The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hi-end home studio pics
Old 3rd October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Not "high end" not "low end" but just right to get things done. Piano is Steinway, drums are Gretsch, microphones are great, room treatment is more than enough. Biggest problem I have is limited space. But just about everyone in NYC has that problem. We adapt.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi-end home studio pics-img_0422.jpg   Hi-end home studio pics-img_0418.jpg   Hi-end home studio pics-img_0419.jpg   Hi-end home studio pics-img_0428.jpg   Hi-end home studio pics-img_0087.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Awesome!
Old 9th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Not "high end" not "low end" but just right to get things done. Piano is Steinway, drums are Gretsch, microphones are great, room treatment is more than enough. Biggest problem I have is limited space. But just about everyone in NYC has that problem. We adapt.
hell yeah harlem world
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wow! Nicely done, really makes me miss the city.

Is that a U47?? And what desk is that - the Output Platform? Sorry for all the questions heh
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kore View Post
Built around a 16 Channel Wunderbar and Pro Tools HDX.
[As someone about to get a 16-channel Wunderbar - well, maybe, see other thread...]

there is not enough drool.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My little abode.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi-end home studio pics-b03bd8d7-12cf-4724-ac0e-04f29cfe6628.jpg  
Old 15th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Updated pics of my home project studio:

Old 16th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythUndreamt View Post
Wow! Nicely done, really makes me miss the city.

Is that a U47?? And what desk is that - the Output Platform? Sorry for all the questions heh
It’s a Flea 47 vintage and yes an Output desk. Pretty nice desk. Big, spacious. But one weird thing. Wanted to put my Nord on the keyboard tray but knobs were too high. Kind of a drag.
Old 16th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It’s a Flea 47 vintage and yes an Output desk. Pretty nice desk. Big, spacious. But one weird thing. Wanted to put my Nord on the keyboard tray but knobs were too high. Kind of a drag.
Looks awesome in there. The mic too.

Sucks about the keyboard tray height - might be adjustable downwards or you just create a new set of holes for the shelf? dunno.
Old 10th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Not high end, but it nearly does what I need
Attached Thumbnails
Hi-end home studio pics-img_0017.jpg  
Old 10th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc View Post
Not high end, but it nearly does what I need
The good ole' Nucleus.
Old 11th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Nucleus2 that is - I waited until v2 where they added Dante and a 2nd pair of monitor outputs.
Old 11th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Updated photos of my studio in the Cotswolds, UK.
The control room of studio is in my old guitar making workshop.
I still have some way to go with the acoustic treatment but it is acceptable for now.

Studio is based around Dante with Pro Tools HDX & and Avid MTRX and a decent amount of analogue outboard and various synthesisers.

Because I'm running Dante I can use any of the spaces in the main house as live room fairly easily.

Last edited by uptheoctave; 11th September 2020 at 01:42 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
I still have some way to go with the acoustic treatment but it is acceptable for now.

Studio is based around Dante with Pro Tools HDX & and Avid MTRX and a decent amount of analogue outboard and various synthesisers.

Because I'm running Dante I can use any of the spaces I the main house as live room fairly easily.
That'll work! Nice Dobro (among other things).
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think this qualifies Very nice set up! It's what I'd like to be when I grow up lol, except the Pro Tools piece.
Old 12th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Absolutely fantastic home set-up! Say, how do you guys manage to get power to everything when the electrical plugs are the size of coffee mugs?

Serious question. Every time I'm in the UK, I keep wondering how you lot manage!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Absolutely fantastic home set-up! Say, how do you guys manage to get power to everything when the electrical plugs are the size of coffee mugs?

Serious question. Every time I'm in the UK, I keep wondering how you lot manage!
Having made the transition 19 years ago, it’s still something I find... challenging. There are 13 amp fuses in these things - I’ve always wondered what they thought was going to happen.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Actually most of my devices are attached to Furman/ART distributors.
When I moved to the UK from the US I had to switch a load of the gear over to 110v. It was a PITA.

It would be nice if we could globally standardise to one power specification and one side of the road to drive on.
I'll make a deal- you get to choose one of them, but we get the other.
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Actually most of my devices are attached to Furman/ART distributors.
When I moved to the UK from the US I had to switch a load of the gear over to 110v. It was a PITA.

It would be nice if we could globally standardise to one power specification and one side of the road to drive on.
I'll make a deal- you get to choose one of them, but we get the other.
Ok, is there a way to hook up all your/our/my/his/her/their 110 (117V actually) gear to central power conditioners and plug them into one power transformer that would step down the 240/50 to 120/60? Could save a lot of space and conversion issues!

And yeah, since most of the world is 220-240, you choose that.

and since most of us the world drives on the right side of the road, maybe we could pick that side? Honestly, I love being in the UK and Ireland driving on the left side of the road.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=Ward Pike;14968411]Ok, is there a way to hook up all your/our/my/his/her/their 110 (117V actually) gear to central power conditioners and plug them into one power transformer that would step down the 240/50 to 120/60? Could save a lot of space and conversion issues!
/QUOTE]

I did that for a bit but it becomes tricky when you have mixed voltages.
A lot of gear converts over but a few things like the ViPre preamp and my guitar amps had to be properly converted over.

