The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High end nearfield test Studio Monitors
Old 7th September 2014
  #2371
Gear Maniac
 
Bilou's Avatar
 

I tried the E8B (but didn't use) a while now.
I remembered they sounded very harsh and fatiguing, but with good low end. I'll prefer an OPAL in this range. Softer in the highs.
Old 7th September 2014
  #2372
I wonder what is behind all the multiple postings recently.
(I think I may have found out in posting this comment - the Gearslutz server is acting really slow right now, so it takes so long to react that the assumption is that the post button has to be hit again.)
Old 7th September 2014
  #2373
Here for the gear
 
theophile's Avatar
 

I use the E8Bs every day. They are accomplished chameleons. The only sound like what is being fed into them. They don't mask, hide, compensate, cover or soften anything at all. If the signal has deficiencies they accurately present them as they are. This their strength and their downfall. Their strength in practice, because that is what a monitor should achieve: the ability to accurately make one aware of the true nature of what is taking place. Their downfall because suddenly all of the upstream equipment is also exposed for what it is.

The messenger gets shot because he tells the truth about the message that he is being made to convey.

So, the mark of a lesser monitor is that it "sounds good', even when it shouldn't. The mark of a great monitor, is that it only sounds like what is being fed into it.

The KRK Expose E8B is one of the best active speakers ever made.
Old 8th September 2014
  #2374
Gear Maniac
 
Bilou's Avatar
 

Seems like your using it in a Hifi setup, and not for tracking or mixing ?
If so, I believe these are really good speakers for this task. For someone who work 8h a day, I found them fatiguing.

That might sound negative, but I felt these speakers were made for crazy hiphop producers, listening at 110dB and having lost high frequencies of their ear... (Might sound perfect in this case...).

Just how I remember it. Also, room was not perfect for the test.
Old 8th September 2014
  #2375
Here for the gear
 
theophile's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilou View Post
Seems like your using it in a Hifi setup, and not for tracking or mixing ?
If so, I believe these are really good speakers for this task. For someone who work 8h a day, I found them fatiguing.

That might sound negative, but I felt these speakers were made for crazy hiphop producers, listening at 110dB and having lost high frequencies of their ear... (Might sound perfect in this case...).

Just how I remember it. Also, room was not perfect for the test.
You've already said that you like the Opals because they soften the treble. The Exposes don't soften anything. I assume that is why they don't suit you.

The Exposes live up to their name, they expose. If one doesn't like what they expose, one needs to look at that which they are exposing. They are excellent at that. I promise you they are the most anonymous speakers I have ever heard. They are the most revealing speakers I have ever heard. The put a big spotlight on everything that feeds into them. That can impact entirely negatively on what they convey. A truthful messenger can only pass on they which they have been given. The KRKs are extraordinarily honest. They are a wonderful tool and extraordinarily fulfilling when the feed is extraordinary. They can sound like anything they are fed.
Old 8th September 2014
  #2376
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 

I've always found the expose 8s to be quite funky across the midband - recordings which I KNOW sound great somehow sound consistently phase-y or cluttered (not quite sure how to explain it). These are recordings I have heard in some pretty spectacular mastering rooms too...

I've not actually tried working on the KRKs though so they could still be a useful mixing tool...
Old 8th September 2014
  #2377
Here for the gear
 
theophile's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
I've always found the expose 8s to be quite funky across the midband - recordings which I KNOW sound great somehow sound consistently phase-y or cluttered (not quite sure how to explain it). These are recordings I have heard in some pretty spectacular mastering rooms too...

I've not actually tried working on the KRKs though so they could still be a useful mixing tool...
The 8 or the 8B?
Old 8th September 2014
  #2378
Lives for gear
 
JamesClark1991's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by theophile View Post
I use the E8Bs every day. They are accomplished chameleons. The only sound like what is being fed into them. They don't mask, hide, compensate, cover or soften anything at all. If the signal has deficiencies they accurately present them as they are. This their strength and their downfall. Their strength in practice, because that is what a monitor should achieve: the ability to accurately make one aware of the true nature of what is taking place. Their downfall because suddenly all of the upstream equipment is also exposed for what it is.

