The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gordon vs. Pueblo (vs. Forssell, Pendulum, NPNG, Audio Upgrades...)
Old 9th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
I had thought RME would come out with something like a ADC/Dante interface; maybe they still will.
Agreed. I hope they do that, as well...and keep the price reasonable!
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
Thanks Rumi, I cleaned up the reaper file included to work with my setup and bounced back between the NPNG and ADT. Strangely in isolation I preferred the NPNG tracks, but in a mix, the ADT sounded more finished. This was late last night, so I want to check it again today.. How similar is this to the ADT TM101?
Thanks again for an interesting comparison, both are excellent preamps.
Yes, both are excellent preamps!

By the way, the 5MT signal was taken from the direct outs.

If you use the Reaper file, there is also an SWS snapshot list included, to switch between channels, solo instruments, and to have the instruments on ADT and vocals on NPNG, or the other way round.

There is silence at the beginning of the vocal tracks because they line up with the music, and start after an instrumental. It is much better to listen to it all in context. If all tracks start at zero, you will get yet another render of "I am a pilgrim".

"More finished" fits the ADT well. The NPNG has this clean clear detached presentation of all the details, while the ADT sounds a bit more "like mixed".

I don't know how similar the 5MT is to the TM101. You might ask Gerd Jüngling himself, he is very approachable.
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
Thanks again Rumi. Incidentally, there is a stretch of silence at the beginning of the vocal tracks.

EDIT: In hearing the ADT I started to wonder whether the Daking might sit between the NPNG and ADT. So I checked your samples in the other thread and, sure enough, there were the Daking and NPNG! Bravo.
I experienced the Daking as rather unimposing sounding, but in a positive way. It somehow presented the overtone spectrum of an acoustic guitar really nicely.

In the long run, I most often used the EQ for mastering, though (go figure). And eventually sold my pair.
Maybe the Electrodyne pre has some similarities in sound to the Daking pre?

I would be interested in your findings.
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Thank you for posting those samples. I also noticed the NPNG vs Lake People F355 class A samples on your site. Both comparisons made me very happy with the ADT and Lake People preamps in the roles that I use them in. I should note that the ADT TM101 is known for sounding slightly more precise in the highs than the model of the same preamp in the ADT consoles, according to a test by Dieter Kahlen. I'll attach it below. According to how I know my own TM101's I can confirm that impression when listening to your samples. My TM101's are a bit more agile/energetic sounding, somewhere in between your ADT and NPNG samples. Since mine have Elma switches for the gain at my own preference points and the NPNG cannot be made with Elma switches I am happy to stay with what I have, especially since I do not record rock, but only acoustic/classical.

The F355 class A sounds especially good in conjunction with Lake People's own AD-converter F444: more subtle in the transients and not as "hard" as it can sound with others. The two seem to be "tuned" to each other, although I find the F444 to be an excellent converter with many other preamps.
Very interesting, thank you for sharing!

Are you sure that Karl Diehl couldn't make you a custom NPNG with Elma switches? As far as I know, it's at least possible to have a custom built unit with stepped switches.

Edit: By the way, I wouldn't call the NPNG a "Rock" preamp. The ADT 5MT reminds me more of Rock than the more relaxed and open sounding NPNG.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
.... according to a test by Dieter Kahlen. I'll attach it below. According to how I know my own TM101's I can confirm that impression when listening to your samples. My TM101's are a bit more agile/energetic sounding, somewhere in between your ADT and NPNG samples. Since mine have Elma switches for the gain at my own preference points and the NPNG cannot be made with Elma switches I am happy to stay with what I have, especially since I do not record rock, but only acoustic/classical.
There is also a review from Studio Magazin about the Gordon Model 5 (attached). It has stepped gain settings via a seperate gain control (remote). What you describe with "more energetic" sounding could also fit to the Gordon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gordon Model 5.pdf (733.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
Are you sure that Karl Diehl couldn't make you a custom NPNG with Elma switches?
I already checked this with Karl years ago and he said it was not possible.
Old 11th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
Edit: By the way, I wouldn't call the NPNG a "Rock" preamp.
That is sorta silly, because I use mine for "Rock" AND "Roll"...all the time. But not because I am looking for it to add that...Whatever "that" is...I tend to use mine for louder sources like Drums and Bass, due to the passive trim before the 7-transistor front end, which lets me use the hot mics I like on loud sources.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adebar View Post
There is also a review from Studio Magazin about the Gordon Model 5 (attached). It has stepped gain settings via a seperate gain control (remote). What you describe with "more energetic" sounding could also fit to the Gordon.
I am aware of the Gordon. A very interesting preamp that I have actually tested. Maybe you should have a look at the comments I wrote in this thread in 2014: Holy grail preamp: most versatile? Those comments were even reason for Grant Carpenter to give one of his very rare comments on GS: Holy grail preamp: most versatile?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search