The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Langevin ELOP vs Manley ELOP Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

Langevin ELOP vs Manley ELOP

Has anybody directly compared the Langevin ELOP to the Manley? The product descriptions on Manley's web site seem to suggest that the only difference between them electronically is the Manley's tube make-up stage. Other than that, same opto sensor, etc. What's the diff sonically, anybody know?
Old 15th September 2006
The Manley has a little softer sound when clipped a little harder. I personally love it a little more than the LA2 A. The Langevin is just transparent and controls the transiants on vocals like no other unit I have heard. I love my Langevin DVC.
Old 16th September 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks much.

Looks like the DVC is a better deal than the Langevin ELOP, since you can plug directly into the DVC's limiter input if you like, giving you a pair of pre-amps for free.

Which would you put on bass?
Old 16th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwailoh View Post
Thanks much.

Looks like the DVC is a better deal than the Langevin ELOP, since you can plug directly into the DVC's limiter input if you like, giving you a pair of pre-amps for free.

Which would you put on bass?
The optic limiter in the LA2 A, Manley ELOPand Langevin limiter are best for vocals. I have not heard anything else out there (Pendulum has one too) that beats the optic limiter for that purpose. But for bass guitar which has faster transiants, my Focusrite Compounder works very well, and it has more flexibility over the Portico compressor. Other compressors for punchy bass is the 1176. However many compressors have different characters so it really depends on kind of bass playing and what sound your looking for. A Drawmer 1968 will give another sound that is great, as the Cranesong which is more transparent.
Old 16th September 2006
Lives for gear

Can't tell you about the Manley, but the Langevin is great on vocals. I tried it on some other stuff, but voices are where it really shines.
Also great before a 1176 to skim the peaks in a dual-comp setup.
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

I can answer my own question now, having had both units in for several days.

Not surprisingly, their sound is different, but subtly. The Manley is softer, and a slight shade darker. They're both very open and with small GR settings, 1-2db, the Langevin is basically invisible. Both seem to close up at more extreme GR settings, where I'm unlikely to ever use them. At 3db or less they're both very fine tracking compressors for vocals, bass, and acoustic guitar.

Which wins? To my ear, the Langevin is slightly more transparent and the Manley is slightly more dark. The Manley has a little bit of a "smokey" thing happening in the lower mids. It's kinda cool, but not what I want. I'm keeping the Langevin, and the Manley will probably go back.

FWIW, I especially like the Langevin on electric bass. To my ear, bass is perhaps the hardest thing to compress because it's so easy to kill the overtones which make bass exciting and beautiful. With -3db GR from the Langevin I'm able to track bass with extended bottom and still hear the whole spectrum. Yet the wave form in PT will show the limiting. Very nice.

Lastly, the Langevin DVC seems like a better deal than the Langevin ELOP standalone. Thanks Revelation for the heads up. They're basically the same price, but the DVC includes the pre-amps. Haven't made my mind up about them yet, but, why not?
Old 1st October 2006
Very cool, and thanks for your input. The Langevin DVC has not received as much attention as it deserves. I was going to get the Mindprint DVC but when I A/B the pre's, there was no question that the Langevin pre was superior. Here is a good review of the DVC. http://digitalprosound.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=19932
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

BTW I should note that I tested these units in tracking only. I don't use buss compression, and I did not test them as mix compressors.
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

I used to have a Langevin DVC. I usually liked it's preamps on dynamics a lot more than on condensers.

How is the ELOP diff. from the limiter in the DVC?

I never thought the Langevin preamps in the DVC had anything to do with *Langevin* preamps. Is this true?
Old 1st October 2006
Lives for gear

Man, almost NOBODY talks about the DVC.... I love mine more than my house!!
This is a sleeper that I only see mentioned once in a while. Its the perfect balance of light eq and limiter at that price range, bar none!

I was talking to Eveanna Manley last year, and we both saw 2 on ebay close for more than street price...say something?? Maybe not, but I have used it for acoustic guitar also, and its not bad at all. The Hardy is the go-to for that, but the Langevin is a nice mellower sound...The price is sick IMO
Old 2nd October 2006
Gear Maniac

Hey, a DEADLY combo for those harsh female vocals is the DVC and a Royer 121 backwards. I tell this to a lot of people, but I because the DVC is kind of in the ‘affordable’ category… no one seems to want to recognize or admit the great sound it has.

- AW
Old 2nd October 2006
I have owned both and still have the Manley.
I sold my DVC about 3 months ago.

Personally, I don't think these 2 compressors are anything alike.
The DVC cannot handle any real compression duties other than the lite control of vocals. I also got some decent results on acoustic gtr.. However, no more than a few db before it gets funky. Unlike the Manley. As far as the pres go, I liked them a lot. They need more gain and are quite noisy, but I liked them none the less. Good color.
The Elop on the other hand is quite the work horse for me. It SMOKES on vox!, and I have used it on almost every source I have ever encountered with some, if not great success. Buttery and delicious. And you can slam the hell out it. Lastly, I think it adds some kind of magic pixy dust to the mids. I don't know how to describe it. However, it has made it on many a track w/o compressing just for the yummy additives.

I was hoping exactly the opposite. I wanted 2 free pres and a replacement for the Manley. Oops!

Good luck.

BTW: buying a lesser piece, expecting it to be the more expensive piece NEVER WORKS! Buy what you want. Or wait till you can.

D
Old 5th October 2006
How would you compare the Manley ELOP to the UAD LA2 A? Not which one is better, but how different are their's colors?
Old 13th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Is the ELOP something nice to use on the mixbuss in your experience??
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Rockter View Post
Is the ELOP something nice to use on the mixbuss in your experience??
Not a fan of the ELOP on the mix buss here but it kills on bass (electric and acoustic), vox, acoustic gtrs.
Old 14th November 2011
Gear Addict

I have an ELOP and have had awesome results using it on BK vocals. Just great on that.
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear

I love my Manley ELOP. I have not had a chance to directly A/B the ELOP against an LA-2A but my general impression from using both is the Manley is faster and more transparent than an LA-2A. Both have great tone and do special things to the mids. I think the LA-2A is overpriced.
Old 14th November 2011
Gear Nut

^^ I feel the same way as Mikeka. I do not use it on the mix bus - it'll squash too hard, although for a very specific purpose it might work out. I think Fletcher alluded to an experience like that. But generally, no way, not meant to do 2 bus duties. For me it is absolutely indispensable on vocals. Also on bass! Today I used it for a synth/pad and it was amazing. Just a beautiful device. I got mine from a fellow slut a few years ago and I've been so happy since.

Considering what it does, and the fact that it's stereo, it's a great deal.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

The ELOP is amazing. Thats all I have to offer. Used on vox mostly, upright bass, guitar bus...beautiful! Wouldn't recommend it on a 2 bus but who knows maybe Itll work for you.
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

i never used them both side by side but i always remembered the dvc being "bright" and the elop "right". also i agree the dvc could only be used lightly.

Most importantly on the elop is the sidechain HPF. Worth the price of admission right there.
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmikeperkins View Post
... have not had a chance to directly A/B the ELOP against an LA-2A but my general impression from using both is the Manley is faster and more transparent than an LA-2A ...
I own both & would say the LA-2A is the transparent one where the ELOP is colored (darker).
Old 20th November 2011
Lives for gear

LA-2A's, especially the vintage ones, often sound different from one to the next, so it can make specific comparisons difficult and I need to be careful about making generalized statements. I have no doubt that you can find examples that are more transparent than an ELOP and some that are less.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search