The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High end nearfield test
Old 15th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
I love the way some fellas take the piss out of others around here. LOL . . . I knew I should have made popcorn!
Just a joke
Lighten up.
Old 15th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax512 ➡️
Just a joke
Lighten up.
Calm down, man! Chill, please!

By the way the "LOL" indicates joking was occurring and that both parties were aware.
Old 17th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
I've never heard the bigger 50's which everyone says is their best monitor. I heard the 45s at the dealer and didn't care for them either. From everything I've read I'm someone who'd probably love the 20 or the 50.
I mean if you’re willing to pay 15 grand for the 50s, you might as well get their best of the best (150s, regardless of your room situation I’d argue).
Lives for gear
Quote:
I might just put the Neumanns up on the shelf and get a pair of the CLA NS10s for a change.

Bring on the ear fatigue!
Don’t forget the Kleenex.
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfghdhr ➡️
Don’t forget the Kleenex.
LOL . . . that isn't lost on me!! I can all too well remember mixing on NS10Ms and how much ear fatigue came with that endeavor.

The CLA10s don't have quite as much of that.
Old 23rd January 2021
Gear Nut

For mixing purposes, which monitor would fair better, Genelec 8340 or Amphion One18?
And why...
Old 24th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Amphion One18s are better.
Why? SOS review says so

One 18 CONS:
-A good power amplifier is required.
-Nothing else.

Genelec cons:

-Low-frequency group delay and overhang affects bass character.
-Slight lack of mid-range clarity.

So basically the cons of the Genelec are the bass and the midrange plus, if you’re a soft dome tweeter guy, then the other con of Genelec is the treble

Obviously ymmv and it’s worth trying them out if you can.
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey ➡️
Amphion One18s are better.
Why? SOS review says so

One 18 CONS:
-A good power amplifier is required.
-Nothing else.

Genelec cons:

-Low-frequency group delay and overhang affects bass character.
-Slight lack of mid-range clarity.

So basically the cons of the Genelec are the bass and the midrange plus, if you’re a soft dome tweeter guy, then the other con of Genelec is the treble

Obviously ymmv and it’s worth trying them out if you can.
A wise man who has mixed many more albums than I have once said, Genelecs are great for reviewing your mixes on, but not great for making those mixes on.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCav ➡️
For mixing purposes, which monitor would fair better, Genelec 8340 or Amphion One18?
And why...
For who? You have to try them to answer that. For me I wouldn't fight you over either one of those to be honest. Like my one15's a lot, but the 18 didn't ring the bell for me. And those Genny's are not for me either. But this is about speakers for you, so that is all by the by here
Gear Nut

Why do you prefer the One15 over the 18?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Why do you prefer the One15 over the 18?
Because for me the 5" driver works with that tweeter in a seamless way and also because they throw the sound at me, as opposed to the 18, where the image lives behind the speakers. Also 18's look like 'normalnearfields' but to me they lie, they want placing more like mid fields and wide apart, room permitting, to image at their best.
Gear Nut

I’ve seen someone say the exact same about the 15s.
What would you say is the lowest freq they play accurately?
Would they pair nicely with the Amphion sub or do you think they are better suited as just a smaller monitor?

The Amphion website doesn’t specify a huge low freq diff between the 15 and the 18.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Because for me the 5" driver works with that tweeter in a seamless way and also because they throw the sound at me, as opposed to the 18, where the image lives behind the speakers. Also 18's look like 'normalnearfields' but to me they lie, they want placing more like mid fields and wide apart, room permitting, to image at their best.
What distance are you running the 15s at? I was told in the Amphion thread that 1.6m would be too far away. I prefer the idea of the 15s from what I’ve read from yourself and other users to pair with my Geithains. Interested in another users opinion on distance
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I’ve seen someone say the exact same about the 15s.
What would you say is the lowest freq they play accurately?
Would they pair nicely with the Amphion sub or do you think they are better suited as just a smaller monitor?

