The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High end nearfield test
Old 22nd September 2019
  #3451
Lives for gear
 
dotl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Better for what?
For precise monitoring the high frequency range, what else?!
Old 23rd September 2019
  #3452
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl View Post
For precise monitoring the high frequency range, what else?!
Well, 'better bass' isn't very clear. The PSI will go loudest without breaking up by far, the one15 have a limit you will find and the 906 break up early. That is one angle on reality. Then there is the amount of actual bass you get into the room, the PSI might win there too, and if you're talking amount of clean bass the one15 is second. And then there is how useful the information in the bass is for making decisions. And there, for me the amphion slays both the other two. So, there.
Old 23rd September 2019
  #3453
Lives for gear
 
dotl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Well, 'better bass' isn't very clear. The PSI will go loudest without breaking up by far, the one15 have a limit you will find and the 906 break up early. That is one angle on reality. Then there is the amount of actual bass you get into the room, the PSI might win there too, and if you're talking amount of clean bass the one15 is second. And then there is how useful the information in the bass is for making decisions. And there, for me the amphion slays both the other two. So, there.
Thank you!

Yes, i guess usefulness is the most important thing here. I need a relatively small monitor for sound design and im torn between these 3: One15, PSIa17m and RL906. I don’t need them to go louder than 85 dBs anyway, so regarding how loud they can go all 3 are good enough. For bass, im satisfied with the range of upto 45-50 hz.
What i need is a precise signal representation in near field monitoring for the money at moderate listening levels. Lowest bass i can check on my headphones.
Old 23rd September 2019
  #3454
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl View Post
Thank you!

Yes, i guess usefulness is the most important thing here. I need a relatively small monitor for sound design and im torn between these 3: One15, PSIa17m and RL906. I don’t need them to go louder than 85 dBs anyway, so regarding how loud they can go all 3 are good enough. For bass, im satisfied with the range of upto 45-50 hz.
What i need is a precise signal representation in near field monitoring for the money at moderate listening levels. Lowest bass i can check on my headphones.
No, what you need is a dealer who will let you take them to try at yours and do actual work on them. Then you'll know which one suits you. The rest is guessing.
Old 23rd September 2019
  #3455
Lives for gear
 
dotl's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
No, what you need is a dealer who will let you take them to try at yours and do actual work on them. Then you'll know which one suits you. The rest is guessing.
I agree! But, until then...
Gearslutz - From dusk till dawn 137

Really, im not asking for objectivity.
Old 23rd September 2019
  #3456
Gear Addict
 
syncussion's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl View Post
I agree! But, until then...
Gearslutz - From dusk till dawn 137

Really, im not asking for objectivity.
Never having heard the PSI A17M, it doesn't look like a great design. Has a 7" polypropylene woofer taken up to 3kHz. Won't be nearly as linear as for instance the aluminium 5" woofer taken to 1.6kHz of the Amphion.
Also, not an expert on waveguides, but that doesn't look like much of a waveguide on the A17M and I've often seen bad measuring results of a tweeter mounted from the back with a chamfer like that. (and if fr corrected on-axis the off-axis will suffer badly)
Also a 7" will be quite directional by the time it reaches 3kHz resulting in bad off-axis. If you're not in an anechoic room this matters, often a great deal.
Should have much more bass than the Amphion 5" though, but for bass quality cone stiffness and the quality of the motor and suspension matters and you don't know this untill you measure distortion etc at higher SPL.
Old 23rd September 2019
  #3457
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncussion View Post
Never having heard the PSI A17M, it doesn't look like a great design. Has a 7" polypropylene woofer taken up to 3kHz. Won't be nearly as linear as for instance the aluminium 5" woofer taken to 1.6kHz of the Amphion.
Also, not an expert on waveguides, but that doesn't look like much of a waveguide on the A17M and I've often seen bad measuring results of a tweeter mounted from the back with a chamfer like that. (and if fr corrected on-axis the off-axis will suffer badly)
Also a 7" will be quite directional by the time it reaches 3kHz resulting in bad off-axis. If you're not in an anechoic room this matters, often a great deal.
Should have much more bass than the Amphion 5" though, but for bass quality cone stiffness and the quality of the motor and suspension matters and you don't know this untill you measure distortion etc at higher SPL.
Won't get much distortion from PSI's.....they have a weird driver compensation thing where the bass driver actually never looks like it moves at all. I didn't get on with that, need my cones moving.
Old 24th September 2019
  #3458
Lives for gear
 
dotl's Avatar
 

Yes, test results for the a17m looks good!

http://downloads.psiaudio.com/studio...S_techdata.pdf
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump