The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High end nearfield test Studio Monitors
Old 26th July 2014
  #2251
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
Just in case I missed something: for nearfield listening in a small room, the Geithain RL 906 is a winner. But are there any other monitors that come close/are on the same level? What would be the equal competitors? I've read about KS Digital C55. They are supposedly good, but there's little info around and I haven't had a chance to hear them yet. Any others recommended?
Amphion. Having tried the RL906 I found it more instantly impressive/holographic but not necessarily as easy to actually build mixes on as the Amphion.

I had a run on the one15's which I really like bar a slight high bass hump, which is easily adjusted too though. Nothing else not to love about them. Even with the hump the bass is ridiculously useful and easy to work on, to me much more so than the little Geithain.
Just now wearing in one12's to see whether they could be the ones. They have a more bump-less bottom, but I can't quite tell yet just how capable they are as they are still opening up and getting better every day. At very least also very useful tools!

And likely the Spiral Grooves belong in your request, although I have not yet had a go on them.
Old 26th July 2014
  #2252
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Amphion. Having tried the RL906 I found it more instantly impressive/holographic but not necessarily as easy to actually build mixes on as the Amphion.

I had a run on the one15's which I really like bar a slight high bass hump, which is easily adjusted too though. Nothing else not to love about them. Even with the hump the bass is ridiculously useful and easy to work on, to me much more so than the little Geithain.
Just now wearing in one12's to see whether they could be the ones. They have a more bump-less bottom, but I can't quite tell yet just how capable they are as they are still opening up and getting better every day. At very least also very useful tools!

And likely the Spiral Grooves belong in your request, although I have not yet had a go on them.
Can I ask what amp you are running the Amphions from?
Old 26th July 2014
  #2253
Gear Addict
 

Thanks Karloff70, interesting suggestions. I'll check them out. By the way, on the amphion homepage there are only the hifi products listed (Argon, Helium, and Ion). Why are there no infos about the studio range (one15 etc)?
Old 26th July 2014
  #2254
Gear Maniac
Anybody compare Amphion vs spiral grooves
I think they would a interesting comparison because they are both monitors
Made for mixing and not tracking
The spirals on paper seem to go down lower
Old 26th July 2014
  #2255
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tune View Post
Can I ask what amp you are running the Amphions from?
Jim Williams/Audio Upgrades modded Adcom GFA-545.
Old 26th July 2014
  #2256
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
Thanks Karloff70, interesting suggestions. I'll check them out. By the way, on the amphion homepage there are only the hifi products listed (Argon, Helium, and Ion). Why are there no infos about the studio range (one15 etc)?
Dunno, they just haven't got the web thing together properly yet somehow for the studio thing. Hard to google as yet. There is a link in post 2192 a couple of pages back in the thread though.

P.S. Take it back, there is a link to click at the top left of the screen now that toggles between hifi and studio stuff.
Old 26th July 2014
  #2257
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Anybody compare Amphion vs spiral grooves
I think they would a interesting comparison because they are both monitors
Made for mixing and not tracking
The spirals on paper seem to go down lower
That would be very interesting indeed. Lower down would depend on the model I think, although on paper they all spec higher than the Spirals. Not sure that is real, having had one18's here just now.

I think they are the same type of 'animal' as the Spirals. Passive, metal coned mix tool speakers. Although the tweeter and crossover tactics are different.
Old 26th July 2014
  #2258
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
There is a link in post 2192 a couple of pages back in the thread though.
Merci.
Old 26th July 2014
  #2259
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Jim Williams/Audio Upgrades modded Adcom GFA-545.
Interesting, thanks!
Old 28th July 2014
  #2260
TRW
Lives for gear
 
TRW's Avatar
Amphion One18's

Hey!

Anssi has been super nice to get some One18's here for testing...

Here's some inital thoughts:

One 18: First Impression

Build quality is lovely, fit and finish are very high quality. The waveguide is almost ceramic looking and very consistently crisp and white! Nice.

Tweeter is not as I expected - was kinda expecting to have my head ripped off and a headache in 10mins like I do with PMC metal tweeters but although the Amphion's are bright, they are certainly open and detailed, I haven't found them overly fatiguing. Certainly not quested lush, and you do move back from the speaker a touch, so I mixed a bit soft/safe - something to adjust to. The top on these is almost like my Geithain but a touch more "hifi". I should clarify what I mean here after talking with Anssi. The tweeter is metal, you hear that in the immense amount of detail it provides but it is natural and open, I would say there is just a teeny hint of sheen there - but it's not inaccurate just the sound of the technology compared to a soft dome. The titanium tweeter in the Amphion is grealy more natural to my ear than say the Focal inverted dome... but it isn't "old" sounding.

Passive radiator is well voiced and although the bass feels like it comes from a bit further away from the speaker it is TIGHT and well balanced. Seems the radiator is only working very low, like below 80Hz.

Positioning:

I have to say I have found the stereo image collapses and loses height and spaciousness when they are placed in the horizontal position as per a console meter bridge etc or closer togeter. Which is a shame as there are some pictures on the Amphion website which show them in this config (these are One15's not One18's) and was hoping they could nestle in like some NS10's. I think Audiovisjon found this with the TwoTwo18s... vertical placement wins. And the One18 needs space, when I say space, they still sound good close, but best when 1.2-1.5m spaced.

They sound phenomenal image wise when running vertically, lots of depth, height and a large sweetspot, approx. 1.5m equi triangle here and they are deep.

The One18 presents like a near/midfield speaker. The lower mids are boxless with zero clouding and very nimble bass that goes lower in feel than the 48Hz spec. The metal woofers have a "sound" and you'd have to decide whether you like that or not, but I've found it pretty useful to be honest.

What I love:

The TIGHTNESS of the low is incredible, stop/start/stop/start - this is a fast speaker but at the same time pretty open and "slightly" soft so it doesn't throw speed in your face. I have to expand upon this - actually it isn't soft but natural. In comparison to other speakers more directly after I wrote this, I would say the Amphion is wide open everywhere and it's unusual but then you fall for it.

The detail is fantastic and it makes you work hard to produce a balanced and controlled mix. Overall translation so far as been a touch "safe" and I'd like to be made to mix bolder on the speaker - but it's definitely learnable and you can get some good punchy control going.

The lowend is INCREDIBLE for a speaker of this size and price range - these are like a Barefoot lowend with more vibe and hifi-ness and a topend kinda like a PMC but definitely their own Amphion thing. Unique sound quality I think.

This would make a great main nearfield, certainly if you can space them far enough out.

The topend is very detailed and vocals are presented in particular in a very real airy fashion, phantom centre is fantastic. The waveguide definitely puts this in the range of Geithain from an image point of view. You'll want some early reflection treatment to deal with the spread from the tweeter so that reverbs can be accurately judged but these are serious speakers.

I was originally looking for a complimentary pair and was hoping these would tuck inside a larger speaker, approx 1m or so spacing, but they seem to need to be far from each other or I'm getting some uneven bass summation etc.

More testing to be done, but first impression is a really nice speaker - needs a good amp but the low end is impressively controlled for it's size.

Summary:

One to try, GREAT low extension, spacious image, works best vertically, needs a good amp (but I think Hypex/Class-D might make them a bit too hard in the top), like controlled hifi, a teeny tiny bit Barefoot like but also not! lol, image is deep but not forward like a Geithain or PSI.

Oh also they come in a cool wooden flight cacse, and they smell lovely, like freshly cut wood!

About to throw my 904 back up and see!

Cheers
-T
Old 28th July 2014
  #2261
TRW
Lives for gear
 
TRW's Avatar
Talking to myself in way but...

going back and forth to the One18. These speakers have something special. GREAT detail and punch/control. I've not heard another speaker like it to be honest. They sound like gordon audio micpres if that means anything to anyone!

Where a Quested might be a nice Telefunken V72 or old Neve, the PSI a Buzz Audio, the Geithain a GML, the Amphions sound like Gordon Audio... special.

lol - **** analogy maybe but these are fascinating speakers.

-T
Old 29th July 2014
  #2262
Gear Addict
 

Thanks TRW, a very interesting read! What would you say, are the One18 on par sonically with the Geithain RL 906? Two other interesting nearfields:

The Boenicke W5 W5_c - Boenicke Audio

and the Sehring S700 Sehring Audio Systeme GmbH

I'd love to know how they fit in into the bunch you have already tested.
Old 29th July 2014
  #2263
Gear Addict
 

Thanks TRW, a very interesting read! What would you say, are the One18 on par sonically with the Geithain RL 906? Two other interesting nearfields:

The Boenicke W5 W5_c - Boenicke Audio

and the Sehring S700 Sehring Audio Systeme GmbH

I'd love to know how they fit in into the bunch you have already tested.
Old 29th July 2014
  #2264
TRW
Lives for gear
 
TRW's Avatar
Hey the One18 is a much bigger sounding and more controlled loudspeaker than a 906. Honestly the One18's are starting to blow me away day by day.

A bit smaller than a Proac 100 (physically) and as big sounding as my Geithain 904. Which are also killer! So these are not comparable to 906. I would say the One12 or One15 are more likely a better comparison to those.

Never heard the two you mention, but I love the craftsmanship in the Boenicke! I doubt I will hear them but they look nice.

Cheers
-Tom
Old 29th July 2014
  #2265
Gear Addict
 

True, it's maybe rather a One15 to compare a to 906. Maybe Karloff knows more. I'll definitely try to audition some amphion monitors.
Old 29th July 2014
  #2266
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
True, it's maybe rather a One15 to compare a to 906. Maybe Karloff knows more. I'll definitely try to audition some amphion monitors.
To me the 906 and the 15 are comparable. The dimensions of sound they produce are not worlds apart.

The main differences off hand that come first to my mind is that the 906 with a bit of level and bass will find its limit pretty swiftly. Not tons of headroom. You can quite easily make it fart a bit. The one15 will go without stopping for more while presenting a much clearer bass area to work on. But the real main difference for me was how easy the Amphion is to tweak things on. Every parameter is 'on the table' and super easy to access all while still sounding musical and imaging superbly.

The RL906 is extremely holographic, like staring into a sonic crystal ball. Which is utterly amazing. But I didn't at all find the parameters as easy to access when getting my hands dirty. They can say 'this mix/production sounds great!' very clearly when it is the case, but they sort of pull the drawbridge in on you when it comes to helping you actually build one.

The Amphions are less holographic, more just like there is daylight on your sounds. Not neon light, like some speakers, just daylight. And the drawbridge never goes up, they will just lead you into the castle. Like you have an invite. Quite strange actually. Try them out and you'll see what I mean. Sounds like TRW is getting the vibe now......I know for sure I need me some. Just not sure which model yet, still more to hear.

P.S. Damn, that Boenicke looks stunning.
Old 29th July 2014
  #2267
Gear Addict
 

Thank you Karloff, very interesting. Sounds like you judge the 906 and the one15 to be sonically on par, while personally prefering the Amphion. I reallly must hear them. Too bad I can not hear them side by side to the Geithain. Yeah, the Boenicke looks great. And according to the only review I could find, they don't sound too shabby either:

6moons audio reviews: Boenicke Audio W5
Old 29th July 2014
  #2268
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
Thank you Karloff, very interesting. Sounds like you judge the 906 and the one15 to be sonically on par, while personally prefering the Amphion. I reallly must hear them. Too bad I can not hear them side by side to the Geithain. Yeah, the Boenicke looks great. And according to the only review I could find, they don't sound too shabby either:

6moons audio reviews: Boenicke Audio W5
The Geithain RL906 is amazing. But I find it much easier to actually work on the Amphions. They throw quite different shapes and show you quite a different set/amount of parameters to tweak.
Old 30th July 2014
  #2269
Lives for gear
 
dotl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
The Geithain RL906 is amazing. But I find it much easier to actually work on the Amphions. They throw quite different shapes and show you quite a different set/amount of parameters to tweak.
how much the Amphions cost? i can't find them on the net. also, they're passive, right?
Old 30th July 2014
  #2270
Here for the gear
 

maybe there are some information for you here: ISSUU - Amphion professional loudspeaker brochure by Amphion Loudspeakers Ltd.

i am too very interested in the one15 and one18. It would be interesting for me how the mids/bass behaves im comparison between those two. And how strong is the passive radiator affecting the bass/subs. And if the one18 is more room dependent in any way (because Audiovisjon mentioned the dip when he tested the two18)?
Anyone experienced?

Omg, i need to get them :D I wanna have a try on them
Old 30th July 2014
  #2271
Gear Addict
 

Wow, the One15 is quite a bit cheaper than the RL 906, even if you need an amp. If you already have an amp you can even get the One18's for less than the RL 906... If anybody has a chance to compare these three monitors side by side I'd love to hear about it!
Old 30th July 2014
  #2272
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
Wow, the One15 is quite a bit cheaper than the RL 906, even if you need an amp. If you already have an amp you can even get the One18's for less than the RL 906... If anybody has a chance to compare these three monitors side by side I'd love to hear about it!
Amphion is ridiculous value for sure. And not in a 'good for the money' way. More like 'f*** me amazing tools and what, only that much?'. Obviously not entirely for free, but priced to spread like the plague once people realise what they do....

You do need a little bit of space for the 18's to do their thing though. In my little room they were choked and couldn't unfold their picture. 15's and 12's will sing in any space I would say.

Old 30th July 2014
  #2273
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
do the amphions equal or surpass a lot of 3-way designs or are you guys suggesting they are excellent in their own class?
Old 30th July 2014
  #2274
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
do the amphions equal or surpass a lot of 3-way designs or are you guys suggesting they are excellent in their own class?
Haven't got any 3 ways to compare but I would call them excellent tools, full stop.
Old 30th July 2014
  #2275
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys View Post
Wow, the One15 is quite a bit cheaper than the RL 906, even if you need an amp. If you already have an amp you can even get the One18's for less than the RL 906... If anybody has a chance to compare these three monitors side by side I'd love to hear about it!
Not that much difference - the Amphion One15 are €650 +VAT each and you will need a good amp. with them to do them justice.

The RL906 includes two amplifiers and an electronic crossover (£973 +VAT in the UK).
Old 30th July 2014
  #2276
Gear Addict
 

At least here in switzerland it's a difference. The Geithains cost 2'600 CHF roughly, the One15 are 1580 CHF including the 8% VAT. So, it's roughly 1'100$ cheaper, for which you can get an amp and should still have a nice sum left. The question for me is how the One15 fare in a direct comparison with the Geithains. Unfortunately I have no chance to hear them in the same room. I guess I'll have to wait until Amphion has a dealer in switzerland to hear them. In the meantime maybe some in depth reviews pop up
When I heard the RL 906 I was stunned, they are glorious speakers. From the available competition I was firlmy decided to get the RL 906. But now these Amphions got me curious.
Old 30th July 2014
  #2277
TRW
Lives for gear
 
TRW's Avatar
The two presentations are quite different.

Still digging into the demo ONE18's I have here - Anssi @ Amphion has done a great job designing a real tool full of information here.

The Geithains are very detailed and very immersive to listen to. I find the Amphions a bit more laid back and easy to take an outside picture on, but the Geithains are monstrous at the details and the 906 loves kick/snare punch. If you mix it so its big on that little speaker, it can be monstrous elsewhere.

Amphions are pretty unique too. I'm starting to REALLY like the ONE18, but still have doubts about listing my RL904 for sale...

-T
Old 31st July 2014
  #2278
Lives for gear
 
JSilver's Avatar
 

Hi, how would you compare Amphions one15 to PSI A17m?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
To me the 906 and the 15 are comparable. The dimensions of sound they produce are not worlds apart.

The main differences off hand that come first to my mind is that the 906 with a bit of level and bass will find its limit pretty swiftly. Not tons of headroom. You can quite easily make it fart a bit. The one15 will go without stopping for more while presenting a much clearer bass area to work on. But the real main difference for me was how easy the Amphion is to tweak things on. Every parameter is 'on the table' and super easy to access all while still sounding musical and imaging superbly.

The RL906 is extremely holographic, like staring into a sonic crystal ball. Which is utterly amazing. But I didn't at all find the parameters as easy to access when getting my hands dirty. They can say 'this mix/production sounds great!' very clearly when it is the case, but they sort of pull the drawbridge in on you when it comes to helping you actually build one.

The Amphions are less holographic, more just like there is daylight on your sounds. Not neon light, like some speakers, just daylight. And the drawbridge never goes up, they will just lead you into the castle. Like you have an invite. Quite strange actually. Try them out and you'll see what I mean. Sounds like TRW is getting the vibe now......I know for sure I need me some. Just not sure which model yet, still more to hear.

P.S. Damn, that Boenicke looks stunning.
Old 31st July 2014
  #2279
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
Hi, how would you compare Amphions one15 to PSI A17m?

Thanks
I have only heard A17's for a little minute, so can't really offer a full comparison, as the PSI's I know well (owned) are the A21's. But in general it is a different feel of presentation. Both excellent speakers, but very different philosophy of getting to the goal. The biggest difference to me PSI to Amphion is the Amphions seem rather more opinionated, telling me more what to do as opposed to just putting the sound in front of me (based on A21m's).
Old 31st July 2014
  #2280
Gear Addict
 

The Amphions are quietly taking over from Geithain here And just when I was about to buy the Geithains. In any case it's an impressive entry. Karloff, do you have any more thoughts about One12 vs One15?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump