The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve VX/VXS Consoles
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear

Neve VX/VXS

There so little information on this console. where are the studios that have one to use? there are very little to find to even work on. what albums have been tracked or mixed on this board? does anyone even like these boards? i used one once and thought it sounded great, but i never hear anything about it. lets make this thread one at least, as the go to thread for the only shred of information on these rare beast. please every one share you experience with and on these boards and give us some history on it if any.
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear

Lindell had/has one, no?
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear

I think so. Not sure. I know he uses the 88rs now though
Old 9th August 2013
It's a great great desk. Had the VXS at studio bohus. Was the former Skywalker sound VXS. Upgraded preamps and stuff. Very cool to track on.

Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
It's a great great desk. Had the VXS at studio bohus. Was the former Skywalker sound VXS. Upgraded preamps and stuff. Very cool to track on.

May I ask you why did you change it for the 88R?
How do the two compare?
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Come on linnie tell us some more!
Old 9th August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
May I ask you why did you change it for the 88R?
How do the two compare?

Better switches, etc on the 88R. Less maintenance. Better headroom and resolution.
They sound very different if you ask me. 88R is more open and cleaner.
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Better switches, etc on the 88R. Less maintenance. Better headroom and resolution.
They sound very different if you ask me. 88R is more open and cleaner.
Thanks
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

Keep it coming
Old 11th August 2013
Lives for gear

VX came out around 1997 as an improved an updated VR series. At that point there were something like 350 VR or VRL series consoles sold. The VX had improved pres and a new color scheme which was black with color coded knobs for easier reference. It also had the TFT screen for the automation built into the bridge. The VXS was a surround version. I took all of this info from an article I googled. I skimmed through the User manual and it was really close to the VR manual. It retained much of the same features and setup including track bounce. The VX does have a direct to fader feature for the multitrack returns.

The question on my mind is did they make it cooler (temp wise) than the VR and VRLs?
Old 11th August 2013
Lives for gear

What's a "VRL?" VR-Legend? As far as I know, "Legend" status was mainly through the use of oxygen-free audio cabling (indicated with blue coating). No difference in topology. Still a capacitor farm.

Wondering if the VX has fewer caps...

Sent via iPhone/Tapasquawk
Old 11th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post
What's a "VRL?" VR-Legend? As far as I know, "Legend" status was mainly through the use of oxygen-free audio cabling (indicated with blue coating). No difference in topology. Still a capacitor farm.

Wondering if the VX has fewer caps...

Sent via iPhone/Tapasquawk
Yes I meant VR Legend and I was asking if the VX/VXS ran cooler than the VR/VRL. I suspect you hit the nail on the head there likely wasn't any less caps used. The VX was just a VR with a couple of updates and more extensive bussing. Hey it was the 90s everyone was fat and happy and no one minded extravegant power bills and upkeep. I didn't read anything saying that issue was even addressed. Of course with the 88R series there was a whole series of steps taken to reduce heat in the console.
Old 11th August 2013
I think the vx did something different with motherboard. Maybe all the paths from the patch bay to the modules where circuit traces in stead of wires. Check this out.
http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/ind...topic=10053.15
Old 11th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandbell View Post
I think the vx did something different with motherboard. Maybe all the paths from the patch bay to the modules where circuit traces in stead of wires. Check this out.
NEVE V3 and V series consoles
Yes I found an article that confirmed what you were saying

AMS Neve VX/VXS Review
Old 12th March 2019
i can say soon something about the console neve vx
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search