The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BLUE KIWI MIC, C800, or the C12 Condenser Microphones
Old 17th September 2006
BLUE KIWI MIC, C800, or the C12

which mic would be a great combo with which amp out of the api launch box pre the neve 1073 or the avalon. Kiwi, c800 or c12. think rnb please
Old 17th September 2006
Lives for gear

if this is a serious question and you are going to really drop 5K +..... then I would say for sure the 800g. There is no mic out there that is a better fit for the Avalon and for RnB music. The other mics are great to have around but if you want the bling factor and a great mic that is an industry standard then get the 800.
Old 17th September 2006
Lives for gear

to hell with a c800G
its not an EVERY artist mic.not for me at least. i used a c800G for about 8 months.. sounded great with some voices(thick voices)
those artist that have hi pitched voice or thin voices doen't sound to good on it..
its not a mic i'd get as my 1 and only mic....

i used it with a api7600 and chandler LTD-1

if your down to spend 5K... i'm sure tony will back me on this...
Peluso 22 251
Peluso 22 47 Limited
Peluso P12

those 3 mics will cost you under $4500
with a doubt i'd get both the 22 47 and 251
Old 18th September 2006
They are all great mic's, it just depends on what character you want. If you want a intimate silky sound that just sounds amazing, the Kiwi is the one I would get.
Old 18th September 2006
Lives for gear

Wow...I was gonna say any of them BUT the Kiwi--HA!

I only spent a weekend with it, though.
Old 18th September 2006
Lives for gear

the Kiwi is great IMO. it's also $4000 cheaper than the C800G. haven't demoed the Pelusos but they have a great reputation around here. others to consider: Lawson, Pearlman, Soundelux, Microtech Gefell, and the more expensive (than the Kiwi) Bottle which kicks some serious butt IMHO.......
Old 18th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic View Post
to hell with a c800G
its not an EVERY artist mic.not for me at least. i used a c800G for about 8 months.. sounded great with some voices(thick voices)
those artist that have hi pitched voice or thin voices doen't sound to good on it..
its not a mic i'd get as my 1 and only mic....

i used it with a api7600 and chandler LTD-1

if your down to spend 5K... i'm sure tony will back me on this...
Peluso 22 251
Peluso 22 47 Limited
Peluso P12

those 3 mics will cost you under $4500
with a doubt i'd get both the 22 47 and 251

Thats your problem... you used it with an api. I dont think we need Tony in here to back anyone or anything up but. I own all the Peluso mics and have bought them from tony. I even own the 2247LE with the anerican and one with the german tube. But the 800g is just plain and simple THE MIC for urban music with the Avalon. Does other stuff sound better? Probably, but the standard is that combo. You cant fight it no matter how hard you try at this point.
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

trust me the sound i got with api sh*t all over the avalon.... i've use 737's with c800g's before.. wasn't to impressed... same goes for the old "go to" combo.. the u87 and 737.... i don't care what tube i put in the 737.. it was never a pre i really cared for at all...
the api sounded great with the c800g. the chandler would put some beef on the thin voiced artist. i got to use a c800g with a Millennia STT-1...that should be the "GO TO" combo when using a c800g imo. best vocal sound i've ever had...
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

If you're having problems getting world-class vocals out of the 800/737 combo, then you're doing something wrong. The only thing better than that for crucial vocal work would be a 67/1176/1073. The Millenia is good, but to get the most out of it there's a whole lotta knob turning to be done. Better know what you're doing.

I produced/engineered a Latin artist on Universal a couple of years back, and got an incredible sound with the Kiwi -> 737. Besides the 2 capsules that sound good with the Bottle, the Kiwi is Blue's next best mic.
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
If you're having problems getting world-class vocals out of the 800/737 combo, then you're doing something wrong. The only thing better than that for crucial vocal work would be a 67/1176/1073. The Millenia is good, but to get the most out of it there's a whole lotta knob turning to be done. Better know what you're doing.

I produced/engineered a Latin artist on Universal a couple of years back, and got an incredible sound with the Kiwi -> 737. Besides the 2 capsules that sound good with the Bottle, the Kiwi is Blue's next best mic.
sorry homie, not doing anything wrong... the 737 is ok.. but far from world class as you say.
recording last night i used a peluso 2247Le though a 737(with babyface comp mod) to a ad16x into nuendo... sounded good... then tried the peluso though a pacifica > cransong trakker... huge difference...and guess which chain i choose to stick with
the millenia doen't need a bunch of knob turning to sound great. without anything engaged the millenia already sounds that much better than the 737...
Old 21st September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic View Post
the 737 is ok.. but far from world class as you say.
Well then, I guess all of us with chart topping credits and many years of experience are just wrong.
Old 22nd September 2006
Lives for gear

2022 vs 737.. no contest

is the 737 usable, yea.. is it a must have and world class no.
get outta here with that BS

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search