The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
i'm more clear!!!! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th September 2006
Gear Maniac

i'm more clear!!!!

(sorry for weak english......)
after my confuse and lot of thread i did....
i pass of buying MCU from last thread.....
and i did a lot of search in many discuss point..........
i always can't decide between OTB and ITB
now i know i'm fit with OTB........
last night i try to re-mix my song again with 2 way......
1.OTB with tascam m600 board (which i was think it's not good enough board)
2.ITB in emagic logic
i started mix it equal time length (both way within 4 hours)
and absolutely i found i'm interact with sound of OTB better than ITB........
i can't say my OTB mix have great sound (it still harsh and not well balance)
but it better than ITB a lot......
the different not in sound quality but in coherent and relation of freq and vibe.....
i guess when i mix ITB with mouse i use my eyes and my brain more than ears and instinc.....
and in ITB i always do a lot of process since i can have many option to do (like adds comp c1 , urs ,vintagewarmer , etc with L2 on 2 buss)
but with OTB what i only have is just fader and on-board eq
so i guess with OTB i tend to be more focus and must try everyway to make things blend together............
i think in OTB is very faster to made it sound right than ITB because i'm not playing in my brain with what my eyes see
and i can use my hand ride fader and tweak knob to interact with things i found out when i listen to music with no screen fooling me (balancing , pan , eq)
so now i'm very impress about OTB
and devote myself for improve and growth my ability on OTB (i hope one day my mix won't harsh like they always)
and here's my question for this thread and want many help on opinion from you again........

these are my recent equipment :
TASCAM M600 24 channel
APOGEE ROSETTA AD48 * 1
FRONTIER TANGO * 2
TUBETECH MP-1A dual mic-pre
DISTRESSOR with brit mod (mono) *1
LA-4 silverface * 2
DBX 165a * 1
DBX 160x * 1
YAMAHA SPX 990 *1
ENSONIQ DP4 * 1

since i want to go OTB i wish i need to add some COMP-LIMIT in my arsenal
for 2 reason, insert individual instrument & 2 bus
i do a lot of search and found some of interest gear that appeal me

1.API 2500
2.ALAN SMART C2
3.PORTICO 5043
4.VARI-MU
5.PURPLE MC77
6.another 1 DISTRESSOR
7.FATSO

now i'm confuse of what to buy
i'm live in asia where no one gonna give me demo
so i have to all guessing what it sound like

here's my reference favourite record :

1.CARPENTER
2.STEVIE WONDER - inner visions
3.FEIST - let it die
4.BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE - you forgot it in people
5.MICHAEL JACKSON - off the wall
6.FLAMING LIPS - soft bulletin

i'm sure i'm not in rock, hard rock, metal ,not R&B ,not MODERN sound
maybe i'm in soul , indie rock , motown , cosmic rock

so with many choice of adding comp
please help me choose it out.........

i'm first very impress and fall in love with API2500 in looking at its interface
seems friendly and understandable to use
and i feel i got its vibe from just looking it from mercenary.com
but i've read many said that it's for rock
and i'm afraid it will too rock for my taste (when i think rock i think hard low edgy mid and as nature of my mix tend to be harsh so i'm scare it will add even more harsh and edgy to my mix)
FATSO seems to add things like vintage warmer do but with greater way (glue everything with vintage feel)
SMART C2 seems to add feel of r&b (i've use solnakris in crush mode and think it's ok)
PORTICO seems very mainstream sound (i guess AVERILL LAVIGNE)
vari-mu seems to be classic (glue with some kind of jazz feeling)
i pass STC-8 since i never like transparent

can anybody match all these gear with one of cd or song you think it will show what is sound like (example smart C2 : JAM michael jackson)

or maybe another choice is 2bus in ITB with L2 and vintage warmer
concept is to go extreme mixed by add purple or another distessor to handle each instrument / voice
and leave the 2 bus by softwear again...........

seems i really confuse again about this thread

but sad is i will never know which is absolutely fit my genre of music

cause i can't demo T_T

all i can is spend money then ship it from your country

so please consider my reference cd and give me advise in what next i should have

thank you for long time read........
thank you for all opinion and help.........
Old 19th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uylink View Post
since i want to go OTB i wish i need to add some COMP-LIMIT in my arsenal
for 2 reason, insert individual instrument & 2 bus
i do a lot of search and found some of interest gear that appeal me

1.API 2500
2.ALAN SMART C2
3.PORTICO 5043
4.VARI-MU
5.PURPLE MC77
6.another 1 DISTRESSOR
7.FATSO

now i'm confuse of what to buy
i'm live in asia where no one gonna give me demo
so i have to all guessing what it sound like

here's my reference favourite record :

1.CARPENTER
2.STEVIE WONDER - inner visions
3.FEIST - let it die
4.BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE - you forgot it in people
5.MICHAEL JACKSON - off the wall
6.FLAMING LIPS - soft bulletin
i like your taste in music! the Feist/Broken Social Scene/Flaming Lips records are three of my very favorite records.

i think you are asking the right kinds of questions and hopefully getting some answers. unfortunately i cannot tell you what compressor was used on the mix buss of these albums, but i can say this:

of the options you listed the

Smart Research C2
Manley VariMu

sound like the ones you might want to check out the most....

you didn't mention the Crane Song TRAKKER (a pair could be used on the mix buss) but it's a good choice as well.
you could use the TRAKKER for tracking (!) and also for the 2buss...

there are several good threads on this subject where you can find out more. i will help you look and post back with links to them.

DON'T BUY UNTIL YOU ARE SURE YOU ARE GOING TO BE HAPPY! there is always tomorrow to purchase; keep researching like you are doing now and you will be happier with what you get!!

Cheers,
J.D.
Old 19th September 2006
Lives for gear

here are a couple of recent threads:
one about compressor choice for the mix buss, one comparing the Purple Audio MC77 and the TRAKKER, and another one.... you may have already read them.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/86120-compressor-2buss-your-fave.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/81084-purple-mc77-trakker.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/59374-if-you-could-only-have-one-compressor.html
Old 19th September 2006
Gear Maniac

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

thank you J.D.
i'm so much appreciate of people here in GS
very kind and fun to stick with this site
thank you for help me and best to know you're love same music as me J.D.
Old 20th September 2006
Gear Maniac

anybody pleaseeee

anybody pleaseeeee!!!
at least please share what is API2500 sounds like...............(this is my primary curious)
and also c2 ,vari-mu ,fatso and another gear you know well...............
please........i'm waiting each day.........
Old 21st September 2006
Gear Guru

of the ones you've listed i'd go with the api, but if i were you my list would include the cranesong stc8 and the focusrite red3.

the albums you list tell me that you need a really versatile box, one that does moderate to extreme color on the warmer end of things, and that has the ability to be soft and round in its envelope or tight and punchy. the api is the only one on your list that can cover those bases imo.

the smart will give you a good michael jackson or flaming lips, but it will never give you the sweet tone of the carpenters or stevie wonder; the exact opposite is true of the vari-mu, very round tone and gluey action but not fast or sheeny enough for r'nb or slick pop. i've never used the portico or the fatso so i can't comment on them. a pair of mc77's is not something i'd patch in on a mix buss, they don't respond to complex signals the way a good mix comp does.

my only reservation about recommending the api to you is it's not idiotproof and could be a difficult first compressor to learn mix compression with. it's got a lot of controls which are subtle in their effect and it's easy to overdo it, 3db with the wrong settings can be way too much whereas 3db of almost anything on an stc8 will sound acceptable to most guys. but if you're up to the challenge, you'll never regret taking the time to learn the api, it's an amazing tool.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

its kinda hard to explain what everything sounds like. I don't know how to explain it...

Again, good taste in music.

The c2 is a nice mixbus comp... I like a drawmer 1968 on the mixbus personally.

I personally think 2 distressors is a must have.

My new favorite piece is an ehx ny-2a... It can add some crazy crazy distortion, and be really smooth. It has some fantastic, really quirky sounds as well as straight up electro optical smoothness.

I would also suggest a 2-1176 and an mc77... I like the 2-1176 on a bus, and the mc77 on vox or bass. Both are similar... Lots of color, really fast... The 1176 and the mc77 have alot of the same character and color, but there are some subtle differences.

I also like the chandler ltd2... To me it has a very airy sound... It's a really fun comp...

I also like aphex 661... I use it alot on vox... Very silent compressor, but can add some nice funkiness acroos the top of vocal tracks
Old 21st September 2006
Gear Maniac

big thanks to

UBIK & numrologst
i'm nearly will find my exit now!!!!
Old 23rd September 2006
Lives for gear

...uylink, will you let us know what you decide on purchasing?

keep us posted and let us know how you like your new compressor when you get it!!

Cheers,
J.D.
Old 23rd September 2006
Gear Maniac

ok.........i'll post it here when i got the compressor
maybe 2 months from now
i have to collect more coins
Old 24th September 2006
Gear Addict

Scientology can also help with getting you more clear.
Old 24th September 2006
Lives for gear

The drawmer 1968 might be the perfect solution for you. It has a combination of tube warmth with modern tightness. It will work over many types of music, the styles you mentioned included. No compressor will be perfect for every style, but the 1968 always sounds great when I put it across the bus so it's hard to go wrong with this. It is also very good for tracking. I find it to be one of those compressors that it's hard to make a mistake with -yes there might be something a little better for any given application, but this always seems to sound good.

The Fatso, in my opinion, is too colored to put on the 2 bus. It only worked once and this was with a horribly edgy thin song and I was using the minimal settings. It is great for tracking if you don't have tape, and has nice compression (like the distressor) but if you already have a distressor, don't by it.

Also maybe a Varimu because it will give you the glue and is very good at taking the edge off of mixes. It has an almost tape effect. However, it errs on the side of being round -the bottom for certain types of music would not be tight enough.
Old 24th September 2006
Hay

I have an API2500 .
This is a good compressor ,one of its best features is that it doesn't kill the mix whatever you do ,it always sounds round and can handle the low energy of a mix well .

I don't think its an RNB compressor ,It doesn't give you a hyped larger then life hi and lo ,but actually a smaller very manageable picture that sounds like a commercial CD ,Its hard to explain.

Hope i helped you

RH

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search