The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any SSL X-rack users here?
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Any SSL X-rack users here?

Hi,

I'm considering a SSL X-Rack for summing but im not sure if my DAW stereo output will have any benefits when I run it trough an X-Rack and back..
I mainly produce and mix trance and techno music btw.

Any X-Rack users here? What are the pros and cons?
Thank you!
Old 29th August 2013
The way an X-Rack works best is by using as many 4-Input modules as possible and a single 8-Input module. This is because you want to do the levels/pans entirely in the analog domain via the X-Rack.

The exception to this being the tracks that you do not have enough channels to individually output to the 4-Input modules. In those circumstances you would group them to a stereo output ITB and bring them up on one of the stereo pairs of the 8-Input module. That scenario is best for backing vox, keys, send effects such as reverb, delay, etc.

Unless you have at least 16 channels of D/A available (32 preferably) the X-Rack (when used for summing) will bring little to the table.
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

So if I understand correctly, if I only use a stereo output from my DAW (RME Babyface stereo out), the X-Rack is useless?
Old 30th August 2013
Solid State Logic

If you are only using a stereo output from your DAW then pretty much any summing unit will be next-to-useless. The more channels you sum out the greater the effect.

If you're only planning on taking a stereo out from your DAW then my X-Rack suggestion would be a Bus Comp and a stereo EQ.
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you are only using a stereo output from your DAW then pretty much any summing unit will be next-to-useless. The more channels you sum out the greater the effect.

If you're only planning on taking a stereo out from your DAW then my X-Rack suggestion would be a Bus Comp and a stereo EQ.
Thanks Jim.
So if im right, I can connect my RME Babyface stereo out (jack) to the X-Rack or Mynx --> Bus comp and/or EQ --> back to the RME Babyface XLR?
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

..or anyone else?
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear
I agree with Jim. You should be looking at a stereo EQ and stereo compressor.
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

What's the difference between the X-desk modules and lunchbox/500 ones? Are there any??!
Old 2nd September 2013
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erol View Post
Thanks Jim.
So if im right, I can connect my RME Babyface stereo out (jack) to the X-Rack or Mynx --> Bus comp and/or EQ --> back to the RME Babyface XLR?
That would be the way :-)
Old 2nd September 2013
Here for the gear

For my first post, I will agree with Jim as well. If you're just looking at processing your stereo buss, then there's nothing to sum, so picking up a good buss compressor and eq is a good option.

However, your Babyface has an ADAT output so, depending on your budget, you could add an 8-channel DA converter to your system, giving you 10 outputs to send out for summing (assuming your set up uses two of your analogue outputs for your monitoring).

If you went down that road, then analogue summing becomes a bit more interesting (although you'll still be looking at sending out stereo stems). My X-Desk arrived last week -and I've been really impressed with that so far- so that's another option to consider, then you've got those channel and master insert points to fill be your processing gear of choice...
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Thank you.
@jim, are the X-Rack and 500 modules exactly the same?
Old 2nd September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thank you.
@jim, are the X-Rack and 500 modules exactly the same?
http://www.solidstatelogic.com/support/xlogic/

Sent from my LT22i
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Lindberg View Post
Thanks.
So they are practically the same, except for the total recall and some features because of the size. And I've noticed there less 500 modules compared to X-Rack modules. There's no stereo EQ in the 500 series for example..
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

how's the EQ, Dynamics and Buscomp compared to the UAD versions?
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
how's the EQ, Dynamics and Buscomp compared to the UAD versions?
Your talking about the real SSL HD vs UAD plug in emulations , Well the HW is that nice 5% difference . I have the EQ and comp in a Mynx , the silver faced units . Very clear and punchy . Would like to get some black units eventually .

Also to the previous post , SSL just started releasing the 500 series stuff .
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Your talking about the real SSL HD vs UAD plug in emulations , Well the HW is that nice 5% difference . I have the EQ and comp in a Mynx , the silver faced units . Very clear and punchy . Would like to get some black units eventually .

I'm thinking of buying a Mynx with 1 stereo EQ and 1 Stereo dynamics channel. I already own the UAD SSL channelstrip and Buscompressor.
Is this 5% difference really worth the $$?
How are you using the Mynx btw. On a 2bus?
Old 3rd September 2013
Solid State Logic

Is it worth it?

Only you can decide this.

For me personally I think it is. Not everyone will agree with me.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it worth it?

Only you can decide this.

For me personally I think it is. Not everyone will agree with me.
with all respect but you work at SSL im not sure if it really sounds that different or better than the UAD and Duende SSL plugins and unfortunately I can not compare them..
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

what do you expect? he's not lying.

they're better. there's no way someone else can tell you if the difference is going to be worth it to YOU.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
what do you expect? he's not lying.

they're better. there's no way someone else can tell you if the difference is going to be worth it to YOU.
I think the HW has to sound better but im very curious how it compares with the UAD and Duende plugins..
Old 3rd September 2013
Solid State Logic

Quote:
with all respect but you work at SSL im not sure if it really sounds that different or better than the UAD and Duende SSL plugins and unfortunately I can not compare them..
You're quite right to say this. However I'd stand by the same statement if you asked me about, say, Tubetech IMHO the excellent plug-in from Softube gets to 95% but the hardware just adds some magic...
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're quite right to say this. However I'd stand by the same statement if you asked me about, say, Tubetech IMHO the excellent plug-in from Softube gets to 95% but the hardware just adds some magic...
Hi Jim, thanks for clarifying this. I think I understand what you mean
Are the UAD, Duende and X-Rack stereo EQ modelled from the same EQ? So I can compare them?
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

The black units are fantastic. I really do like my Black EQ. My next stop is some silver units.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
The black units are fantastic. I really do like my Black EQ. My next stop is some silver units.
What kind of music do you produce and/or mix?
Why do you prefer the black over the silver units ATM?Now it true the black has more "color" compared to the silver ones?
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying a Mynx with 1 stereo EQ and 1 Stereo dynamics channel. I already own the UAD SSL channelstrip and Buscompressor.
Is this 5% difference really worth the $$?
How are you using the Mynx btw. On a 2bus?
Yes the 5% does make a difference , I use it to process drums only at this point for the punch that I want to hear . My link demonstrates the silver comp/eq in action for drums http://www.invictusaudio.com/ . I have been doing ITB for 15 years and now In the process of trying to move over to analogue . With the Sigma coming out and other companies like better-maker and their mastering eq with digital recall it is making the choice easier for me . If SSL brought out fully digitally recallable channels like bettermaker or the Neve genesys eq/comp cartridges , I would be very happy So I just use it as menioned above .

I have to say the SIlver X comp is amazing for tracking vocals and bass . It is a very good compressor .
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have to say the SIlver X comp is amazing for tracking vocals and bass . It is a very good compressor .
I've used the silver x-rack comp on vocals, too and I agree that it's a great vocal comp. I haven't used it on bass much but I used to use it frequently as a vocal compressor when mixing. I thought it was fantastic.

Regards,
Frank
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
What kind of music do you produce and/or mix?
Why do you prefer the black over the silver units ATM?Now it true the black has more "color" compared to the silver ones?
Hi Erol.

For sure the black ones are just full of color and character with such smooth knobs for twisting fun.
I am not going to lie I am a huge fan of SSL and of course as an owner of the SSL Matrix I had to get my self an X-Rack full of wonderful EQ.

I own a few EQ units and the black are my favorites up there with my other favorites from the GR Harrison of course.

Remember with the black EQ you are actually getting 2 Eq's in one unit as they are switchable between black and brown. Have not spent to much time with the brown as the black always has me smiling.
I often boost with the black EQ, anything from drums to bass and lead lines.
All electronic music here. No samples though.
Drum machine processing, synths and all that stuff.

Another thing I can add is the quality of the X-Rack. It is decent and very well built. Not heavy and awkward either, quite light actually.
BTW The black just look so much better
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Hi Erol.

For sure the black ones are just full of color and character with such smooth knobs for twisting fun.
I am not going to lie I am a huge fan of SSL and of course as an owner of the SSL Matrix I had to get my self an X-Rack full of wonderful EQ.

I own a few EQ units and the black are my favorites up there with my other favorites from the GR Harrison of course.

Remember with the black EQ you are actually getting 2 Eq's in one unit as they are switchable between black and brown. Have not spent to much time with the brown as the black always has me smiling.
I often boost with the black EQ, anything from drums to bass and lead lines.
All electronic music here. No samples though.
Drum machine processing, synths and all that stuff.

Another thing I can add is the quality of the X-Rack. It is decent and very well built. Not heavy and awkward either, quite light actually.
BTW The black just look so much better
Thanks. I'm still in doubt though... Also because I only have room for 2 modules in a Mynx rack... So. 2 mono black EQs or 1 stereo silver EQ and 1 silver stereo dynamics channel...
Also looking into a lunchbox solution btw..
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

you do get the g and e curves with the super analogue modules

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search