The messenger gets shot because he tells the truth about the message that he is being made to convey.

So, the mark of a lesser monitor is that it "sounds good', even when it shouldn't. The mark of a great monitor, is that it only sounds like what is being fed into it.

The KRK Expose E8B is one of the best active speakers ever made.
Thanks for the reviews guys! Out of curiosity Theophile what other speakers have you listened to in the past that you can compare the E8Bs to? (if you've upgraded from Behringer monitors anything will sound amazing if you see what I'm getting at )

The thing that is weirding me out about the E8Bs is the fact they're been around since 2007ish and I've not seen them about many places. There's a lack of online opinions on them considering the brand name (and when compared to other studio monitors), maybe the price is killing sales in their tracks? who knows....
Old 8th September 2014
  #2379
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophile View Post
The 8 or the 8B?
Both, and although quite different in some respects, they both seem to have some weird stuff going on in the midrange.

Just my 2c though. If you love them and get great mixes then that's all that matters to you...
Old 8th September 2014
  #2380
Here for the gear
 
theophile's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
Thanks for the reviews guys! Out of curiosity Theophile what other speakers have you listened to in the past that you can compare the E8Bs to? (if you've upgraded from Behringer monitors anything will sound amazing if you see what I'm getting at )

The thing that is weirding me out about the E8Bs is the fact they're been around since 2007ish and I've not seen them about many places. There's a lack of online opinions on them considering the brand name (and when compared to other studio monitors), maybe the price is killing sales in their tracks? who knows....
Over the last 35 years?

Stacked Accoustat IIIs, Martin Logan CLS, Kef 104abs, Magneplanars, Appogee Calipers, Infinity IRS1Bs, Duntech, WAR Audio, JBL 5000Tis, Celestion SL 600, Meridian M30s, ProAc Response 2s, Harbeth P3s, Rogers Studio, Linn Isobarik, Linn Sara, RTR Electrostatic hybrids, Yamaha 1000Ms, Lambert speakers, Mission 770s, B&W 802Ds, JM Lab Alto Utopia Bes, Many more at shows but I discount those auditions because the rooms are too small.

Great systems to go with the speakers also.
Old 8th September 2014
  #2381
Here for the gear
 
theophile's Avatar
 

Please understand anyone who is hearing something from the Expose E8B speakers that is found to be objectionable, I'm not saying that you aren't hearing it, what I'm saying is that they are the most revealing, system chain dependent speakers I've ever used. The change in the character of their sound with upstream changes seems to me to be dramatic. This can be very frustrating, but the honesty allows great insight into the contribution of the upstream changes.

I can fully appreciate someone not liking what they hear with these speakers.
Old 10th September 2014
  #2382
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovisjon View Post
During the test in the living rooms,cars etc the result was quite different. The information was almost exclusively different on the same song from place to place. In one room two songs could sound pretty identical in the bass region while in another room one of the songs sounded to boosted in the low end.
Hey David,

First of all much respect for this great thread and all the effort that you’re putting on this gigantic monitor test! The information is simply amazing and invaluable for countless users around the globe!
I was somewhere in the middle of this thread when I reached your birthday post…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovisjon View Post
I know this is off topic but I just wanted to share.. You really know you are a sound engineer when the wife comes in the door with a Shadow Hills Compressor Birthday Cake.... Amazing !! Hope it sounds good..
…and I saw the 8030’s in your picture.

I really don’t want to hijack your thread as it’s covering only high end speakers, so I’m kindly asking if it’s possible to give me your opinion about these speakers? I was a long time a Genelec 1030 user (a very happy one) but some months ago I’ve upgraded to 8040’s and my life is a nightmare since then. 1030’s were translating almost perfectly in many systems that I tested my music, including mm27 (gen1), focal sm9, and various car systems, bars, clubs. With 8040s I’m feeling that I’m playing in the "guess the translation" game. I’m really very dissatisfied with them. I’ll value very much your opinion as you have already tested the cream of the cream on louspeakers.

Many thanks !
Old 11th September 2014
  #2383
Lives for gear
 
Audiovisjon's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Genelec 8030

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bit View Post
Hey David,

First of all much respect for this great thread and all the effort that you’re putting on this gigantic monitor test! The information is simply amazing and invaluable for countless users around the globe!
I was somewhere in the middle of this thread when I reached your birthday post…


…and I saw the 8030’s in your picture.

I really don’t want to hijack your thread as it’s covering only high end speakers, so I’m kindly asking if it’s possible to give me your opinion about these speakers? I was a long time a Genelec 1030 user (a very happy one) but some months ago I’ve upgraded to 8040’s and my life is a nightmare since then. 1030’s were translating almost perfectly in many systems that I tested my music, including mm27 (gen1), focal sm9, and various car systems, bars, clubs. With 8040s I’m feeling that I’m playing in the guess the translation game. I’m really very dissatisfied with them. I’ll value very much your opinion as you have already tested the cream of the cream on louspeakers.

Many thanks !


Ahh.. The legendary birthday cake...

Regarding the 8030 setup in my living room. I do some tv commercials and sound to moving picture from time to time and like to have some kind of reference in front of my tv to follow up on my work vs others.

The shape of my living room causes some unwanted resonances and bass buildups. The size ,softness and bass compensation feature of the 8030 made these problems less pronounced from a listeners point of view. The translation from the Genelec 8030 in this room is very pleasant and lets me hear the differences in tv-productions in a way I find non analytic but still pretty useful. I mean I can easily hear productions being unbalanced and get an overall picture of wrongness but not even close to the point I do with higher end speakers like the ones in this test.

For this purpose I still use them and was very happy with the purchase. If you ask me if I would use them for critical mixing work my answer would be no.

Hope that helps !
Old 12th September 2014
  #2384
Any new thoughts on the Amphions?
Old 12th September 2014
  #2385
Lives for gear
 
Audiovisjon's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Amphion update

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 View Post
Any new thoughts on the Amphions?
It is a big Amphion show in Helsinki this week. I think most of the Amphion crew is attending. I hope to have the new amps and at least a pair of One18 for review the week after. Should be fun!
Old 12th September 2014
  #2386
Gear Maniac
looking forward to your review of the one18!!!!!!!
Old 12th September 2014
  #2387
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
Thanks for the reviews guys! Out of curiosity Theophile what other speakers have you listened to in the past that you can compare the E8Bs to? (if you've upgraded from Behringer monitors anything will sound amazing if you see what I'm getting at )

The thing that is weirding me out about the E8Bs is the fact they're been around since 2007ish and I've not seen them about many places. There's a lack of online opinions on them considering the brand name (and when compared to other studio monitors), maybe the price is killing sales in their tracks? who knows....
I've been using them for about 5 years now.. Got a bit of a love/hate relationship with them. That tweeter is really "good" in that it actually hurts my ears if there are clock/samplerate problems in my setup. Took me some time to figure out that the BLA microclock for instance was the cause of my earfatigue (hope it didn't ruin my ears too much)
I figured that tweeter must be extremely fast to accomplish this.

The good thing is that you can mix really precise on them. if I'm happy with the mix it normally sounds good everywhere. Only the low end could be better. You really need a sub with these IMO.

I do have to admit that I only mix on 8040s besides these on a regular basis so I don't have that much to compare them with. I'm also not sure how they compare to other speakers in this price range as I never heard them side by side. I do know that I compared them to the Focal Twins and that I found the twins even more fatiguing. I liked the E8bs better.
I still have to compare them to the SM9s someday, maybe those are the best of all worlds in that pricerange for me. Not sure yet.

