The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High end nearfield test
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Addict
after following this thread for month i decided to get rid of some stuff....
Quadrat Vulkan - Quested H108 - Westlake BBSM-4F - Dynaudio BM15
and i just realized that there are even 5 more pairs hanging around in dark corners.... hahahaha
omg i wish i had not tried to save money with little upgrading steps for so many years.
Attached Thumbnails
High end nearfield test-p1060169.jpg  
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post

PSI A17

Geithain RL906
how would you compare these two?
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl View Post
Probably while smiling?
Old 22nd July 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey these are not even close to each other in my opinion. Very different sounds, both good.

The A17 suffers a bit from trying to produce a bit more lowend from a smaller box and has a slightly more etched sizzly topend. Image is good but they certainly didn't sound as fast and as punchy as I remember. A bit bland perhaps.

We've had both side by side again today along with Rocks, Pebbles, Quested, PMC etc, various big & small.

The PSI seemed slightly confusing, the 906 is straight up one the best balanced and informative speakers I've heard. In some ways it produces full spectrum more cleanly. They're drier than the PSI to me with more consistent lowend for a small box but very useful. Image and depth pinpoint accurate, lowmids kinda lean & mean. Treat them like the ultimate NS10 nearfield alongside some bigger more lush speakers like S7 and its powerful.

The thing with the 906 is that a great mix will sing but its not always easy to get it to sing on them alone. They are both a bit bland, opinionless speakers and room dependant so try yourself if you can. 906 is a little monster and maybe more useful than my 904 but I think its the perfect 2nd monitor as opposed to choice no.1.

PSI - kinda going off them as they aren't punching me like they did at the beginning and feel like a junkie looking for speed. Tried PSI before and they blew me away but less so today. Very room & placement dependant but I've heard them in the right place and they were banging. More trials to be had here but PSI vibe in general is a good no.1 IF you like their sound which seems to be very room dependant.

906 probably the most balanced mini nearfield I have used but don't expect rock n roll vibes and warm lower mids, these are lean & mean and should be treated as such... An S7 with these is a powerful combo.

Mixing electronica on 906 translate pretty damn spacey and punchy. Wouldn't want to mix a lot of brash electric guitar on them tho. PSI mixes to me translate as very open. Pop ish with extended clean topend.

-T
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Nut

This has been a really fascinating tread- yesterdays listening session has moved me to finally contribute (the sessions that Tom has been discussing were in the studio here- just wanted to add my 2 cents as it were)

It is really interesting listening to speakers as partners to each other- as Tom says the Geithain 906 are an example of this in that they provide a brilliant foil to any of the speakers that we listened to. I was previously looking to sell mine but on reflection will be keeping them- they always tell me something useful and have a 'box less' quality that belied their size. Hearing the box is something that can really compromise the listening experience for me, and these little speakers are fantastic at removing any box from their sound. I could not use then as my primary speaker (as I have been trying to do)- they are incredibly unopinionated as a speaker and do find in the initial balance phase of a mix they don't give the direction and interaction that I am looking for. What they do offer i a unique ability to hear the entire mix in front of you- it is really possible to take a step back with these and understand the relationships between elements and the delivery of the mix as a whole. They almost seem to really dry off the mix a little- show you details and expose perspectives. Can be tricky to mix distorted guitars etc on them, but show when you have them right off another speaker and give you information about how to improve the delivery.

