The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
can a Digi 002R clock to an external D->A converter via ADAT? Digital Converters
Old 21st September 2006
Gear Maniac

can a Digi 002R clock to an external D->A converter via ADAT?

I own a Digi 002R and have borrowed an Apogee DA16x

The Digi 002R does not have a word clock in

I have hooked the 002R ADAT out into the Apogee DA16x ADAT in at 48k

The DA16x is set to internal clock

The 002R refuses to set sync to the ADAT ... and keeps reverting to internal clock. Am I screwed? Can I not get the benefit of the Apogee clock? (The DA16x does not have an ADAT out, of course.)
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

you would need a big ben or a ad16x... you can't send the word clock out through the da16x... It must be the ad16x adat out into the 002 adat in... Screw digi for not giving you word clock in/out
Old 21st September 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
you would need a big ben or a ad16x... you can't send the word clock out through the da16x... It must be the ad16x adat out into the 002 adat in... Screw digi for not giving you word clock in/out
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 21st September 2006
Gear Maniac

On the topic of external converters for a 002, the Panasonic / Ramsa WZ - AD96 are a great way to go. That's what I use. They are hard to come because where can you get 8 channels of great a/d conversion for under $1K? Incredible if you can find one! I looked for 8 months, and finally found one listed in the classifieds here by a fellow gearslut. How cool is that?!
Old 21st September 2006
Gear Addict

It's pretty embarassing how the new Mbox 2 pro has word clock and the 002 doesnt. What in the hell was Digi thinking?
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
I have hooked the 002R ADAT out into the Apogee DA16x ADAT in at 48k
The DA16x is set to internal clock
Not a good idea... It should sync to incoming ADAT.

Quote:
The 002R refuses to set sync to the ADAT
Of course, ADAT is a one-way connection...

Unless you find another device to accept wordclock and send ADAT to the 002, you'll have to use the Digi as clock master.
Old 21st September 2006
Gear Maniac

Hold on. This should work. I use a Lucid 8824 like this and it works fine. Lucid is set to internal, it is my clock. ADAT optical feeds 002 and clock is set to ADAT. Check that the Apogee clock and the Pro Tools session sample rate are the the same.
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Isn't the Lucid 8824 Analog to Digital as well as Digital to Analog?

This would work because it's sending ADAT to the 002 AND getting ADAT from it.

The D/A 16x is only getting ADAT from the 002 as it's only a Digital to Analog converter. So it's essentially downhill from the 002, hence, no go.
Old 21st September 2006
Gear Maniac

Ah yes. I thought we were talking AD16. Time for new glasses.
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRaX View Post
It's pretty embarassing how the new Mbox 2 pro has word clock and the 002 doesnt. What in the hell was Digi thinking?
true, true!

Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

I think they were thinking that putting 'em on the 002 for the .01 percent of users who would use it would cost a few nickels extra, and you know the profit's in the nickels.

I think there are gonna be some HD owners, and other pretty serious users who are gonna buy MBox 2 to use as a dongle.
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I think they were thinking that putting 'em on the 002 for the .01 percent of users who would use it would cost a few nickels extra, and you know the profit's in the nickels.

I think there are gonna be some HD owners, and other pretty serious users who are gonna buy MBox 2 to use as a dongle.
I recon the 003 (or whatever they call it) will have word clock etc - but knowing DIGI it'll be way overpriced for what you get in today's market.

Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

I rekon the word clock could also have to do with all the electronic music guys making rekkids at home these days.

Seems the landscape is changing quickly these days.

I bet the 003rack is gonna come up a lot on the 'sumer' end of 'pro-sumer'

Here's my guess:

eight preamps instead of four (which you won't want)

no S/MUX; still stuck at 44.1/48

still only two digital ins at 96/24

phono inputs

and they're gonna 'give' you a ton of those Digi/BF plugins that 'retail' for $400.

Why should they listen to any of us?

The thing I can't believe is that we got more sends but not more inserts in PTLE.

helllllooooo, Digi? Aren't you guys trying to sell plugins? Don't you think we could use more plugins with more insert points?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search