Anyway. I'm connecting my Madison tomorrow. I wonder if that makes any difference to the sound of these speakers compared to my old creamware converters I'm finally ditching
Old 13th September 2014
  #2388
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
looking forward to your review of the one18!!!!!!!
My little Amphion one18 review is here
Amphion... Beautiful

Really amazing speakers even for mastering.
Old 13th September 2014
  #2389
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdieks View Post
Anyway. I'm connecting my Madison tomorrow. I wonder if that makes any difference to the sound of these speakers compared to my old creamware converters I'm finally ditching
I wanted to add to this discussion that after an evening of testing I can say that they lost a lot of their "harshness" (for which they are known, I guess) just by using a good converter to drive them..
Old 13th September 2014
  #2390
Here for the gear
 
theophile's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdieks View Post
I wanted to add to this discussion that after an evening of testing I can say that they lost a lot of their "harshness" (for which they are known, I guess) just by using a good converter to drive them..
In other words, they are doing a good job of reflecting the upstream components. They are not harsh. They are beautiful, but exposing of everything fed into them. I really don't care if they are totally ignored by the rest of the world. I'll get more of them cheaply that way.
Old 14th September 2014
  #2391
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophile View Post
In other words, they are doing a good job of reflecting the upstream components. They are not harsh. They are beautiful, but exposing of everything fed into them. I really don't care if they are totally ignored by the rest of the world. I'll get more of them cheaply that way.
Well, at least Dave Pensado seems to agree with you.
Old 14th September 2014
  #2392
Here for the gear
 
theophile's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdilletteMan View Post
Well, at least Dave Pensado seems to agree with you.
What I said is the bottom line with the e8Bs. They expose the character of the chain they are the end receiver of.
Old 14th September 2014
  #2393
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophile View Post
What I said is the bottom line with the e8Bs. They expose the character of the chain they are the end receiver of.
There are far more transparent speakers out there than the E8Bs. They're really good and a lot of people like them, but they aren't the be all and end all of really special monitoring.
Old 14th September 2014
  #2394
Here for the gear
 
theophile's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
There are far more transparent speakers out there than the E8Bs. They're really good and a lot of people like them, but they aren't the be all and end all of really special monitoring.
I am interesting in what you've said. I would like to know of these other speakers thanks.
Old 15th September 2014
  #2395
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophile View Post
What I said is the bottom line with the e8Bs. They expose the character of the chain they are the end receiver of.
To have Dave Pensado as an advocate is def not the worst. Also a great Producer/ME nearby used them for years, recently swapped them for Guzauski-Swist GS-3a though.

Anyway, really looking forward to Audiovisjons (re)view on the new Amphion combo!
Old 15th September 2014
  #2396
Lives for gear
 
nott's Avatar
 

hey! great thread!! last week i ordered my mm27 gen2.
have anyone tried the mm27 gen2 digital in along with the metric halo mio mixer?!??
Old 15th September 2014
  #2397
Lives for gear
 
nott's Avatar
 

MM 27 Gen 2 & Digital AES Input

hey! great thread!! last week i ordered my mm27 gen2.
has anyone tried the mm27 gen2 digital in along with the metric halo mio mixer?!??
Old 16th September 2014
  #2398
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theophile View Post
I am interesting in what you've said. I would like to know of these other speakers thanks.
If you're looking at two-ways, my first choice would be ATC SCM20, the Spiral Grooves are also great, as are Questeds. SCM25s are near-fields and also stunning (but three-way).

For larger three-ways, check out anything by ATC, Quested or Harbeth. ProAc Response 4, PMC BB5s, Gausaski Swists, but these are all large three-ways.

The E8Bs have some very good qualities, but they don't get everything right. A lot of people make great mixes on them though...
Old 17th September 2014
  #2399
Gear Head
 

Does anyone can compare Harbeth Monitor 30.1 to Quested v2108? Could be interesting...
Old 17th September 2014
  #2400
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabelton View Post
Does anyone can compare Harbeth Monitor 30.1 to Quested v2108? Could be interesting...
Completely different flavour. 2108 is a massive velvet world leaning at you and swallowing you up. 30.1 is a very natural type of precision that is a little more present and clear. Superbly 'real' sounding. Words don't go to what these two amazing speakers do, you need to hear them. Two of my favourite ever speakers, those.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump