All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High end nearfield test
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
did you know Ianis Xenakis ?
maybe not,

but he did know Iannis Xenakis, possibly Milton Babbitt as well...
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
maybe not,

but he did know Iannis Xenakis, possibly Milton Babbitt as well...
I forgot a n in Iannis. I do not know Milton Babbitt, but I will correct this oversight.
Old 2nd May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
did you know Ianis Xenakis ?
not my cup of tea More of a Musique Concrete guy myself.
Anyway objective measurements are generally confirmed by subjective listening tests.
Old 2nd May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
not my cup of tea More of a Musique Concrete guy myself.
Anyway objective measurements are generally confirmed by subjective listening tests.
Hello,

For me :no but i know people who have the capacity.

I prefer use my ear for the music and the measurement for the speaker.

Last edited by dinococcus; 2nd May 2016 at 04:09 PM..
Old 12th June 2016
Lives for gear

btw, i did a test mixing two or three songs with jbl 708, Genelec 8351, Amphions One18 and Two15. Funny the One15 (with bypassable sub) are what are finally coming my way. Would have loved what the OP thinks about the 8351 and its dps, and about the 708 and its dsp. But just for curiosity´s sake. I am very positive about what i chose for my room and mix style but let´s see in a year or two

again, thanks a lot to all contributors of this great thread
Old 19th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Has anyone used Ocean Way Audio HR4? I'll borrow the demo unit next week.
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoe View Post
Has anyone used Ocean Way Audio HR4? I'll borrow the demo unit next week.
I have heard nothing but great things! Please report back with your take on them when you can
Old 20th June 2016

btw, how is mm12 compared with other big thingy?
Old 23rd June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx View Post
I have heard nothing but great things! Please report back with your take on them when you can
Yep, I'm just enjoying the demo unit now.
First impression, incredible Near / Midfield speaker. I have been using the S3X-V, had rented a Two18 of Amphion until last month.

S3X was a good speaker, but there has been a problem the precision of the mid and low. Two18 is It was very accurate low-frequency, sound was a very good impression.

Features of HR4 is in its enclosure. The enclosure is heavy and it is strong. To it by the low end is extremely tight, wonderfully accurate, there is no extra articfact sound. Amazing build quality.
Horn style is contributing to the spread of the large sweet spot and space. For this reason, the sound is somewhat distinctive. Though there is an impression, such as mid and center is out separately, at first confused, but accustomed to soon. Concomitantly, there is a little characteristic sound to mid-range. Anyway, the low-end of HR4 is, I do not think the speaker of this size.

HR4 is 3D-ish and detailed. I've completely loved. The most excellent one in the Near / Midfield speaker I've ever heard. IMHO, Two18 and HR4 is the most modern speaker now. I next month supposed to again borrow the Two18. So, I'll buy HR4 or Two18. Alternatively, the HR4 "and" One18.
Old 25th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, I'm just enjoying the demo unit now.
First impression, incredible Near / Midfield speaker. I have been using the S3X-V, had rented a Two18 of Amphion until last month.

S3X was a good speaker, but there has been a problem the precision of the mid and low. Two18 is It was very accurate low-frequency, sound was a very good impression.

Features of HR4 is in its enclosure. The enclosure is heavy and it is strong. To it by the low end is extremely tight, wonderfully accurate, there is no extra articfact sound. Amazing build quality.
Horn style is contributing to the spread of the large sweet spot and space. For this reason, the sound is somewhat distinctive. Though there is an impression, such as mid and center is out separately, at first confused, but accustomed to soon. Concomitantly, there is a little characteristic sound to mid-range. Anyway, the low-end of HR4 is, I do not think the speaker of this size.

HR4 is 3D-ish and detailed. I've completely loved. The most excellent one in the Near / Midfield speaker I've ever heard. IMHO, Two18 and HR4 is the most modern speaker now. I next month supposed to again borrow the Two18. So, I'll buy HR4 or Two18. Alternatively, the HR4 "and" One18.
very interested on your findings!
Old 25th June 2016
Lives for gear

Anyone testing speakers here in the Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland area??
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Maniac

I tested Two18 again. Let's briefly summarizes the characteristics....

HR4
- Amazing, huge 3Dish sound scape.
- Powerfull and big lowend.
- Sound comes "jumped" from the Horn,

Two18
- Extremely silence(Great SPL and S/N).
- More tight Lowend.

I am comparing the 2Way unit. It may be different on 3Way. The lowend of HR4 is huger. Two18 is a little small low, but it is more tight and clear. HR4 has the characteristics of the horn speaker. So, it sounds the way of mid and high is quite different Two18.
The difference in the size of low frequency may be due the size of the woofer unit. Therefore, if I be added to BaseOne25 to Amphion, there is a possibility to be more huge sound.

With HR4, surrounded by the sound. It is similar to the large speakers. Two18 is a typical monitor speakers. HR4 and Two18 can coexist. Although expensive.

Both of which are great speakers of the same grade. I'm seriously considering to buy HR4 with One18
Old 28th July 2016
Gear Maniac

I purchased a HR4

I'm going to buy the One18 or 15 as a sub-monitor. Amphion monitor is a great detail of when play at low volume. It does not have any noise in passive due. HR4 is great when play at high volume!
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I purchased a HR4

I'm going to buy the One18 or 15 as a sub-monitor. Amphion monitor is a great detail of when play at low volume. It does not have any noise in passive due. HR4 is great when play at high volume!
Interesting. I just seen this post as a link from your other post. Did you also purchase the subs with the hr4? Have you compared to various models from barefoot?
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Interesting. I just seen this post as a link from your other post. Did you also purchase the subs with the hr4? Have you compared to various models from barefoot?
Hello LuXx, I previously sent you a PM. To quote from there.

>I have tested the Barefoot. MM27 felt me just a little unnaturally. It wasn't the big difference, but that wasn't the best for me.

My HR4 and One18 is 2Way. It does not have to add a subwoofer. The reason that I have to add the One18 is because great small monitor and placed in the friends of the studio.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello LuXx, I previously sent you a PM. To quote from there.

>I have tested the Barefoot. MM27 felt me just a little unnaturally. It wasn't the big difference, but that wasn't the best for me.

My HR4 and One18 is 2Way. It does not have to add a subwoofer. The reason that I have to add the One18 is because great small monitor and placed in the friends of the studio.
AH yes I remember. I know they sell a version with the subs, so you are happy without the subs? The model with no subs costs the same as the barefoot mm45 I believe.
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
AH yes I remember. I know they sell a version with the subs, so you are happy without the subs? The model with no subs costs the same as the barefoot mm45 I believe.
I have never heard the MM45 but I like HR4 than the MM27.

I am satisfied with HR4 of 2Way. My studio's width is about 20ft x 20ft, the subwoofer does not require.
However, I recommend that you carefully consider the purchase of HR4. Your client might hate the horn speaker. In addition you need a little time to get used to.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have never heard the MM45 but I like HR4 than the MM27.

I am satisfied with HR4 of 2Way. My studio's width is about 20ft x 20ft, the subwoofer does not require.
However, I recommend that you carefully consider the purchase of HR4. Your client might hate the horn speaker. In addition you need a little time to get used to.
I understand. Yes when I hear the word horn I think of Augspurger which some I love and some not so much.
Old 2nd January 2017
d_r
Here for the gear
Hey guys,
very nice thread! I hope im right here but i would like to ask for your advise. I`m currently using a pair of Neumann KH120 (which im gonna sell) and im searching for an upgrade. My favourite would be the ME Geithain RL 934K or 901k but theese are too expencive for me at the moment.
The obvious step would be to get the Neumann KH310. For about the same price i could get a used pair of Studer A5s, the predecessor of the PSI A25-M. I would be the third owner and they dont look as they were treated well (pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s2qrhi7eh..._Rztg-7da?dl=0). Also the midrange suspension got replaced after a physical damage. Beside that the seller says they work perfectly. Do you think the sound of the Studers worth the risk of having a ruind looking old speaker with now warranty and also probably less chances to resell them at a good price in the future?
looking forward to your thoughts!
Daniel
Old 2nd January 2017
I would say go to Just Music in Berlin and have a listen to the KS Digital D-606 for something with a different set of strengths compared to the Neuman KH-120 and KH 310. Take a recording with good bass; I think the bass was exceptional on those, although other aspects were not so convincing—but my audition circumstance was not ideal, so difficult to say. The price is halfway between the 120 and the 310.
Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_r View Post
Hey guys,
very nice thread! I hope im right here but i would like to ask for your advise. I`m currently using a pair of Neumann KH120 (which im gonna sell) and im searching for an upgrade. My favourite would be the ME Geithain RL 934K or 901k but theese are too expencive for me at the moment.
The obvious step would be to get the Neumann KH310. For about the same price i could get a used pair of Studer A5s, the predecessor of the PSI A25-M. I would be the third owner and they dont look as they were treated well (pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s2qrhi7eh..._Rztg-7da?dl=0). Also the midrange suspension got replaced after a physical damage. Beside that the seller says they work perfectly. Do you think the sound of the Studers worth the risk of having a ruind looking old speaker with now warranty and also probably less chances to resell them at a good price in the future?
looking forward to your thoughts!
Daniel
The Geithain RL 944K are slightly cheaper - but the Cardioid cabinets are not cheap to build - but are well worth it.

I upgraded from the forerunner of the KH120 (the K+H O110) to the RL906 and now use the RL944K as my mainmonitors.

Talk to Geithain and, maybe, have a listen in thiir listening room (not that far from Berlin) as the non-cardioid range may suit at a lower price - and the sound of the Geithain monitors is the same across the range. I compared the 906, 944K and 901K and they sound virtually the same, other than bass extension.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

RL906 here with a cheapish but adequate sub -not using its crossover circuity aka no muddying of the main signal- at will.

Matti
Old 3rd January 2017
d_r
Here for the gear
Has anyone compared the Studer A5 directly to the PSI A25-M?

Thanks for your answers!
@ Russell Dawkins : I`ll give theese KS Digitals a listen but i`ve heard they have a huge latency due to their digital processing which would make them unusable for me as i play some VSTs/AUs live from time to time ...

@ John Willett : At the moment i`m optimising my room and will do some meassurements to see if i need that K-thing or something like the PSI AVAA. I hope i can make my room work without because if not i have to save some more money or find a really good eBay-offer. Bass extension (fullrange but precise, hopefully less muddy than e.g. the Neumann) is quite important for me. Did you compared the Geithain to the PSI or other speakers or did you had to choose the K-series because of bass problems in your room?

@ Matti : have you tried that? I cant believe a high quality speaker like the Geithains can benefit from a cheap sub (no phase problems?) but maybe i`m wrong. My plans were to get something fullrange or if i dont find a good offer somethig fitting like the PSI A17 + the PSI sub.

Has anyone compared the Studer A5 directly to the PSI A25-M? At the moment the Studers would cost me about 3000€ the pair but if the seller reduces his price maybe that would be the best sound for the money even if they really look not well treated i wouldn`t usually buy speakers in that condition ...

Last edited by d_r; 3rd January 2017 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: e
Old 3rd January 2017
Quote:
Has anyone compared the Studer A5 directly to the PSI A25-M? At the moment the Studers would cost me about 3000€ the pair but if the seller reduces his price maybe that would be the best sound for the money even if they really look not well treated i wouldn`t usually buy speakers in that condition ...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11378456-post3.html
Old 3rd January 2017
d_r
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
Thanks for that link! I saw the thread but to me the only information i can see in there is that the PSI A25-M is the improved version of the Studer A5. My question would be how big the difference is sonlically, since i don`t have the chance to compare them side by side. Of course i would prefer the PSIs but i could get the used Studers a lot cheaper...

On the other hand i don`t wan`t to make too much compromises so maybe its better to get something like the KH310 which i can sell for nearly the same price a few years later to get new PSI, Geithain, etc. when i have the budget for it. Another option would be the Sky Audio Verdade. I would also be very interersted in any opinion to this speaker, especially compared to the PSIs ...
Old 3rd January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for your answers!

@ John Willett : At the moment i`m optimising my room and will do some meassurements to see if i need that K-thing or something like the PSI AVAA. I hope i can make my room work without because if not i have to save some more money or find a really good eBay-offer. Bass extension (fullrange but precise, hopefully less muddy than e.g. the Neumann) is quite important for me. Did you compared the Geithain to the PSI or other speakers or did you had to choose the K-series because of bass problems in your room?
I chose the Geithain because of the sound quality and the fact that the co-axial design gives a superb stereo image and depth and the Cardioid certainly gives a cleaner bass end as the reflections from the back wall that so often muddy the bass end are minimised.

PSI are also good, of course.

But monitors come down to what works best for you and I wanted accuracy.

The RK930 and RL930K both go down to 38Hz - the K version is about £1,000 cheaper than the 944K and the non-K vesrion cheaper again and could be within budget.

Geithain is within easy travelling distance from Berlin, so it's certainly worth going and having a listen with stuff you know.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Crazy, that this thread is still alive...
If you are in Berlin do yourself a favour and try the Kirsch Audios as well. The german studio magazin praise them at least equal to the Verdade which is one of their favourite speakers even compared to much more expensive once. Most passive speakers will profit from a high quality poweramp of course, but this is something you could use for an upgrade in the future.
Not one of the easiest speaker to learn, but very honest and transparent sounding.
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Im quite curious, has anyone compared the Amphion one15 to the Kef LS50?
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

I've heard the LS50s numerous times and thought they sounded like average affordable hifi speakers to be honest...
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

LS50's sound fantastic, great cohesion all round. I enjoy listening to them more than my ATC's.
But they probably sound too good. Nice as a reference, not sure about having them as main monitors.
They don't go very low too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search