The Amphion website doesn’t specify a huge low freq diff between the 15 and the 18.
They somehow do a weird thing. Technically they only reproduce sound to about 50 something. But they let me root around in sub pretty much all the way down and get feedback that makes decisions that translate. Don't ask how. I bet adding the amphion sub would be amazing but haven't tried as a little rich for my blood.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmundo ➡️
What distance are you running the 15s at? I was told in the Amphion thread that 1.6m would be too far away. I prefer the idea of the 15s from what I’ve read from yourself and other users to pair with my Geithains. Interested in another users opinion on distance
I haven't measured of late but guessing about 120 or less? I used to have them 98 apart tweeter to tweeter, but now I think they are about 110 or so, can't remember. A little toed, but not looking right at me. I wouldn't necessarily agree that 1.60 is too far, depends on the room. They kind of want a fairly tight room, as in a bigger, loose one they just die and fizzle away into nothing. Like something to lean on from the room. And once they do they also make a great image at 160 I would say. Maybe not much further though.
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

What would you say are the benefits of the Two15s over the One15s?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Can't tell ya, never tried the two15. By from what I hear it's 'more of the same' and also maybe a little more low mids.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
I haven't measured of late but guessing about 120 or less? I used to have them 98 apart tweeter to tweeter, but now I think they are about 110 or so, can't remember. A little toed, but not looking right at me. I wouldn't necessarily agree that 1.60 is too far, depends on the room. They kind of want a fairly tight room, as in a bigger, loose one they just die and fizzle away into nothing. Like something to lean on from the room. And once they do they also make a great image at 160 I would say. Maybe not much further though.
Thanks for sharing. My rooms pretty tight with lots of trapping so that’s encouraging.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get a pair of Genelec 8351, they are awesome !!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The two15 are cool but didn't make sense to me, the one15 is a great mix monitor as is, Not really a need imo for a second woofer.
Gear Maniac

When I was demoing I didn't see the point in Two15 either, One15 is more than enough if you like the sound. On a side note, Classifieds monitor section seem to be dominated by Amphions lately, really curious why...
Gear Nut

Did you demo the One18s?
I'm not sure whether to go for the 15 or 18!
Keep seeing a mixed back go reviews...
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Got One12s arriving tomorrow to go 80cm angled up to me on the desk bridge that will be paired with the Geithain midfields. Haven't worked on other Amphions so I won't be able to offer a comparison but I'll report back in case my opinion is of use to anyone
Gear Nut

Definitely report back!
Reply to one of my comments with the feedback.
I’m looking to get myself some Amphions in the next week or two
Gear Nut

Are there any cheap but decent amps that would pair well with the Amphions?
Think they are 2x350W 8ohm...
Dunno if I wanna shell out over £1000 for an amp just yet...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Did you demo the One18s?
I'm not sure whether to go for the 15 or 18!
Keep seeing a mixed back go reviews...
The One18 sound characteristic has the image coming from behind the speaker, very big presentation.

The One15 has the sound coming almost like headphones, from the speaker straight to your ear.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000 ➡️
When I was demoing I didn't see the point in Two15 either, One15 is more than enough if you like the sound. On a side note, Classifieds monitor section seem to be dominated by Amphions lately, really curious why...
Maybe because the Dmax supercubes are the flavor of the month. Im going to order a pair myself and see if I still need my amphions
Gear Nut

Would you say One15 are better for mixing?
Maybe even better in general
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Would you say One15 are better for mixing?
Maybe even better in general
I personally think so, many others would agree as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I enjoy your posts Ward, no disrespect intended and full disclosure, as of December, after years of research, I am running Genelec 8341s.

Genelec offerings are numerous, there is consistent new innovation, in 2021, I would not dismiss or characterize Genelec by one line or model. In my fully treated small room, with GLM, over the first 30 days, the 8341s are everything I hoped. I can hear very well, mixes are translating and I enjoy the listening experience very much. Highly recommend The Ones with GLM 4.

Quote:
A wise man who has mixed many more albums than I have once said, Genelecs are great for reviewing your mixes on, but not great for making those mixes on.
📝 Reply