The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High end nearfield test Studio Monitors
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

High end nearfield test

Hey guys!

I am trying to do a big test and review of several high end monitors in my studio.Barefoot mm27 gen1 and gen2, Pmc Aml2 , Twotwo, Geithain 944K1, Atc Smc25, Focal Sm9, Psi´s, Klein&Hummel and Neumann Kh310 among others are included.

Though some midfields will be brought in for comparison I will try to focus on speakers I can use in a near field position.
My plan is to try all of these magnificent speakers over a 3month period.

I will do subjective and objective tests to find out what to expect regarding differences in addition to my personal experience with them all.
I will also at the end buy the speaker that fits my room, my specifications and my needs!
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

bump
Old 10th July 2013
Lives for gear

I'm imagining a fairly crowded meter bridge...

I can't help you with Barefoots, but if you are within driving distance from Oslo, I can probably arrange for you to try PSI and/or Geithain, if you're interested in learning how those brands sound.
Old 10th July 2013
Im very interessed in the twotwo's bring it on!

/Jon
Old 10th July 2013
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovisjon View Post
Hey guys! Im trying to do a big test and review of several high end monitors in my studio including mm27, pmc aml2 , twotwo, atc smc25, focal sm9 and neumann kh310. Id like to get a hold of mm27 gen2 and mm12 but that is not posibble for the moment at my location.

I might get the mm27 gen2 in a month or so for a test so I will hold off the review until then.
As a mm27 owner for some years I would love to hear what the gen2 brings to the table. If there is any mm27 owners who have upgraded to gen2 I would love to hear your impressions :-)

Get some PSI's, and S4X for the test if you can.
Old 10th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Get some PSI's, and S4X for the test if you can.

+1!!!
the PSI are incredible! had the mm27, sm9 and smc25 here for testing and went with the PSI's.
Old 10th July 2013
Gear Head

O310.... Nearfield???
Old 10th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonwerker View Post
O310.... Nearfield???
Neumann KH 310A

no O, like Klein+Hummel O300.

R.
Old 10th July 2013
Quote:
Hey guys! Im trying to do a big test and review of several high end monitors in my studio including mm27, pmc aml2 , twotwo, atc smc25, focal sm9 and neumann kh310.
Great Idea

R.
Old 11th July 2013
Psi a17-m? (it's a must!)
Old 11th July 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
Neumann KH 310A

R.
yes - but this is by definition not a nearfield!
Old 11th July 2013
Gear Guru

Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I would add the Geithain RL906 to the listen list.

Review here.
Although a very nice speaker (have a set myself) I think they're not comparable (size wise) with the others no?

Nice review BTW!
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance View Post
Although a very nice speaker (have a set myself) I think they're not comparable (size wise) with the others no?
The guy has added ATC 25, MM27 and 0310 , obviously these are midfield monitors as well as being able to be used as nearfields. Once you add these , your pretty much opening up the world for midfields as well, and with that your opening up a big market of good monitors to check out.

So really the test is nearfield/midfield monitors.
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear
Ok, yes...the rl906 certainly is high end ....
Old 11th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance View Post

Nice review BTW!
The RL906 is a nearfield and the test was of nearfields.

The O300 and HK310 are really mid-fields - in which case add the Geithain RL944K or one of the others from the RL range

In fact, all Geithain monitors sound almost exactly the same except for bass extension on the larger units and that the "K" ones have a cardioid response and don't throw bass frequencies out of the back like other loudspeakers.

I found this to be true when I was comparing the small RL906 to the large RL901K and kept finding I could not tell which one was playing. It was only when I noticed the difference in the bass that I realised which was which.
Old 15th July 2013
Gear Nut

However the O300 seems to be categorized as a midfield monitor on some retail websites, i would actually place it in the near-field category.

Anyway, don't let it out on that reason.

KH310 seems interesting too
Old 16th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Neumann KH 310A

R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonwerker View Post
yes - but this is by definition not a nearfield!
Copying verbatim from the Neumann website:

"The KH 310 is designed for use as a near-field monitor,..."
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!

Regarding the definition of nearfields I think that line has been " greyed out" over the years. Still none of these monitors are defined as pure midfields though some of them can be used in such a configuration.

Im still waiting for the KH310 and the new Barefoot mm27 gen2. So far I have been testing Pmc AML2 and twotwo, Barefoot mm27 (gen1) and ATCsmc25 . I have been listening to my reference material and other material/mixes with known flaws etc in addition to some mixing and mastering work in pro tools for about two weeks. I also measured the frequency, phase and impulserespons on all speakers in the same position.

If I had to choose right now the choice would be AML2. Im coming back to all the details when I have heard more speakers but aml2 is just an amazing (almost fullrange) tool in a very compact size. The piston driver measures fairly flat respons down to 30 hz compared to the atc scm25 that drops 10db from 60 to 50 hz and measures nothing at all under 50hz. Stay tuned
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllet View Post
Psi a17-m? (it's a must!)
Il try to get a pair of PSI also.. Iv had no experience with them in the past so its about time I should give them a go. Always trusted the swiss ´ss. (no wonder they had to make a good de´esser )
Old 21st July 2013
Quote:
Im coming back to all the details when I have heard more speakers
Thank you very much for the moment!

I'm curious about the Neumann KH 310A.

Have a good time on the listening test....

R.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

No Grimm audio LS1's?
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Il try to get a pair of PSI also.. Iv had no experience with them in the past so its about time I should give them a go. Always trusted the swiss ´ss. (no wonder they had to make a good de´esser )
If you do, get the A21M, thats what I use. Incredible monitors for nearfield use (can be used for midfield too). I think the A25M however wouldn't work for nearfield. Well I say that, I once asked Marc @ PSI what the minimum listening distance would be to the A25M and he said 1.5m, so if you're sitting that far away or more then it might work.

I use my A21M in a very tight space, just 1m distance between my head and the monitors, yet the sound is still super solid focused, with not a hint of phaseyness or crossover whatsoever. Soundstage projected by the PSI might not be as big as some of the other brands, but the listening sweet spot is massive. Move your head around the sound stays focused.
Old 21st July 2013
Quote:
Got the 17's now, they are simply amazing!

/Jon
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjelmevold View Post
I'm imagining a fairly crowded meter bridge...

I can't help you with Barefoots, but if you are within driving distance from Oslo, I can probably arrange for you to try PSI and/or Geithain, if you're interested in learning how those brands sound.
Thanks mate! I can probably get the psi from prolyd. Do you import Geithain? I might pick them up when Im in town ?
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
If you do, get the A21M, thats what I use. Incredible monitors for nearfield use (can be used for midfield too). I think the A25M however wouldn't work for nearfield. Well I say that, I once asked Marc @ PSI what the minimum listening distance would be to the A25M and he said 1.5m, so if you're sitting that far away or more then it might work.

I use my A21M in a very tight space, just 1m distance between my head and the monitors, yet the sound is still super solid focused, with not a hint of phaseyness or crossover whatsoever. Soundstage projected by the PSI might not be as big as some of the other brands, but the listening sweet spot is massive. Move your head around the sound stays focused.
Exiting! I think the a21m is the psi speaker I like to include. The importer has a pair in stock and Im waiting for the "go" to pick them up.
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

R.
Thanks mate ! My hope is that people can get a little closer to their answer regarding the choice of high end monitors and what to expect at these price points.
I have been training my ears for 20years and promise to be brutally honest in this review.
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

The very helpful norwegian Psi distributor (Prolyd )suggested me to include the Psi A25 as well because of the 3 way design. I would think this monitor requires a distant of 1.5m or more so that will probably put it in the "pure" midfield category.
Im trying to aim at monitors that can be used as near fields but will consider to expanding the review. Many of the monitors claims to work in a midfield configuration too so I guess this make sense .

I having a very good time doing this review and cant help to still be exited every time a new box gets delivered at my door after all these years..haha.
Old 23rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
No Grimm audio LS1's?
Ahh. The allmighty Grimm LS1. I have actually mailed the office in Netherlands and are waiting for the answer. I have never heard it but the design puts a big smile on my face. Just gorgeous !!
Old 23rd July 2013
Geariophile

+1 for including the PSI A21m's. Would be interesting to hear your take on them. I know what I think..... ;-)

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search