick
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpro View Post
I am all location. So my Aaton Cantar gets a lot of comments, like never seen a mixer like that. Even better when you show off the magnetic fader knobs.
I have one too..X3 with the Cantaress
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Rupert Neve Designs Shelford Channel

Sweetspots galore
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ampex PR10 pre amp. Amazing sweet, rich tone. A sleeper for sure.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edinburgh View Post
ATC SCM45
Josephson C617
RCA R44
Neumann M49
teletronix La2a
TC Electronic 6000
Bricasti M7
And so on...
+1 on the scm45’s
Old 4 days ago
Neumann KM84 continues to be the most honest capture of acoustic instruments I've ever experienced.
@Audioscape V-Comp, as mentioned previously in this thread, is just full of pixie dust. Even in bypass, untouchable.
@Heiserman H47 Tube. i have both headbaskets. It's out of this world good. As close as I've heard in a 47 reproduction. But then, it starts with Eric's K47 capsule which is absolutely flawless (even down to that annoying 9.86khz ping). And the M7 one definitely sounds like the M7s in other Neumann-Gefell microphones I have.
Neumann U67 reissue. I popped a 1960 Telefunken EF806s tube in it, and BAM, ear popping.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear