The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL Mixdream. Bringing it up way after the initial buzz Summing Mixers
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

SPL Mixdream. Bringing it up way after the initial buzz

Up until about a year ago, the SPL Mixdream was talked about as a second coming for summing. Now that the thrill has been dead for a while now, I figured I'd bring it up again.

My opinion: I think it is a great summing mixer. The mono channels really allow you to place things in the center of the mix and when I say really, I mean REALLY put things in the center and ultimately define those instruments (Bass, kick, snare, lead vox). Most people fight for those guys to sit right in the mix and the SPL mono function is the closest piece to a magic bullet I've found. Between that and all the insert functions which allow you to use your outboard gear. (along with just a touch of the stereo widner), I think the SPL definitely ups the ante and improves mixes. Just my opinion.

What do you guys think?
Old 21st September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post

What do you guys think?
Don't take my word for anything but when i heard it at the shootout i was very unimpressed when stacked up against the Equinox,Chandler mini mixer,Neve 8816,API 8802 and Tonelux summer.

But to be honest i haven't really kicked its tires in its entirety so my opinion is on a passing observation.
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Head

i think id have more fun taking 3 grand, putting in a bucket, lighting it on fire and then pissing on it to put it out. The spl is THAT much of a rip off, IF your running an hd system. there is absolutely no discernable difference worth the price tag for that box. We quickly returned ours and got a chandler summing amp and we were absolutely blown away by the sound improvement of the chandler. Seriously the spl is useless with HD systems. The summing of an LE system or MIX+ system may be improved but your throwing away your cash otherwise. Chandler all the way baby. Even better news though we recently traded our chandler in for a tg-1 limiter and purchased a ssl 4056 with 48 channels of e eq and the rest g. Kick ass! good luck with your summing boxes hope you find one that suits you well.
Old 22nd September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman720 View Post
i think id have more fun taking 3 grand, putting in a bucket, lighting it on fire and then pissing on it to put it out. The spl is THAT much of a rip off, IF your running an hd system. there is absolutely no discernable difference worth the price tag for that box. We quickly returned ours and got a chandler summing amp and we were absolutely blown away by the sound improvement of the chandler. Seriously the spl is useless with HD systems. The summing of an LE system or MIX+ system may be improved but your throwing away your cash otherwise. Chandler all the way baby. Even better news though we recently traded our chandler in for a tg-1 limiter and purchased a ssl 4056 with 48 channels of e eq and the rest g. Kick ass! good luck with your summing boxes hope you find one that suits you well.
What nonsense. Both summing units have a completly different sound. The Chandler has more of a colored sound while the SPL is cleaner. What you should say is you didn't care for the clean sound and you expected more of a "analog" colored sound. The SPL is made of high quality and it expands the depth of your music. Not sure why you would think summing on a LE or Mix would be any different comapred to a HD. You are doing the same thing, just getting your outputs from your converters into the box and back in.
Old 22nd September 2006
Gear Head

what nonsense? hardly bro. What i am saying, is that there is so little difference between the suming in HD and the summing in the spl that it is certainly not worth the money spent on the unit. Matter of fact id like to see you tell the difference between the spl and a mix summed in hd. Does it not make sense to you that the summing in LE and tdm is FAR less superior than that of an HD system? THAT is where i am sayin the spl may come in handy. It is true i wanted a bigger, more affected sound from a summing box. I dunno about you though, but when it comes to the spl on a hd system, i dont wanna pay 3grand or more for something i simply cannot hear, or am struggling to hear.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search