The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any SSL X-rack users here?
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry guys, SSL Hardware is not a 5% difference from a plug-in. It's a MASSIVE difference. We can talk all day, but just try the real thing.

Still liking the Waves SSL Bundle though, particularly the E-Channel. But it's not as badass as the real thing.
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

I think the "5%" difference is just an approximation as I said earlier I own the hardware and software , waves , Duende etc . I am sure we hear the same difference - my 5 % is equal to your 20 % .
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
I think the "5%" difference is just an approximation as I said earlier I own the hardware and software , waves , Duende etc . I am sure we hear the same difference - my 5 % is equal to your 20 % .
Do you own the SSL stereo EQ? How do you use it?
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erol View Post
Do you own the SSL stereo EQ? How do you use it?
Just the single channel versions of the EQ and comp . I run it as an insert for getting my drum tones . Once I like the sound of the Kick , I then print a bunch of samples of it and make a gog , then I do the same with the snare . Then fly in the gogs for the rest of the tunes . I also use it for tracking Vocals and Bass , as said earlier it is a really good vocal compressor . I decided to try it one day and super impressed . Really good for rock and metal vocals , it's clean and punchy .
Old 5th September 2013
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erol View Post
Hi Jim, thanks for clarifying this. I think I understand what you mean
Are the UAD, Duende and X-Rack stereo EQ modelled from the same EQ? So I can compare them?
I'm afraid they are not.

The Duende is a port of the EQ and Dyn algorithms we have in our C-Series consoles. These are not "models" of anything, but have the same curve characteristics as the hardware.

The Waves were modelled on E-Series channel strips from the early 80's (we sent them our "mother" prototypes)

The UA ones were modelled on a specific G-Series desk (can't remember whose I'm afraid)

They are all a little bit different. The hardware is too:

The "Silver" modules are taken from the 9000/AWS/Duality
The "Black" models are from the E Series

Some nice info here Solid State Logic | Music | X-Rack and downloadable hi-res files so you can listen for yourself :-)
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm afraid they are not.

The Duende is a port of the EQ and Dyn algorithms we have in our C-Series consoles. These are not "models" of anything, but have the same curve characteristics as the hardware.

The Waves were modelled on E-Series channel strips from the early 80's (we sent them our "mother" prototypes)

The UA ones were modelled on a specific G-Series desk (can't remember whose I'm afraid)

They are all a little bit different.
So duende has only the 9k (???) curves then and the dynamics section doesn't model any analog hw? This is strange cause it has been said that the c200 from which duende originates models the 9k console.

Would you say that the waves and uad channel strips are closer to the analog hardware, that their dynamics sections behave more as a hw? I guess yes cause they have SSL stamp on them.
Old 5th September 2014
Here for the gear

Hi, a completely desperate newbie here needing some serious guidance.

I am setting up a small projects studio and thinking of buying the following x-rack tracking configuration:

2 Mic pres - 2 e-series dynamics - 2 e-series eqs - 1 stereo bus

Is it possible to connect 2 eqs or 2 dynamic comps to get a stereo?

In terms of recording it will be used for vocals primarily, electric bass or acoustic guitar here and there.

Otherwise, I would use eqs and comps for taking out particular channel(s) for processing and back to daw.
Old 5th September 2014
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojukebox View Post
Hi, a completely desperate newbie here needing some serious guidance.

I am setting up a small projects studio and thinking of buying the following x-rack tracking configuration:

2 Mic pres - 2 e-series dynamics - 2 e-series eqs - 1 stereo bus

Is it possible to connect 2 eqs or 2 dynamic comps to get a stereo?

In terms of recording it will be used for vocals primarily, electric bass or acoustic guitar here and there.

Otherwise, I would use eqs and comps for taking out particular channel(s) for processing and back to daw.
As long as the 2 Dynamics modules are next to each other in the rack then they can be linked for stereo operation - however you will have to set the knobs on each one as it is only the sidechain that is shared between the 2 modules. This is no problem as you can copy/paste settings between modules to set them up. Stereo EQ - no problem, use copy/paste

Hope this helps.
Old 5th September 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
As long as the 2 Dynamics modules are next to each other in the rack then they can be linked for stereo operation - however you will have to set the knobs on each one as it is only the sidechain that is shared between the 2 modules. This is no problem as you can copy/paste settings between modules to set them up. Stereo EQ - no problem, use copy/paste

Hope this helps.
Thanks very much Jim! This answers all my questions.
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

Buy one mono and one stereo module for each, EQ and Comp

It will cost you a little bit more, but you'll end up with many more options, without occupying any more slots on the X-Rack (still room for the two pres and the bus Comp).
Old 6th September 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
Buy one mono and one stereo module for each, EQ and Comp

It will cost you a little bit more, but you'll end up with many more options, without occupying any more slots on the X-Rack (still room for the two pres and the bus Comp).
Well, you just red my mind. I was thinking about the same thing, but didn't want to pest Jim about it.

Thank you very much.
Old 9th April 2015
Rea
Lives for gear

Im an X Rack user. Blacks and Silvers- eq's and Dyn's.

I also have all the plug emulations out there.

What i find is that the HW is way clearer and more "3D". There is depth and separation between eq bands and the dynamics are less "smeared" for a lack of a better term.

Now it may seem like a small difference to some while A/B'ing a single track (to me it still sounds like a big difference even on single tracks), but once you start piling up tracks its obvious- the difference starts multiplying. It eventually lands to the difference between a muddy and grainy mix and a clear and deep mix. HW is a real pricy path, but it gets the mix better and faster. No doubts at all.

The 20% talk etc. is worthless... its like the difference between a good and poor performance. Its exactly that little area at the top of the scale that defines a pro from an amateur.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search