The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High end nearfield test Studio Monitors
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Guru

The imaging and depth come from the fact that the Geithains are co-axial monitors.

The 944 come in two versions: the 944K with built-in amps and the 944K1 (which, it seems, you have) with the amps separated by an umbilical for easier access. Otherwise they are identical.
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Addict
confirmed.
i heard them side by side and went for 3110. to me they are the top notch if it comes to "natural". they are not as detailed as PSI . but who needs to get lost in this micro-detailed universe..... to me PSI a25 are presenting an interesting point of view incl.information overflow , while quested 3110 render more natural.

coloration is fine to me.

i love the geithain color
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Audiovision
Did you try the spiral grooves monitors?
Anybody hear the spiral grooves compared with the Neauman 310?
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

i'd like to know more about the singer of Breathe the same air, please.

thnx

Regarding this mixes freqs wise they sound pretty good in my room but they're over compressed >>> for my taste.

BTW...thank u for doing this.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry mate ! Haven´t had the pleasure of trying them yet...
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks mate !
As stated I was told by the norwegian rights organisation that its ok to share my own music for educational purposes as long as I don't use the forum for promoting and earning money. It was quite a long chat with them and I could not make much sense out of most of the restrictions pointed out to me, but I am not taking any chances.

Also..some of the artists didn´t feel quite comfortable linking their name to unfinished production so I have to respect that. Hope you understand :-)
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Geithain Rl 944K1

Started mixing my first song on the Geithain.. Feels pretty good!
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Addict

I just made contact with the distributor in my country and I should have the V3110 soon.
Will report my observation against PSIs ATCs and B&Ws of course.
The distributor told me over the phone "they certainly aren't made to be pleasing"...

PS if the PSIs are a Ferrari of speakers, I expect the Quested to be the Lamborghini.
I guess the ATC could be the equivalent of Porsches.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

The best of luck mate ! I hope you find what you are searching for!
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Addict

thanks! and best of luck to you too! I hope I am not hijacking your thread, I promise I'll keep it clean!
Being a composer/arranger and a mixer at the same time poses tough questions!
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

No..no.. no problem! This is definitely not a competition but a co-operation for sharing our experience and learning from each other. This is what a healthy society should be build upon but unfortunately rarely practiced in real life. Everyone with a appetite for sharing and learning are more than welcome !
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

The 310's didn't impress me when I heard them. They aren't in the caliber of many of the other speakers being discussed. Having said that I have not heard the SG's.
Old 29th October 2013
Gear addict

I got down to the PSI a21s, KH310s and the Tridents. I bought the Tridents.I liked everything about the PSIs except the low end, which I just didn't bond with. I much preferred the HGs to the 310s... and after spending a lot of time with the HDs I don't regret my decision one bit.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

that's correct, I can confirm... but who wants a pleasing speaker for critical tasks? I don't want that, I need/want a speaker that's as close to "truth" as possible. "Not to sound pleasing" may be "pleasing" for some listeners

Good luck!
Old 29th October 2013
Gear interested

Constant pleasing etc. aural honey-dripping in loudspeaker is pure Winnie the Pooh -level audiophile requirement.
Reality is not always pleasing, actually quite infrequently. Proper loudspeakers obligation is to render that reality i.e. to carry out fed in aural message. In other words: from back´s terminal side electricity in, front´s driver side audio waveform launch out. That´s electro-acoustical transformers i.e. loudspeakers job.

Messenger who puts its own stories/opinions/statements to carried message... what kind of messenger is that?? Quite incompetent messenger if asked from me. Should be fired immediately from messenging/electro-acoustical transforming tasks!

P.S. The best aural messengers are the ones which do not holler the carried message out all over. They are known in audio couriering business as K-series cardioid Geithains.
Old 29th October 2013
Gear maniac

Pic of the Geithains please!

Old 30th October 2013
Gear Guru

This is the RL944K in "birdseye maple" finish - it's a 3-way co-axial:

The RL944K1 in "black ash":

Amp. module from K1 version:

Old 30th October 2013
Gear maniac

Very sweet of you John, but the gearslut in me wanted to see them in Audiovisjon's amazing space.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Addict

Of course, but to me pleasing is equal to non fatiguing. I am looking for a speaker that is both accurate and non fatiguing.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Geithain RL 944 K1 first impressions !

I will try to post a picture of the setup later today!

Lupez :The Geithain fits your description of preferences very much.

