The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a Digital console to retire Old Mackie 32*8 Control Surfaces
Old 20th September 2006
Here for the gear

Looking for a Digital console to retire Old Mackie 32*8

I am thinking of retiring my trusty Mackie 32 8 bus and my 16 channel vlz pro and my Mackie Control universal and going to a fully digital console.

I really only used the Mackies for cue mix, and used my outboard preamps for digital input to Digital Performer and to feed a cue mixes to the mackie.

I mix mostly in the box with my trusty MCU to improve my workflow and it really has. So much so that i am eyeing the Mackie D8b on ebay pretty hard. They are selling for 2500 with effects on every channel and focusrite preamps on every channel. These were 10K a few years ago.

There are a few other contenders like the Tascam 3200 I think it is. But the question is ... Should I do it. I know I am going to retire the Mackie but should I stay with an analog console or Not. I like the idea of having better quality preamps, all digital control surface with at least 24 real faders. (I hate bank switching) and perhaps an even better workflow and a solid increase in the quality of signal.

I have to be able to send multiple mixes and I don't want to look at a tiny screen or decipher cryptic symbols.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me to look at? Again, I use DP.

Thanks a bunch.

Zeb

Last edited by ze3b; 20th September 2006 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: forgot to turn on notification
Old 20th September 2006
Gear Maniac

Go for the Sony Dmx R 100.
It goes or around 6.000-8.000 $ on ebay, offering value only the big digital consoles can
compete with.
For sure the DM 2000 is another option, but for way more cash.
The Sony Board is a classic already, nice preamps, nice channelstrip and converters.

Go for it

eleo
Old 20th September 2006
Lives for gear

But keep in mind that in a few years there won't be any support and spare parts for the Sony!
Old 20th September 2006
Gear Maniac

Damn, your right,
my beloved sony just broke down on me and is gone for maintenance...
But hell, hope they have some parts for replacement left ...

I will stay with my Sony until the bitter end, thats for sure!!

eleo
Old 22nd September 2006
Here for the gear

I wish! perhaps I posted in the wrong forum section but the Sony is to rich for me. I wish I could spend that kind of money but I cannot. So let me rephraze my question. If one were to buy a Mackie D8b, what should they know going in.. in terms of limitations or add on boards to purchase. Most of my inputs needs are analog I can see needing 16 channels of analog at once and 8 channels of ADAT, often a midi track or two.

I like to get a UA card also.

What other advice might you who have tread before me offer?

Thanks so much.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search