The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High end nearfield test Studio Monitors
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear

Spiral Grooves Review !

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaos View Post
I have enjoyed and learned quite a lot following this thread from its inception. The thread is coming around to more affordable inquiries (amphion) and I hope that the Spiral Grooves gets a shot.

I was an early adopter of the barefoot mm12 and just received the studio ones. While I don't have the breadth of experience of th OP, I can say that the Spiral Grooves should be compared to the field of great monitors in this post.

Hey mate !

I have tried to get a hold of the Spiral Grooves during this review....unfortunately without luck so far.. Spencer C has been very positive about sending me a pair but people are busy and I don´t blame them.. I fully understand that going out of their way to send me a pair thru customs and landmarks is quite a hassle.

If anyone still see´s the benefits of doing it I am more than willing to offer my time for another review.
Old 24th August 2014
Geariophile

I would be curious to hear comments on Spirals next to one15's. Should be a fair comparison.......battle of the small, passive, metal two ways.....
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovisjon View Post
Hey mate !

I have tried to get a hold of the Spiral Grooves during this review....unfortunately without luck so far.. Spencer C has been very positive about sending me a pair but people are busy and I don´t blame them.. I fully understand that going out of their way to send me a pair thru customs and landmarks is quite a hassle.

If anyone still see´s the benefits of doing it I am more than willing to offer my time for another review.
I'd love to hear your opinions on the spiral grooves.
Old 25th August 2014
Lives for gear

Sorry, was in Asia for 3 weeks...

I'm back home now but have a crazy week ahead of me. As soon as I get a chance I will ship a pair of Spirals, I promise!!
Old 25th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I would be curious to hear comments on Spirals next to one15's. Should be a fair comparison.......battle of the small, passive, metal two ways.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKD View Post
I'd love to hear your opinions on the spiral grooves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc View Post
Sorry, was in Asia for 3 weeks...

I'm back home now but have a crazy week ahead of me. As soon as I get a chance I will ship a pair of Spirals, I promise!!

The race is on !
Old 29th August 2014
Lives for gear

Amphion portable amps !

The new amps seems perfect for easy portability .. Can´t wait to hear them in action!
Attached Thumbnails
High end nearfield test-10645099_891956994166041_7079855316464835613_n.jpg  
Old 29th August 2014
Lives for gear

Looking great! Love the size.
BTW the Amphion guys mentioned different power sizes of the amps yesterday on their Facebook page. Would be great to get some more info on the product range and some price estimations if possible!

Amphion Loudspeakers @ Facebook 28 august 2014:
Quote:
Will get the final cost calculations done shortly. We will then see if you think the smaller version is affordable. The price / performance ratio should be more than fine.
Old 29th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimotei View Post
Looking great! Love the size.
BTW the Amphion guys mentioned different power sizes of the amps yesterday on their Facebook page. Would be great to get some more info on the product range and some price estimations if possible!

Amphion Loudspeakers @ Facebook 28 august 2014:
Perfect ! Keep us posted !
Old 29th August 2014
Gear Addict

The Amphion discussion is indeed very interesting.

Slightly OT. Looking at the Amphion website I wondered what are the monitors with double woofer in this picture

Thanks
Old 29th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovisjon View Post
The new amps seems perfect for easy portability .. Can´t wait to hear them in action!
If it's aiming for portability, does it come with a universal power supply (110-240)? Or will it have a voltage selector switch?
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
The Amphion discussion is indeed very interesting.

Slightly OT. Looking at the Amphion website I wondered what are the monitor with double woofer in this picture

Thanks
I think they are these?

AudioKinesis - sound that moves you
Old 30th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
I think they are these?

AudioKinesis - sound that moves you
I don't think Duke LeJeune, the mastermind of AudioKinesis speakers, has ever designed anything that looks like that - except if you screw your eyes up and see the large round waveguides he often employs as large black paper cones!
Having said that, I have no idea what those are.
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm ordering Q10's from Equator this weekend. I'm extremely excited about it.
Old 31st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inceptic View Post
If it's aiming for portability, does it come with a universal power supply (110-240)? Or will it have a voltage selector switch?

Plug and play all the way ! I have been told it comes with an automatic voltage doubler for universal mains. It is also CE approved and meets Eup and enerystar requirements .
Old 31st August 2014
Lives for gear

Amphion one15 test

Old 31st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
I'm ordering Q10's from Equator this weekend. I'm extremely excited about it.
Congrats mate ! Keep us posted about your experience..
Old 2nd September 2014
Gear interested

Hi everyone,

Did someone compere Amphion with Eve Audio?
SC307 are amazing speakers, i want to upgrade my speakers and seems like Eve are the winner, but im really interested with Amphion.

Cheers
Old 3rd September 2014
Lives for gear
Amphion One18 and PSIA21

I'm a PSI lover and I'm working with PSI A21+ PSI A225 sub. Last week I received the Amphion one18... they are amazing speakers. I wrote a little review here
Amphion... Beautiful

Actually, I would say that for mixing I'm preferring the Amphion One18 over the A21, they give more inspiration and push to work hard to improve the production of a mix... and when we arrive tothe right mix, it's really nirvana.
But for mastering, I'm still more confident with my beloved A21 + A225.
Old 3rd September 2014
Lives for gear

Last edited by Kimotei; 4th September 2014 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: double
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Head

Old 5th September 2014
Gear Head

Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post

Quested V2108 - big, lush, warm, not that slow, great delivery all around but could be seen as a midfield and certainly need a bit of space to be their best. Still haven't made up my mind about translation from these, but I'm warming to them.

Hey TRW! I'm readying great things about the V2108 so i've become interested in them. Because I mostly mix my own stuff, i'm also searching for a musicality in monitors and lots of people said that they're great for composing, too. Can you say a bit more about them, please?

Also, how would you compare them to the RL906 in a direct comparison?
I know that the V2108 are much bigger and more expensive and you already said that the Geithains would be the best fit for my needs but i'm still interested in hearing how'd you compare them.
(if anybody else has heard both of these please, share with us)

Thnx!
Old 6th September 2014
I am surprised people like the Amphions as monitors. I used to sell the audiophile line. They had a ringing issue. I called the US rep about this. He confirmed that the high frequency driver did in fact ring, and the key to avoiding that was not to listen on axis. He did not recommend any placement other than parallel to the front wall. They did NOT recommend ANY toe in. I didn't care for them at all. I don't see how these would work in a small studio.

The HF SEAS driver is very similar to the SEAS driver used in the Mackie HR824mkIIs.

All of the people complaining about the rear mounted passive radiator in the Mackie will likely complain about these as well. Forget soffit mounting these, or using these near a front wall.
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCMe View Post
I am surprised people like the Amphions as monitors. I used to sell the audiophile line. They had a ringing issue. I called the US rep about this. He confirmed that the high frequency driver did in fact ring, and the key to avoiding that was not to listen on axis. He did not recommend any placement other than parallel to the front wall. They did NOT recommend ANY toe in. I didn't care for them at all. I don't see how these would work in a small studio.

The HF SEAS driver is very similar to the SEAS driver used in the Mackie HR824mkIIs.

All of the people complaining about the rear mounted passive radiator in the Mackie will likely complain about these as well. Forget soffit mounting these, or using these near a front wall.

I'm confirming the One18 are superb speakers and I don't know the hifi line. I have all what I want with the One18 in my 14m2 room.

Btw, you are saying you are a reseller. It is really odd to me that you are selling speakers that may ring. If so, you are not serious.

So, I'm suggesting that you listen to this new fantastic Pro line
Your listening test would be very instructive.

Also, you have to know that Amphion is not using a SEAS tweeter in the pro gear.
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

I've heard the Amphions and they are great, but just too HiFi for monitoring IMO. Just my 2c.
Old 6th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
I've heard the Amphions and they are great, but just too HiFi for monitoring IMO. Just my 2c.
Which model did you test ?
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
What means exactly hifi? It's not in my dictionary.
Could you explain a bit more?
Old 6th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by priko View Post
I'm confirming the One18 are superb speakers and I don't know the hifi line. I have all what I want with the One18 in my 14m2 room.

Btw, you are saying you are a reseller. It is really odd to me that you are selling speakers that may ring. If so, you are not serious.

So, I'm suggesting that you listen to this new fantastic Pro line
Your listening test would be very instructive.

Also, you have to know that Amphion is not using a SEAS tweeter in the pro gear.
The company I worked for DID sell them until about 2010. If I was a current reseller, I would have continued to call the company, like I did then, and voice my concerns.

This morning I received a PM from Amphion, informing me they have reworked the line, including the HF driver. I will have to revisit the line. Like I told the person contacting me, I thought the physics of the speakers were solid. The waveguide and cone drivers were properly matched. Their finishes were good. Since they have reworked the HF, I will take a listen to them again, if I can find them in my market.

If I could get a demo of the studio line monitors, if they sounded as good as people say, and if the company could provide expeditious order fulfillment, I would be happy to spec and sell them to my studio, corporate and education customers. We sell several high end monitor lines, but are always looking for better solutions.
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone tried/using the KRK Expose E8bs?
Old 7th September 2014
Gear Maniac

I tried the E8B (but didn't use) a while now.
I remembered they sounded very harsh and fatiguing, but with good low end. I'll prefer an OPAL in this range. Softer in the highs.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search