I have only worked with them a few hours and are already thru two mixes. I find myself working faster than with any other speaker in the test. There is no hysterical screaming of wrongness in this speaker but a very natural presentation of what you got. The flaws are gently pointed out and pushing you in (hopefully) the right direction. I can't hear any resonans rise or dips like I do with all the other speakers making me wanna reach for the Trinnov and smooth a few db. I haven´t even bothered to hook it up yet to see the response curves, cause it really dont feel necessary (but I will) . There is a colour though, and the bottom end and low mids is bigger and warmer than Barefoot and Psi. Still they are very focused and clear and not muddy at all like I experienced with the Atc scm25.

To describe the sound it is leaning much more to the more musical (and pleasing if you will), sound of the PMC line. It is also the first speaker besides Aml2 that doesn't sound like "Auratones" when A/B testing with my mains. They sound huge , open and articulated at the same time.

The transient response feels slower but detailed enough to report problems, but in a much gentler way than Barefoot or Psi as an example. It feels very inspiring and easy to work on them...To be continued
Old 30th October 2013
Gear interested

Consequence of lesser room reflections on most heavily room damaged audio band. Bigger and warmer = less cratered audio reproduction on those problematic frequencies. One step closer to optimal reproduction.

Omniradiating conventional loudspeakers lower mid and bass is shredded to pieces (cancellation dips) by room reflections. Speaker is entirely under rooms influence. Now, you have cardioid speaker with radiation control on that problem band: resulting less room reflection shredding, front wall and corners mirroring i.e. damaging cancellation effect gets reduced. That is because Geithain does holler bass and lower mid to their direction only heavily suppressed.
On normal speakers, that effect is possible via room acoustical treatments only i.e. thick layers of absorbing material on front wall/corners. Cardioid speaker is different, though. It is not any more totally on rooms mercy on bass and lower mid. It has a weapon to fight back on its own.

P.S. No color may seem colorful if the reference so far has also been colored. heh
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Addict

wow!
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Nut

Hello AudioVisJon
If we rank most beneficial threads here on GS yours might come at the top !
thank you
just one demand ! sorry if it might seem stupid ! but anyways could you plz make a short ranking list of the already tested monitors ! regardless of price range ! simply based on your testing a/b ing and mixing preferences !

thank you again
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Guru

Thanks MG - a good explanation
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Maniac
Audiovision how would you compare the pmc to the 310?
Thanks I have the 310 and looking at different options
Right now I feel that the 310 is missing the musical feeling
The very quick mid range may no be right for me
Still trying to learn these speakers
Thanks
Dave
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

having the o300, (but not yet having heard the 310) i know what you mean by 'not musical'. They are a very clinical monitor for sure. But, coming from an 'overly musical' [ie, hyped] and not analytical enough pair --these are just what the doctor ordered for me, personally.

I would suggest trying a few brands in your own environment to make a judgement as to what fits your ears. (if this can't be done for costs reasons, at least listen to some in someone else's studio/or store).

P.S. are you selling your 310s? hit me up!
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry for the delay mate ! Its been one of those weeks with sick wife and children. Im holding up though and have to do the heavy lifting at home of course. I will try to get more time with the Geithains this weekend and report back...

Here´s a pictures of them hooked up .. The looks is not were the Geithains impress though!
Attached Thumbnails
High end nearfield test-geithain-944k1-setup-1.jpg  
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Hey Dave!

I haven´t heard the 3110 but only worked with the 3208. I would assume the tonal balance isn't to far away between the two, and I had the same experience with the 3208 as you describe with the 3110.

I would definitely say the Pmc line has a more musical than clinical approach to their speakers like what I am experiencing with the Geithains. Both Aml2 and G944k1 make me question my need for this hyper detailed speakers that make me work three times longer on every project. I am finding myself all of a sudden focusing more on the music than the transients and detailed artefacts with the Geithains, which at the moment feels pretty good.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Hey mate !

Thank you very much for the nice words! Regarding a ranking list I would need more time to gather all the information I have on the speakers and evaluate pros and cons. Il get back to you on this one :-)
Old 31st October 2013
Geariophile

Without wanting to sound boringly repetitive I believe the key here is how big a slice of the 100% mixing/production time cake to give to the hyper detailed pair. I vote "Not very much, but I definitely want to keep it there!"

However, if one only had one pair I am not sure I would go hyper detailed either to be honest.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search