The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High end nearfield test
Old 15th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3901
Lives for gear
 
sax512's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
I love the way some fellas take the piss out of others around here. LOL . . . I knew I should have made popcorn!
Just a joke
Lighten up.
Old 15th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3902
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax512 ➡️
Just a joke
Lighten up.
Calm down, man! Chill, please!


By the way the "LOL" indicates joking was occurring and that both parties were aware.
Old 17th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3903
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
I've never heard the bigger 50's which everyone says is their best monitor. I heard the 45s at the dealer and didn't care for them either. From everything I've read I'm someone who'd probably love the 20 or the 50.
I mean if you’re willing to pay 15 grand for the 50s, you might as well get their best of the best (150s, regardless of your room situation I’d argue).
Old 17th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3904
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
I might just put the Neumanns up on the shelf and get a pair of the CLA NS10s for a change.

Bring on the ear fatigue!
Don’t forget the Kleenex.
Old 17th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3905
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfghdhr ➡️
Don’t forget the Kleenex.
LOL . . . that isn't lost on me!! I can all too well remember mixing on NS10Ms and how much ear fatigue came with that endeavor.

The CLA10s don't have quite as much of that.
Old 23rd January 2021
  #3906
Gear Nut
 
For mixing purposes, which monitor would fair better, Genelec 8340 or Amphion One18?
And why...
Old 24th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3907
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Amphion One18s are better.
Why? SOS review says so

One 18 CONS:
-A good power amplifier is required.
-Nothing else.

Genelec cons:

-Low-frequency group delay and overhang affects bass character.
-Slight lack of mid-range clarity.

So basically the cons of the Genelec are the bass and the midrange plus, if you’re a soft dome tweeter guy, then the other con of Genelec is the treble

Obviously ymmv and it’s worth trying them out if you can.
Old 24th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3908
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey ➡️
Amphion One18s are better.
Why? SOS review says so

One 18 CONS:
-A good power amplifier is required.
-Nothing else.

Genelec cons:

-Low-frequency group delay and overhang affects bass character.
-Slight lack of mid-range clarity.

So basically the cons of the Genelec are the bass and the midrange plus, if you’re a soft dome tweeter guy, then the other con of Genelec is the treble

Obviously ymmv and it’s worth trying them out if you can.
A wise man who has mixed many more albums than I have once said, Genelecs are great for reviewing your mixes on, but not great for making those mixes on.
Old 24th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3909
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCav ➡️
For mixing purposes, which monitor would fair better, Genelec 8340 or Amphion One18?
And why...
For who? You have to try them to answer that. For me I wouldn't fight you over either one of those to be honest. Like my one15's a lot, but the 18 didn't ring the bell for me. And those Genny's are not for me either. But this is about speakers for you, so that is all by the by here
Old 24th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3910
Gear Nut
 
Why do you prefer the One15 over the 18?
Old 24th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3911
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCav ➡️
Why do you prefer the One15 over the 18?
Because for me the 5" driver works with that tweeter in a seamless way and also because they throw the sound at me, as opposed to the 18, where the image lives behind the speakers. Also 18's look like 'normalnearfields' but to me they lie, they want placing more like mid fields and wide apart, room permitting, to image at their best.
Old 24th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3912
Gear Nut
 
I’ve seen someone say the exact same about the 15s.
What would you say is the lowest freq they play accurately?
Would they pair nicely with the Amphion sub or do you think they are better suited as just a smaller monitor?

The Amphion website doesn’t specify a huge low freq diff between the 15 and the 18.
Old 24th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3913
Gear Addict
 
ashmundo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Because for me the 5" driver works with that tweeter in a seamless way and also because they throw the sound at me, as opposed to the 18, where the image lives behind the speakers. Also 18's look like 'normalnearfields' but to me they lie, they want placing more like mid fields and wide apart, room permitting, to image at their best.
What distance are you running the 15s at? I was told in the Amphion thread that 1.6m would be too far away. I prefer the idea of the 15s from what I’ve read from yourself and other users to pair with my Geithains. Interested in another users opinion on distance
Old 24th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3914
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCav ➡️
I’ve seen someone say the exact same about the 15s.
What would you say is the lowest freq they play accurately?
Would they pair nicely with the Amphion sub or do you think they are better suited as just a smaller monitor?

The Amphion website doesn’t specify a huge low freq diff between the 15 and the 18.
They somehow do a weird thing. Technically they only reproduce sound to about 50 something. But they let me root around in sub pretty much all the way down and get feedback that makes decisions that translate. Don't ask how. I bet adding the amphion sub would be amazing but haven't tried as a little rich for my blood.
Old 24th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3915
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmundo ➡️
What distance are you running the 15s at? I was told in the Amphion thread that 1.6m would be too far away. I prefer the idea of the 15s from what I’ve read from yourself and other users to pair with my Geithains. Interested in another users opinion on distance
I haven't measured of late but guessing about 120 or less? I used to have them 98 apart tweeter to tweeter, but now I think they are about 110 or so, can't remember. A little toed, but not looking right at me. I wouldn't necessarily agree that 1.60 is too far, depends on the room. They kind of want a fairly tight room, as in a bigger, loose one they just die and fizzle away into nothing. Like something to lean on from the room. And once they do they also make a great image at 160 I would say. Maybe not much further though.
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3916
Gear Nut
 
What would you say are the benefits of the Two15s over the One15s?
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3917
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCav ➡️
What would you say are the benefits of the Two15s over the One15s?
Can't tell ya, never tried the two15. By from what I hear it's 'more of the same' and also maybe a little more low mids.
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3918
Gear Addict
 
ashmundo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
I haven't measured of late but guessing about 120 or less? I used to have them 98 apart tweeter to tweeter, but now I think they are about 110 or so, can't remember. A little toed, but not looking right at me. I wouldn't necessarily agree that 1.60 is too far, depends on the room. They kind of want a fairly tight room, as in a bigger, loose one they just die and fizzle away into nothing. Like something to lean on from the room. And once they do they also make a great image at 160 I would say. Maybe not much further though.
Thanks for sharing. My rooms pretty tight with lots of trapping so that’s encouraging.
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3919
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Get a pair of Genelec 8351, they are awesome !!
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3920
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCav ➡️
What would you say are the benefits of the Two15s over the One15s?
The two15 are cool but didn't make sense to me, the one15 is a great mix monitor as is, Not really a need imo for a second woofer.
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3921
Gear Maniac
 
6000's Avatar
 
When I was demoing I didn't see the point in Two15 either, One15 is more than enough if you like the sound. On a side note, Classifieds monitor section seem to be dominated by Amphions lately, really curious why...
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3922
Gear Nut
 
Did you demo the One18s?
I'm not sure whether to go for the 15 or 18!
Keep seeing a mixed back go reviews...
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3923
Gear Addict
 
ashmundo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Got One12s arriving tomorrow to go 80cm angled up to me on the desk bridge that will be paired with the Geithain midfields. Haven't worked on other Amphions so I won't be able to offer a comparison but I'll report back in case my opinion is of use to anyone
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3924
Gear Nut
 
Definitely report back!
Reply to one of my comments with the feedback.
I’m looking to get myself some Amphions in the next week or two
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3925
Gear Nut
 
Are there any cheap but decent amps that would pair well with the Amphions?
Think they are 2x350W 8ohm...
Dunno if I wanna shell out over £1000 for an amp just yet...
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3926
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCav ➡️
Did you demo the One18s?
I'm not sure whether to go for the 15 or 18!
Keep seeing a mixed back go reviews...
The One18 sound characteristic has the image coming from behind the speaker, very big presentation.

The One15 has the sound coming almost like headphones, from the speaker straight to your ear.
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3927
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000 ➡️
When I was demoing I didn't see the point in Two15 either, One15 is more than enough if you like the sound. On a side note, Classifieds monitor section seem to be dominated by Amphions lately, really curious why...
Maybe because the Dmax supercubes are the flavor of the month. Im going to order a pair myself and see if I still need my amphions
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3928
Gear Nut
 
Would you say One15 are better for mixing?
Maybe even better in general
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3929
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCav ➡️
Would you say One15 are better for mixing?
Maybe even better in general
I personally think so, many others would agree as well.
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
  #3930
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I enjoy your posts Ward, no disrespect intended and full disclosure, as of December, after years of research, I am running Genelec 8341s.

Genelec offerings are numerous, there is consistent new innovation, in 2021, I would not dismiss or characterize Genelec by one line or model. In my fully treated small room, with GLM, over the first 30 days, the 8341s are everything I hoped. I can hear very well, mixes are translating and I enjoy the listening experience very much. Highly recommend The Ones with GLM 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
A wise man who has mixed many more albums than I have once said, Genelecs are great for reviewing your mixes on, but not great for making those mixes on.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 53 views: 24787
Avatar for StudioLogic
StudioLogic 3rd January 2018
replies: 70 views: 14805
Avatar for RKrizman
RKrizman 19th July 2011
replies: 269 views: 55821
Avatar for Glenn Bucci
Glenn Bucci 13th December 2020
replies: 8765 views: 1337127
Avatar for stevesolum
stevesolum 1 week ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump