The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High end nearfield test
Old 24th May 2015
  #2911
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
hey david, are the sub systems actually available yet? pricing? thanks
I would like to know as well. The set up seems interesting.
Old 24th May 2015
  #2912
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
It seems the two15 with base could be the perfect combo.

On a separate note..

You really should try to get the Boulder mk2 in there. Have you looked into it? Ask Kevlar.

Then do Focal Trio6 and ATC SCM45
That would be so nice... :-)
Old 24th May 2015
  #2913
Lives for gear
 
Audiovisjon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
hey david, are the sub systems actually available yet? pricing? thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
It seems the two15 with base could be the perfect combo.

On a separate note..

You really should try to get the Boulder mk2 in there. Have you looked into it? Ask Kevlar.

Then do Focal Trio6 and ATC SCM45
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
I would like to know as well. The set up seems interesting.
The one I have in the studio is the prototype. They are planning to have them ready for delivery in august. Price is not final yet but I was told to expect about 5000 euros ex.vat for the entire system that includes two BaseOne25 and one Amp500/crossover. In Norway that would mean that an entire system with Two18 and Base One25 subs will match the price of one pair of Pmc Aml2 , Barefoots or Geithain Rl944. That is pretty amazing considering the unrivaled performance you get from these beauties.

The system is utterly awesome. I have never heard sub extension so seamlessly integrated with the speakers before. It is a pure joy to work with and you do not have the normal feeling of working with a separate sub. Once again I am exited !
Attached Thumbnails
High end nearfield test-fundament-two18-1.jpg  

Last edited by Audiovisjon; 24th May 2015 at 07:52 PM..
Old 24th May 2015
  #2914
Lives for gear
 
JSilver's Avatar
 

I know it sounds obvious but how does it feel compared to the Geithain's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovisjon View Post
The one I have in the studio is the prototype. They are planning to have them ready for delivery in august. Price is not final yet but I was told to expect about 5000 euros ex.vat for the entire system that includes two BaseOne25 and one Amp500/crossover. In Norway that would mean that an entire system with Two18 and Base One25 subs will match the price of one pair of Pmc Aml2 , Barefoots or Geithain Rl944. That is pretty amazing considering the unrivaled performance you get from these beauties.

The system is utterly awesome. I have never heard sub extension so seamlessly integrated with the speakers before. It is a pure joy to work with and you do not have the normal feeling of working with a separate sub. Once again I am exited !
Old 24th May 2015
  #2915
Lives for gear
 
Hjelmevold's Avatar
What would interest me with the BaseOne25+Two18, is how the sub integration behaves - compared to the MM27 that Audiovisjon had earlier, where the lowest drivers are crossed over at 80Hz if I remember correctly.
Old 25th May 2015
  #2916
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovisjon View Post
The one I have in the studio is the prototype. They are planning to have them ready for delivery in august. Price is not final yet but I was told to expect about 5000 euros ex.vat for the entire system that includes two BaseOne25 and one Amp500/crossover. In Norway that would mean that an entire system with Two18 and Base One25 subs will match the price of one pair of Pmc Aml2 , Barefoots or Geithain Rl944. That is pretty amazing considering the unrivaled performance you get from these beauties.

The system is utterly awesome. I have never heard sub extension so seamlessly integrated with the speakers before. It is a pure joy to work with and you do not have the normal feeling of working with a separate sub. Once again I am exited !
great thanks for the details man :-)

so the subs have to be kept in that "stand" position in order to properly work with the satellites? or does it have variable phase in case you don't want them in that position? how flexible is the system exactly?
Old 25th May 2015
  #2917
Lives for gear
 
Audiovisjon's Avatar
Amphion Base One25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
I know it sounds obvious but how does it feel compared to the Geithain's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjelmevold View Post
What would interest me with the BaseOne25+Two18, is how the sub integration behaves - compared to the MM27 that Audiovisjon had earlier, where the lowest drivers are crossed over at 80Hz if I remember correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
great thanks for the details man :-)

so the subs have to be kept in that "stand" position in order to properly work with the satellites? or does it have variable phase in case you don't want them in that position? how flexible is the system exactly?