I still have one device- a Tannoy TS10 subwoofer that cannot be affordably converted to 230v. I use a step down transformer for that.

Quote:

And yeah, since most of the world is 220-240, you choose that.

and since most of us the world drives on the right side of the road, maybe we could pick that side? Honestly, I love being in the UK and Ireland driving on the left side of the road.
Sounds fair.
Who do we talk to so this happens?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=uptheoctave;14968449]
Quote:
Ok, is there a way to hook up all your/our/my/his/her/their 110 (117V actually) gear to central power conditioners and plug them into one power transformer that would step down the 240/50 to 120/60? Could save a lot of space and conversion issues!
/QUOTE]

I did that for a bit but it becomes tricky when you have mixed voltages.
A lot of gear converts over but a few things like the ViPre preamp and my guitar amps had to be properly converted over.

I still have one device- a Tannoy TS10 subwoofer that cannot be affordably converted to 230v. I use a step down transformer for that.

Sounds fair.
Who do we talk to so this happens?
Most new stuff these days has 240/120 transformers. Manley doesn't. Then when you get into old stuff... you get into problems with 50Hz/60Hz... guitar amps and things like that. I'm still running some things on 240/120 step-down transformers as well. It can get fiddly at times when things on transformers get ground loops with other stuff in the rack, but most good equipment is fine.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
A house with a Steinway and no other Gear is high end to me... Nice stuff man
Lives for gear

love how neat this is

my room is so messy - with only a fraction of the gear its a total mess

Love not seeing wires - totally know how much effort you would have to make to make it this neat

looks superb

Quote:

Because I'm running Dante I can use any of the spaces in the main house as live room fairly easily.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Lovely place! Please can you tell me what those rack panels you are using to run cables through on the desk are called - the ones with the dust flaps? Never seen those before.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscent View Post
love how neat this is

my room is so messy - with only a fraction of the gear its a total mess

Love not seeing wires - totally know how much effort you would have to make to make it this neat

looks superb
Thank you.

A lot of cable ties and bases in there.
I'm not obsessively tidy though- I just like things laid out in a logical manner.

Having all the outboard on DB25 patachbays means I have a load of 8 way cables (about 30 of them) trailing along the floor, you just can't see it in the photos.

If I wasn't running Dante I'd have a lot more cables too- as all the synths would need patching.
As it stands they are just connected directly to one of the Dante converters and a single ethernet cable is run back to the switch.

When I redesign the room I'll put loads of cabling in the wall cavities and under the floor but that is 2 years off at least.
Lives for gear

looks superb - i can barely see any leads. I know thats really hard. I've 15 synths and its imposs to hide the leads stragling around the place.

Your Outboard looks great - yeah its one of those pics where you go wow how clean is all that. lot of effort.

not familiar with dante - sounds good.

Quote:
Thank you.

I'm not obsessively tidy though- I just like things laid out in a logical manner.

Having all the outboard on DB25 patachbays means I have a load of 8 way cables (about 30 of them) trailing along the floor, you just can't see it in the photos.

If I wasn't running Dante I'd have a lot more cables too- as all the synths would need patching.
As it stands they are just connected directly to one of the Dante converters and a single ethernet cable is run back to the switch.

When I redesign the room I'll put loads of cabling in the wall cavities and under the floor but that is 2 years off at least.
Lives for gear

looks superb - i can barely see any leads. I know thats really hard. I've 15 synths and its imposs to hide the leads stragling around the place.

Your Outboard looks great - yeah its one of those pics where you go wow how clean is all that. lot of effort.

Quote:
Thank you.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscent View Post

Dante is AoIP (Audio over IP).
The big rack of synths & the Eurorack are connected to a 16 channel interface that connects to the main switch over a single ethernet cable.
The latency from the synths to the Avid MTRX is 0.25ms (round trip including buffer is larger of course).
You can put more channels on the network very easily- buy a converter, plug it into the network and route it in Dante Controller. Done.
No more huge multicore runs- just Cat 6/7 ethernet cable.
It has change my whole workflow.

Last edited by uptheoctave; 12th September 2020 at 08:44 PM..
Old 13th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Not sure this is really high end, but here's my home studio.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi-end home studio pics-20200523_172340.jpg   Hi-end home studio pics-20191019_174144.jpg   Hi-end home studio pics-20200404_175802.jpg  
Old 13th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrojape View Post
Lovely place! Please can you tell me what those rack panels you are using to run cables through on the desk are called - the ones with the dust flaps? Never seen those before.
Those are called 1U Brush Panels. Or Brush Strips.
Common in networking racks but useful in these situations too to keep things clean. You can get them in 2U too. On the reverse side (inside of the rack), there are often tie-down points where you can use a cable tie to keep the cable running through the opening from slipping.
πŸ“ Reply