The Questeds that we heard (S7, 2108) were a very different proposition. Rather than allowing you to sit back and hear the overall mix perspective the S7 draws you into the mix and engages in a really musical way. The midrange detail is really quite special in these speakers, and I have not heard a better speaker for judging time based effects- you truly hear everything but in a really consistent and stable way. The top end is really engaging- I have a real problem with a number of modern monitors that seem to have an exaggerated top end- find it hard to mix tracks as i hear them in my head and have to reference regularly to make sure my top end is in the target area. On the Quested I can mix as I hear it in my head (hope this makes sense) and the translation to these more 'hyped' modern monitors is excellent- has the openness and speed of delivery that I cannot achieve on those speakers from the soft dome on the quested. I do have 1 concern with the quested s7, with what sounds to me as box resonance in the lower midrange. You can hear this character in the box from the moment that you start listening, and without a second pair I found myself second guessing this in my mixes, and had some minor translation issues here- infinitely learnable that said! The 2108 is to me a very special speaker. All of the box resonance disappears and I felt I was left with a truly solid stable image with fantastic bass delivery, detailed midrange and a more detailed bright top end than the s7. In a wider configuration they felt like a really good main, bring them closer together and they clean up, become more transient and work as a genuine near field. If you are looking for a musically engaging speaker with strong detail without being etched and a supremely controlled bottom end I would encourage you to listen to these. As long as your space is well treated suspect these will be good in smaller rooms- the Veale designed room that we were in is not huge (big enough for a 32 input Audient 8024 with a DLC section) these speakers sounded even and engaging- as you can probably tell I really loved these- the speaker disappeared and I was left with music. They don't have quite the midrange detail of the S7, and the top end on the s series is something that I really did find liberating (mixing without worrying is a really positive mindset) but also did not have the box/driver resonance of the S7. Our next step is to try the S7 with the sub, and the S8. Judging from other comments regarding the S8 I think these might be a fantastic nearfield. Hoping for the midrange focus and detail, the S7 top end delivery and a less resonant more open bottom end. We all found the questeds creatively inspiring as well as offering the midrange detail- they make you want to reach for creative tools and expire effects that expand on the musical gestures in the music- that musicality is a rare thing in many of todays speakers to my ears.

The PSi audio speakers are an interesting one to me- the A17 I found just tries to create too much low end delivery from the box size- this leads to confusion to me in the midrange of the speaker and I found myself not trusting or engaging with the speaker. Personally I like a speaker to look like it sounds- the Geithains and Questeds both make sense in the visual to auditory translation- the A17s I was less sure of. The A21 I did think was an excellent speaker- can see why they are generating such a strong following and seem to offer fantastic translation. I just cannot say that I found them desperately engaging- just a little flat and uninspiring for me. Undeniable quality here, and a very clever design, just did not make me want to mix on them musically or have the more etched detail or super fast low end of a more analytical speaker. Think a lot of people will really engage with them- just did not call to me or offer me detail and perspective that would influence my personal workflow.

Unity audio rocks are an interesting speaker- we have a set here that have had a few months of burning in and the low end has really opened up. Listen quietly and these things are really useful in the nearfield. On acoustic music with space they retain their characteristics as you turn them up, but on busier louder mixer with a lot of energy in the low end they do close up and feel like they are compressing when loud. If you move them into the midfield this problem seems to be reduced- really like these speakers at distance as a hifi listening experience. In terms of the qualities of the box the two key elements for me are the top end and the LF delivery. The top end is incredibly detailed and really quite bright- def useful in making mix decisions and hearing extreme detail in the mix. Personally have found it very easy to mix vocals on these for example. You can't listen loud for too long though when close- they can get a little fatiguing. As a partner to an S7 they were really strong- this is again one of this speakers that as a second pair is a real mix tool for me personally. The low end delivery really impresses me on these, particularly at low levels. Though there is little low end mess/weight you can really hear into the envelope and delivery of low end material- again hugely useful against another pair of speakers. The compromise of this performance is possibly in the delivery of midrange- I have found an avantone mixcube a really useful tool with these speakers to ensure the frequency content of midrange elements such as electric guitars is as I am expecting, and to avoid over compression. Quick check on these tells you what is wrong and lets you hear this on the rock itself. Very useful loudspeaker once you spend some time with it and can translate what is is telling you. Not musically engaging like the quested, instead incredibly detailed in a number of important areas when creating a team of speakers.

We also had a little pair of PMC DB1s up that belong to a colleague- I found these really useful little speakers. The energy and delivery of snare drums and other transient material was fascinating- they almost worked a s a replacement for an NS10 in term of what they were offering in this area, but with a very bright and for me slightly overdone top end. From hearing a twotwo6 recently I suspect they will be a very interesting alternative speaker in many sets- real delivery and speed in the midrange up. Transmission line I find confusing in the low end tbh- its like its fast and yet detached and changes character with amplitude to my ears, but I would forgive that for the midrange punch and speed on these PMCs.

We have also had some dynaudio M1s up recently- these are a seriously fast speaker with no perceivable box resonance. Impressively quick. On reflection I almost think too quick- the engagement with the deeper elements in the mix was disappointing in translation- though building on the fast delivery seemed to yield rewards with mixes finished on Questeds but started on these. Really enjoyed balancing on them, and on a console great for initial EQ/Dynamics choices- just too easy to loose the music behind the speed of delivery. Fascinating nonetheless...

Sorry for the flow of consciousness here- was really quite musically moved by a number of the speakers yesterday, and also quite technically engaged by others. FOr me its going to be about finding the combination of speakers that unlocks these features, and lets me mix 'as I hear in my head'. Looking forward to hearing s8s in the future, and also looking forward to hearing the amphions that are being discussed in this thread. Should also put out a shout for the papercones- heard Toms and really enjoyed listening to them and also the information that they provided. These are not a grotbox- instead these are an uncoloured by crossover single driver unit with a genuinely useful presentation. Would heartily recommend these as the first speaker to listen to your mix on the morning after you thought you were finished!

Andrew
Old 22nd July 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydeckstrous View Post
This has been a really fascinating tread- yesterdays listening session has moved me to finally contribute (the sessions that Tom has been discussing were in the studio here- just wanted to add my 2 cents as it were)
Thanks matey! We should re-state just as a few others have here that these speakers need to be tried in your own room to be truly evaulated, but sometimes a collective listening session with different opinions can be really helpful to uncover potential. Final decisions must be made in isolation in your own headspace as this is SUPER personal.

Quote:
RE 906 - Can be tricky to mix distorted guitars etc on them, but show when you have them right off another speaker and give you information about how to improve the delivery.
I wanted to add to this that I think this is to do with the tweeter and slight hardness, it seems to respond well to controlled sounds but distorted guitars are brutal little buggers here.

Overall this thread is killer and something that deserves more consideration is "pairing up" or "loudspeaker matchmaking" - as two pairs are really useful and you can't just blindly pick two pairs that seem interesting and get useful info from them. The balance in the choice is crucial to translation I think.

Cheers
-Tom
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:

Overall this thread is killer and something that deserves more consideration is "pairing up" or "loudspeaker matchmaking" - as two pairs are really useful and you can't just blindly pick two pairs that seem interesting and get useful info from them. The balance in the choice is crucial to translation I think.

Cheers
-Tom
Totally agree. It's like a football team. One pair can't be the striker and the goalie at once. Or, they can, but if you want to take your team to the highest level it will happen by specialization of the tasks.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Should also put out a shout for the papercones- heard Toms and really enjoyed listening to them and also the information that they provided. These are not a grotbox- instead these are an uncoloured by crossover single driver unit with a genuinely useful presentation. Would heartily recommend these as the first speaker to listen to your mix on the morning after you thought you were finished!

Andrew
Thank you for the kind words!! That last sentence made me laugh out loud. Almost wants to find its way onto the website somehow......the little paper goalie.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
It is really interesting listening to speakers as partners to each other- as Tom says the Geithain 906 are an example of this in that they provide a brilliant foil to any of the speakers that we listened to. I was previously looking to sell mine but on reflection will be keeping them- they always tell me something useful and have a 'box less' quality that belied their size. Hearing the box is something that can really compromise the listening experience for me, and these little speakers are fantastic at removing any box from their sound. I could not use then as my primary speaker (as I have been trying to do)- they are incredibly unopinionated as a speaker and do find in the initial balance phase of a mix they don't give the direction and interaction that I am looking for. What they do offer i a unique ability to hear the entire mix in front of you- it is really possible to take a step back with these and understand the relationships between elements and the delivery of the mix as a whole. They almost seem to really dry off the mix a little- show you details and expose perspectives. Can be tricky to mix distorted guitars etc on them, but show when you have them right off another speaker and give you information about how to improve the delivery.
Question - which version of the RL906 were you using?

Was it the latest version with the slightly raised tweeter?

Or was it the old version with the centre-mounted tweeter?
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Nut

We are on the older ones with the centre aligned tweeter

Andrew
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey these are not even close to each other in my opinion. Very different sounds, both good.

The A17 suffers a bit from trying to produce a bit more lowend from a smaller box and has a slightly more etched sizzly topend. Image is good but they certainly didn't sound as fast and as punchy as I remember. A bit bland perhaps.

We've had both side by side again today along with Rocks, Pebbles, Quested, PMC etc, various big & small.

The PSI seemed slightly confusing, the 906 is straight up one the best balanced and informative speakers I've heard. In some ways it produces full spectrum more cleanly. They're drier than the PSI to me with more consistent lowend for a small box but very useful. Image and depth pinpoint accurate, lowmids kinda lean & mean. Treat them like the ultimate NS10 nearfield alongside some bigger more lush speakers like S7 and its powerful.

The thing with the 906 is that a great mix will sing but its not always easy to get it to sing on them alone. They are both a bit bland, opinionless speakers and room dependant so try yourself if you can. 906 is a little monster and maybe more useful than my 904 but I think its the perfect 2nd monitor as opposed to choice no.1.

PSI - kinda going off them as they aren't punching me like they did at the beginning and feel like a junkie looking for speed. Tried PSI before and they blew me away but less so today. Very room & placement dependant but I've heard them in the right place and they were banging. More trials to be had here but PSI vibe in general is a good no.1 IF you like their sound which seems to be very room dependant.

906 probably the most balanced mini nearfield I have used but don't expect rock n roll vibes and warm lower mids, these are lean & mean and should be treated as such... An S7 with these is a powerful combo.

Mixing electronica on 906 translate pretty damn spacey and punchy. Wouldn't want to mix a lot of brash electric guitar on them tho. PSI mixes to me translate as very open. Pop ish with extended clean topend.

-T
Quote:

The PSi audio speakers are an interesting one to me- the A17 I found just tries to create too much low end delivery from the box size- this leads to confusion to me in the midrange of the speaker and I found myself not trusting or engaging with the speaker. Personally I like a speaker to look like it sounds- the Geithains and Questeds both make sense in the visual to auditory translation- the A17s I was less sure of. The A21 I did think was an excellent speaker- can see why they are generating such a strong following and seem to offer fantastic translation. I just cannot say that I found them desperately engaging- just a little flat and uninspiring for me. Undeniable quality here, and a very clever design, just did not make me want to mix on them musically or have the more etched detail or super fast low end of a more analytical speaker. Think a lot of people will really engage with them- just did not call to me or offer me detail and perspective that would influence my personal workflow.
Wow! Thank you guys so much! I really needed this.

Also, this thread is a pearl of the site. Bravo to all!

I've moved recently and i now producing/mixing in a much smaller room (about 11 m2) and my PCM TB2 are too boomy now so i'm looking for a replacement (tbh i never liked them much; can't explain...somehow unbalanced and unnatural sounding). I also have Yamahas HS50m as a secondary pair (which i might keep as a substitute for auratones) and AudioTechnica ATH-M50 phones as a backup.

So after reading this and similar threads i've concluded that Geithain RL906 or PSI A17m could be valid successors. But what i'm reading in your posts is that non of them would be good enough as a primary monitors but nothing bigger can get into my room.
I should probably also say that i'm not a pro mixer but a producer/mixer of my own music (ranges from musique concrete and idm to symphonic stuff).

Yes, i know, i'll have to hear them in my room but that's not an easy venture cause of distance to the nearest dealer. So, i'd like to be as sure as possible i'm ordering a demo speaker that i'll probably buy.

Before those comments arrive i'd like to say that lots of people here like to say that we can't relay on subjective speakers recommendations but i think that's stupid.
''I'm not gonna say a thing! You'll have to try it your self.'' (i'm really sick of those comments, like nobody knows that). What should we do then? Close gearslutz.com? We're adding all of those subjectivities to the information pile that contains other types of sources too, including our own experience. We all understand which part is subjective (and how to understand it) and which leans to more objective side. Sometimes ppl say it if a speaker is very sensitive to placement or room size and that's something else which is understandable and a valid advice.

So, having absolutely nothing against your subjectiveness (which i hold most dearly), can't you plz tell me which one of these two you'd most likely choose as a primary pair.

Thnx!
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
We are on the older ones with the centre aligned tweeter
Thanks for that. There was a small improvement on the version with the realigned tweeter - not in the specs., but in the sound.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
So after reading this and similar threads i've concluded that Geithain RL906 or PSI A17m could be valid successors. But what i'm reading in your posts is that non of them would be good enough as a primary monitors but nothing bigger can get into my room.
I should probably also say that i'm not a pro mixer but a producer/mixer of my own music (ranges from musique concrete and idm to symphonic stuff).
Interesting one this- for me its not that they are not good enough as a main speaker but rather they along with every other speaker I have heard are compromised. Looking at distortion, group delay, frequency response etc etc I really del the Geithain is a speaker that offers strong performance in all characteristics- sits in the middle of most categorisation discussions. By adding another pair gives another perspective- helps to gain insight to what you are hearing. The nice thing about the balance of the 906 is that it can help with the imperfections and compromises in other speakers- be it a technical compromise or a more musical compromise. Imperfection can be really endearing- the 906 becomes a great reference to this imperfection. In terms of music concrete (my PhD is in electroacoustic composition) the 906 i an amazing speaker to make music on , and it excels at both classical and electronic music genres. I just find it a bit trickier on guitar based rock. Recent album in the folk genre mixed on 906s came off really nicely for example.

I imagine that the a17 and the 906 would both offer a significant improvement- personally would def recommend trying the 906. You will never be unhappy with it, but might find yourself one day wanting to add a pair of psi a14s for that snappy midrange or quested s7s for their midrange etc.

No perfect speaker to me, but if I could only have 1 and size was an issue the 906s would be where I would, and indeed did start!

Andrew
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you, Andrew!
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Nut

No probs- but as Tom says just an opinion to throw into the mix! Looking forward to hearing what you go for

Andrew
Old 22nd July 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've moved recently and i now producing/mixing in a much smaller room (about 11 m2) and my PCM TB2 are too boomy now so i'm looking for a replacement (tbh i never liked them much; can't explain...somehow unbalanced and unnatural sounding). I also have Yamahas HS50m as a secondary pair (which i might keep as a substitute for auratones) and AudioTechnica ATH-M50 phones as a backup.
If your PMC are passives, try a few amps, makes a big difference on those!

Quote:
If you do Musique Concrete and Symphonic stuff, the 906 would be amazing as your only speaker in my opinion. Andrew can comment on this as he has had a career as an Electro-Acoustic composer and was very used to speakers that work in this style.

Quote:
Yes, i know, i'll have to hear them in my room but that's not an easy venture cause of distance to the nearest dealer. So, i'd like to be as sure as possible i'm ordering a demo speaker that i'll probably buy.
Try the Geithains.

Quote:
Sometimes ppl say it if a speaker is very sensitive to placement or room size and that's something else which is understandable and a valid advice.
Haha totally get you, yes this thread is full of valid advice and the original thread poster has been bang on with most of our experiences also. The final choices might be different but the overall impressions have been pretty similar.

We actually started doing our own tests before this thread started and it was funny, like parallel universe funny, reading similar posts! We had to join in the fun in the end!

906 could be amazing for you, or if you want more bass like the TB2 - try my 904?!

-Tom
Old 22nd July 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

Hahaha Andy beat me to it. His advice super on it there.

For the styles you work in, I would say the A21 is a better tool than A17 and isn't going to swamp your room with much more low end compared to the 17.

At this level, the only way is to try... sorry :-)
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hahaha Andy beat me to it. His advice super on it there.

For the styles you work in, I would say the A21 is a better tool than A17 and isn't going to swamp your room with much more low end compared to the 17.

At this level, the only way is to try... sorry :-)
Thanks a lot man! I'm definitely gonna try the geithains and probably the a17 (if yes then at the same time probably) but if i find the a17's force more favorable than the 906 then i'll also try the a21
(cause a21 cost much more so i hope they suck ).

Gearslutz simply works!
Old 22nd July 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks for the awesome insight on this thread got the perfect pair of monitors for me, S3X-H!

A bit surprising as they are not mentioned that much in this thread and I was not really considering testing them, but the dealer insisted I test the S3X-H and I'm very glad I did.

Actually it was the RL906 who I did a direct shootout with the S3X , which I find the 906 to be amazing also, but I prefer the more present mid range detail and the way the S3X let you go into the mix more. RL906 defiantly sound a bit more natural and are more musical, and have incredible imaging, but the S3X just let me see into things better across the whole board and thus make translation quicker and easier for me. I'd definitely use the RL906 more for producing if I had both and the S3X for mixing.

I've tested in the past Barefoots, and Quested at studios/friends, but I'm definitely more in favor of the S3X for what I like, and it seems reading on here quite a few have picked S3X and their bigger brothers the S4X over the likes of Barefoot, ATC etc so I'd recommended adding these in your testing, you may or may not like them!

Thanks!
Old 22nd July 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

Interesting!!

Myself and Andrew heard the S3X-V a long time ago and I was at a studio in NYC where they were also and there was something nice about them compared to earlier adams!

Good luck to everyone in the search of finding their own monitoring holy grail!

-T
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Addict
Amphions

Hi,
I have a pair of S3x-Hs + Sub12 on sale if someone is interested, just PM me.

I had to move my studio to a smaller place and I thought this would be a great time to try new monitors if I ever will...So I got a chance to try Amphion Two15s and One18s. Good things have been said about Amphions here, that was one of the reasons I wanted to try...While living in Finland (where Amphion is from) I quite easily got a chance to test..

I instantly fell in love with the One18...They're so natural, so precise, so fun and inspiring to listen to. A good-eared friend of mine stopped by and tested the One18s with some of his favorite albums, his comment summarize my thoughts: "It's like listening to your stereo at home but just a million times better". I have the same feeling, the sound is somehow "familiar from home", they don't sound like Adams or Focals or Genelecs or whatever (things I've used in the past), they sound like the music you play from them sounds like. This might sound stupid to some but honestly I can't find better words.

My new control room is a little bit small for my old system anyway and after testing the two Amphion pairs for a week, I finally put my trusted Adams on sale.

All I can say is wow, all that has been said here is true...The imaging, the phase action... I did a quick mix on the one18s and it was so easy to get everything right in a few moments...No guessing, no approximations just pure information that (at least in this quick test) translates very well.

I've had some issues with the S3Xs getting the mid (the centre) balance right...Mostly with snares and vocals...Might be the midforwardness or more likely just my room or speaker placement...Don't know...Anyway with Amphions I didn't have to guess...I just put the things where I felt they should be and when listening to my mix in some trusted places (like home stereo) I noticed that all the choises went just right at first try... No need to come back to tune the vocals next day which has been normal for me with the S3Xs.

I in many ways still love the Adams, they are also very accurate and I've made very good sounding albums with them. They also get very loud if you want them to, if you're in a big (or even mid sized) control room, for tracking drums you need more firepower than the Amphions can produce.

I'm now a happy owner of Amphion One18s. Life is good here, hope you guys get the chance to test these...I wasn't even shopping for new monitors, it was supposed to be just one of those "OK, let's try because it's possible"-things. I can report more when my holiday ends and I really start to work daily with these.

- Mikko
Producer / Mixing / recording engineer
5by5 Studios
Old 23rd July 2014
TRW
Lives for gear

Hey thanks for the little mini review of the One18. What amp are you running them with?

Can you describe the bottom end, is it lean and punchy with that passive radiator or is there some roundness and warmth down there?

Cheers
-Tom
Old 23rd July 2014
Lux
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane View Post
Hi,
I have a pair of S3x-Hs + Sub12 on sale if someone is interested, just PM me.

I had to move my studio to a smaller place and I thought this would be a great time to try new monitors if I ever will...So I got a chance to try Amphion Two15s and One18s. Good things have been said about Amphions here, that was one of the reasons I wanted to try...While living in Finland (where Amphion is from) I quite easily got a chance to test..

I instantly fell in love with the One18...They're so natural, so precise, so fun and inspiring to listen to. A good-eared friend of mine stopped by and tested the One18s with some of his favorite albums, his comment summarize my thoughts: "It's like listening to your stereo at home but just a million times better". I have the same feeling, the sound is somehow "familiar from home", they don't sound like Adams or Focals or Genelecs or whatever (things I've used in the past), they sound like the music you play from them sounds like. This might sound stupid to some but honestly I can't find better words.

My new control room is a little bit small for my old system anyway and after testing the two Amphion pairs for a week, I finally put my trusted Adams on sale.

All I can say is wow, all that has been said here is true...The imaging, the phase action... I did a quick mix on the one18s and it was so easy to get everything right in a few moments...No guessing, no approximations just pure information that (at least in this quick test) translates very well.

I've had some issues with the S3Xs getting the mid (the centre) balance right...Mostly with snares and vocals...Might be the midforwardness or more likely just my room or speaker placement...Don't know...Anyway with Amphions I didn't have to guess...I just put the things where I felt they should be and when listening to my mix in some trusted places (like home stereo) I noticed that all the choises went just right at first try... No need to come back to tune the vocals next day which has been normal for me with the S3Xs.

I in many ways still love the Adams, they are also very accurate and I've made very good sounding albums with them. They also get very loud if you want them to, if you're in a big (or even mid sized) control room, for tracking drums you need more firepower than the Amphions can produce.

I'm now a happy owner of Amphion One18s. Life is good here, hope you guys get the chance to test these...I wasn't even shopping for new monitors, it was supposed to be just one of those "OK, let's try because it's possible"-things. I can report more when my holiday ends and I really start to work daily with these.

- Mikko
Producer / Mixing / recording engineer
5by5 Studios
Nice!
Could you describe the difference between One18 and Two15?
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Addict
I was so blown-away by the One18s that my testing time with two15s was much shorter... But what I noticed at the first moment was that the two15s are more mid forward...The bass is rounder and maybe a little bit punchier but somehow I just like the honesty of the one18 lowend. One18s go a little bit deeper but only a little bit. If the two15s mids weren't a little bit too much for my room or let's say that if the mids of the one18s weren't just perfect for my taste, the decision would have been much harder.

The amp I'm currently using is a soon-to-be-released 500W class D amp that has been developed using Amphion's speakers.. The amp was provided with the speakers since I didn't have any (been using active monitors for the last 13 or so years).

-- Mikko

Last edited by mherrane; 23rd July 2014 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Language fault
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Maniac
Any reason why u did not try the two18? Seems to have a bit more headroom and goes a bit lower
Old 24th July 2014
How much are that soon to be released amp? :P
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Maniac

one18s are 8 ohm impedance while two15 s (and two18) are 4 ohm impedance: is possible that difference is due to that?
-R

Quote:
I was so blown-away by the One18s that my testing time with two15s was much shorter... But what I noticed at the first moment was that the two15s are more mid forward...The bass is rounder and maybe a little bit punchier but somehow I just like the honesty of the one18 lowend. One18s go a little bit deeper but only a little bit. If the two15s mids weren't a little bit too much for my room or let's say that if the mids of the one18s weren't just perfect for my taste, the decision would have been much harder.

The amp I'm currently using is a soon-to-be-released 500W class D amp that has been developed using Amphion's speakers.. The amp was provided with the speakers since I didn't have any (been using active monitors for the last 13 or so years).

-- Mikko
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:

-- Mikko
Can I ask how big your room is and what distances you have between the one18's and from you to them?
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovisjon View Post
Music making is based on inspiration and creativity so this is to me an important factor for doing great work. *I like the idea and have the need of being able to make a smooth jazz production one day and a modern, brighter and more compressed rock song the other day… without having the speaker saying "YES" to one and "NO" to the other.
This sentence sums up the biggest thing I've learned following this thread. Thanks again all for your contributions!
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Addict

Just in case I missed something: for nearfield listening in a small room, the Geithain RL 906 is a winner. But are there any other monitors that come close/are on the same level? What would be the equal competitors? I've read about KS Digital C55 and C88. They are supposedly good, but there's little info around and I haven't had a chance to hear them yet. But a coax threeway monitor for roughly 2200$ a pair is tempting. Any others recommended?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search