Silver: The Geithain´s linearity starts and ends at much longer distances compared to the Two18. Meaning they are designed as a main speaker with longer listening distance compared to a near field.The Amphion system feels more natural on short distances and the Geithains feel more natural on longer distances. However.. When A/B testing the two systems side by side the Amphion´s are really holding their ground. At shorter distances they can easily fill the need I might have for a second main-speaker.

Hjelmevold: The systems crossover is 100hz. The amp drives two single 10inch drivers in conjunction with two passive 10 inch radiators. Closed box!

Transcending: Do not think of this as a standard sub with the flexibility of placing it where you want and messing with the crossover, phase and so on. It does not feel or sound like a sub at all. Meaning the integration is so seamlessly it feels like a bigger speaker with the flexibility of adjusting your bass response as you please.
It is designed as a frequency and headroom extension to your existing system and needs to be placed right under the near fields to keep the integration at its best.

However.. The system is passive and you can definitely use it like a standard sub with your own amp/crossover and variable phase if that makes sense to your setup. In that case it would be just as flexible as any sub but also complicate the setup and probably introduce the normal problems with sub integration we all encounter. On the prototype the crossover is fixed at 100hz with no variable phase control. You adjust the sub volume at the amp/crossover and compensate for any room- issues or speaker sensitivity differences that way. The setup is as uncomplicated it can possible be and your up and running in 5 minutes. I have tested the system with 3 different speakers and the integration was nothing short of stunning.
Attached Thumbnails
High end nearfield test-fundament-one18-screen.jpg  

Last edited by Audiovisjon; 25th May 2015 at 07:15 AM..
Old 25th May 2015
  #2918
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
As the one who had been using Geithain 901k for a long time, maybe few reflections: these (and all the other 3 ways Geithain monitors) are very impressively sounding speakers with big sound and big bass. The only thing is that they tend to have a bit exaggerated highs (I would even use the term "slightly sharp") and the bass (although "directional") sounds very good and big most of the time I was very happy with them (and whoever heard them was amazed), but these things became more and more obvious to me in the course of time, so I started to look for more "natural" sounding monitors ...
Old 25th May 2015
  #2919
Lives for gear
 
Audiovisjon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
As the one who had been using Geithain 901k for a long time, maybe few reflections: these (and all the other 3 ways Geithain monitors) are very impressively sounding speakers with big sound and big bass. The only thing is that they tend to have a bit exaggerated highs (I would even use the term "slightly sharp") and the bass (although "directional") sounds very good and big most of the time I was very happy with them (and whoever heard them was amazed), but these things became more and more obvious to me in the course of time, so I started to look for more "natural" sounding monitors ...

Hi Ivo!

Nice to hear from you!

Your description comes as a big surprise to me as my experience is quite the "opposite". I can't think of any monitor that sounds as natural as the Geithains. To me bright or excaggerated highs is only present when the production is mixed that way. The Amphions are also perfect companions to reveal this kind of micro details. I just attended a mastering test for a label that sent the same production to eight different mastering facilities. They reported back that they picked my master 8 out of 8 times in blind tests which of course made me proud..haha. I used Geithain RL801 and Amphion Two18 for the job. The one thing that surprised me was that my master was pushed to about -12 LUFS/Rms and most others seemed to push it to -8 Lufs and even -7. I was pretty certain the volume difference would cause my master to loose in the blind test but it did not. With both Geithain and Amphions the rms levels are very apparent. When to push and when to stop. I rearly find any productions beyond -10 Lufs to sound balanced and I am glad that others can appreciate engineers that keeps their integrity by stopping when the song still sounds right. Though I always try to make the customer happy I am leaning towards saying NO to achieving these crazy levels from now on.

But this is the interesting part of our job. We interact very differently with the gear in hand and experience sound and the direction they push our productions in different ways. Please report back when you have found what you are looking for. I would love to hear your experience. The best of luck to you and your search for the perfect monitor !
Old 25th May 2015
  #2920
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
I think it quite depends on the purpose of use ... Since the major part of my own work is recording and mixing music consisting of delicate acoustic instruments, my concern is to hear them as much natural as possible (considering that my recording chain is almost perfect While Geithains sound undoubtedly great, in that regard I had always some uncertain feelings when recording the instruments in my room and listening to the results - why it always sounds slightly sharper than in reality ? Something wrong with my preamps, mics etc ?

One day I got small Quested S7R to try ... and suddenly (to my surprise) I heard the things almost as they sounded in my room on them, very natural ... (and the difference between them and Geithains became quite obvious). That set a new chapter in my monitoring considerations ...
Old 25th May 2015
  #2921
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Audiovision, which three speakers did you try the Base25 system with? Obviously two18's, but which other two?
Old 25th May 2015
  #2922
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
Regarding Base 25 & Two18 - as mentioned in the other thread, I just had the opportunity to listen to them in my studio for 2 days ... Truly impressive setup, the sound is just awesome. But since I am not used to working with subwoofers, I am not sure how I would quickly judge if or not there is too much or too little bass

Old 25th May 2015
  #2923
Lives for gear
 
Audiovisjon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
I think it quite depends on the purpose of use ... Since the major part of my own work is recording and mixing music consisting of delicate acoustic instruments, my concern is to hear them as much natural as possible (considering that my recording chain is almost perfect While Geithains sound undoubtedly great, in that regard I had always some uncertain feelings when recording the instruments in my room and listening to the results - why it always sounds slightly sharper than in reality ? Something wrong with my preamps, mics etc ?

One day I got small Quested S7R to try ... and suddenly (to my surprise) I heard the things almost as they sounded in my room on them, very natural ... (and the difference between them and Geithains became quite obvious). That set a new chapter in my monitoring considerations ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Regarding Base 25 & Two18 - as mentioned in the other thread, I just had the opportunity to listen to them in my studio for 2 days ... Truly impressive setup, the sound is just awesome. But since I am not used to working with subwoofers, I am not sure how I would quickly judge if or not there is too much or too little bass

Absolutely! I have worked many years with the quested 3208 and the 2108. I liked them a lot. And..yeah.. Having linearity down to 25hz needs some time to sink in.. When it does its hard to do without . Enjoy !
Old 25th May 2015
  #2924
Lives for gear
 
Audiovisjon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Audiovision, which three speakers did you try the Base25 system with? Obviously two18's, but which other two?
Amphion Two18 , One18 and Yamaha NS-10 .
Old 25th May 2015
  #2925
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovisjon View Post
Amphion Two18 , One18 and Yamaha NS-10 .
Wow, nS10's......interesting.
Old 25th May 2015
  #2926
Gear Maniac
 
Oskari J.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovisjon View Post
Amphion Two18 , One18 and Yamaha NS-10 .
Would you mind dropping a couple words about subs + One18? Or is it pretty much the same story as with the Two18's?


/Oskari
Old 25th May 2015
  #2927
Lives for gear
 
Audiovisjon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskari J. View Post
Would you mind dropping a couple words about subs + One18? Or is it pretty much the same story as with the Two18's?


/Oskari
To me the integration was stunning on both of them. The differences between the One18 and Two18 gets smaller with the subsystem. You can still hear the Two18 to be the flagship but the Base One25 do close some of the gap between the two.

The most impressive thing was the immediate feel of upgrading the focus and phantom center on the near fields with the system engaged. We tested this over and over again. The center gets stronger and more focused in a frequency range far beyond the sub system. To be perfectly honest I can't really explain this. My best guess would be to lean towards the psychoacoustic side of things and the way our brain is interpretation the stereo field with better and deeper balance in the bass from left to right. I have not heard anything like this with a single sub system and really felt this aspect upgraded the satellite speakers as well. Even the NS-10´s got much better focus. The harshness, lower resolution and familiar qualities of this speaker was however well preserved..

With this experience I can not see any problems with using the speaker of your choice with this system, even if Amphion near fields doesen´t do it for you.
Attached Thumbnails
High end nearfield test-amphion-base-one25-ns-10.jpg  

Last edited by Audiovisjon; 25th May 2015 at 01:10 PM..
Old 25th May 2015
  #2928
Lives for gear
 
Lupez's Avatar
The One18 - Base25 could prove to be the perfect mix and master combo for the average room like mine.
Also, the estimated price of the Base25 package is exactly what I was expecting...unfortunately!
I really would like to hear them next to my 801s - NS10 combo.
Old 25th May 2015
  #2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovisjon View Post
Price is not final yet but I was told to expect about 5000 euros ex.vat for the entire system that includes two BaseOne25 and one Amp500/crossover. In Norway that would mean that an entire system with Two18 and Base One25 subs will match the price of one pair of Pmc Aml2 , Barefoots or Geithain Rl944. That is pretty amazing considering the unrivaled performance you get from these beauties.
Are you adding in the price of the amp for the two18's?
In the U.S, that total system price comes in slightly over $13,000
Where the Barefoot 27's and PMC Aml2's come in sightly over $10K
Old 25th May 2015
  #2930
Lives for gear
 
Audiovisjon's Avatar
Amphion Base One25 price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Are you adding in the price of the amp for the two18's?
In the U.S, that total system price comes in slightly over $13,000
Where the Barefoot 27's and PMC Aml2's come in sightly over $10K
Your right. It is a little higher. If you add the biggest amp500 and we expect the sub system to cost 5000 euros the entire system will cost 11960 euros. In Norway the AML2 or Barefoot MM27 cost 10.500 euros. So pretty "close". If you buy the subsystem with the One18 and amp100 your looking at 8780 euros if I am not mistaken. Thats not to shabby but lets not speculate to much before they decide the final price.
Old 25th May 2015
  #2931
Gear Maniac
is there a way to switch in and out of the base 25?
thanks
Dave
Old 25th May 2015
  #2932
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
Oh yes, very easy ... just switching off that amplifier. I was doing it all time
Old 25th May 2015
  #2933
Lives for gear
 
Audiovisjon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
is there a way to switch in and out of the base 25?
thanks
Dave
Yeah.. Amphion told me they will deliver the system with a footswitch that bypasses the entire circuit included the crossover. The prototype had only a bypass switch on the unit.

Last edited by Audiovisjon; 25th May 2015 at 05:02 PM..
Old 1st June 2015
  #2934
Here for the gear
 
Tone Ranger's Avatar
 

Very curious to hear more about the BaseOne25s as you test them. Would also love to hear from anyone who might have a chance to test them in an untreated room. I know the Amphion speakers were reported to handle untreated environments very well, curious how well the subs will work in that kind of situation?
Old 1st June 2015
  #2935
Lives for gear
 

Yes - any updates on the BaseOne25 system? The suspense is killing me
Old 3rd June 2015
  #2936
Lives for gear
 
Audiovisjon's Avatar
Thanks guys!

I am just swamped with work at the moment but will get back to you shortly. Stay tuned !
Old 4th June 2015
  #2937
Lives for gear
 
Kimotei's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
Very curious to hear more about the BaseOne25s as you test them. Would also love to hear from anyone who might have a chance to test them in an untreated room. I know the Amphion speakers were reported to handle untreated environments very well, curious how well the subs will work in that kind of situation?
I dont know about the subs, but ive been working for a while with One18's in a half treated room, about 20 standard 20cm x60cm x 120cm thick DIY panels, and thick corner traps floor to ceilling in all 4 corners +a small cloud made of two DIY pannels, in a concrete room L8m x W3.1m xH2.8m, and I have absolutely no controll from 80Hz down. I can move an eq at 70Hz up or down several db without hearing any difference at all.. A speaker cant defy the laws of physics.

Compared to Scandinavian wooden rooms and now working in south European concret rooms for almost 2 years I feel in my experience there is a big difference in acoustic behavior, wood obviouly being better, unless of cource the concrete/brickwall/stone etc is treated 100%. A scandinavian wood house wall is typically a sandwich of wood-rockwool-wood, or plasterboard-rockwool-wood. Basicly those walls works a bit like huge accoustic pannels.
Old 12th June 2015
  #2938
Lives for gear
 

Any updates? I'm getting antsy!
Old 12th June 2015
  #2939
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc View Post
Any updates? I'm getting antsy!
Its going to be VERY expensive.
Old 12th June 2015
  #2940
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovisjon View Post
Hjelmevold: The systems crossover is 100hz. The amp drives two single 10inch drivers in conjunction with two passive 10 inch radiators. Closed box!
Just caught my eye. Not having a hole in the enclosure does not mean they are "closed box". They are bass reflex. Just that the air in the reflex tubes is replaced by the passive radiator cones.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump