The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High end nearfield test
Old 13th July 2015
Here for the gear

I would certainly like to see a test to find out what they can really do.
Old 13th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Prince View Post
Also, I found one gearslutz user post about them, saying that they claim even Amphion users have moved to their speakers :
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10897710-post19.html
I find this highly circumspect, where are the reports of Amphion users switching to these monitors( Audiofilia)? I read the reviews (of Audiofilia ) and they were all hi fi reviews , unless you want to call that Pro Audio web blog review a Pro Audio review? Though he talked in very hi fi terms.
Nor did I see any measurement let alone claims they reached into the sub 20hz region.
Plus the one GS member I saw posting about them has not even tried or used Amphion's!

Last edited by Dpro; 15th July 2015 at 07:32 PM..
Old 14th July 2015
Gear Addict

WOW !!!!! page 100
Old 14th July 2015
Gear Addict

WOW ! Page 100
Old 15th July 2015
Gear Addict

page 101
Old 15th July 2015
Gear Addict

dang.
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
I find this highly circumspect, where are the reports of Amphion users switching to these monitors( Audiofilia)? I read the reviews (of Audiofilia ) and they were all hi fi reviews , unless you want to call that Pro Audio web blog review a Pro Audio review? Though he talked in very hi fi terms.
Nor did I see any measurement let alone claims they reached into the sub 20hz religion.
Plus the one GS member I saw posting about them has not even tried or used Amphion's!
Talked to the distributor yesterday.
I could arrange a demo soon - Audiofilia are made not too far away from my place.
If someone could throw in a pair of Amphions Two18 we would have a nice test of Amphions / Audiofilia / B&W801 at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
Nor did I see any measurement let alone claims they reached into the sub 20hz religion.
yeah, sub 20hz is a matter of faith...!

Last edited by Lupez; 15th July 2015 at 11:44 AM..
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
Talked to the distributor yesterday.
I could arrange a demo soon - Audiofilia are made not too far away from my place.
If someone could throw in a pair of Amphions Two18 we would have a nice test of Amphions / Audiofilia / B&W801 at once!

yeah, sub 20hz is a matter of faith...!
That would be interesting and ya typos happen when your on tablets. Lol did that just sound like a drug reference?
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot View Post
All the major Grammy winning music, including engineering, in the last year used Lipinski.
I bet more grammy winning records were made using NS10's. Does that make them better than Lipinskis?
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I bet more grammy winning records were made using NS10's. Does that make them better than Lipinskis?
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Boom! Karloff with the smack down

(And I'm sure this is true... I don't know of any pro who uses Lipinskis other than mastering guys).
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
Does Audiophilia's explanation of how their 'S System' works make you curious about their speakers?
The two paragraphs titled "How it works" represent some of the most outrageous nonsense (to be very polite) disguised as technical fact I have read in ages. Not a single sentence makes sense.

Audiofilia - AF-Speakers, High-end Loudspeakers

The text reminds me of Machina Dynamica which is targeted at audiophiles, not audio engineers.
Audio Tweaks, Damping, Vibration Isolation, Room Acoustics, Crystals
This is unbelievable.

The
"How It Works"
and the
"Why AF speakers don't mount drivers "flush" of the cabinet?"
paragraphs are the biggest, pseudoscientific BS if have ever read.

But then it makes perfect sense that they also haave the section
"Why Audiofilia don't publish graphs and measures of its speakers ?"

This is a borderline scam.
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_degree View Post
This is unbelievable.

The
"How It Works"
and the
"Why AF speakers don't mount drivers "flush" of the cabinet?"
paragraphs are the biggest, pseudoscientific BS if have ever read.

But then it makes perfect sense that they also haave the section
"Why Audiofilia don't publish graphs and measures of its speakers ?"

This is a borderline scam.
seriously, 20hz with a 6 inch woofer is a lie.
even flat to 30hz is impossible with a 6 inch if the cabinet is small. the amount of distortion for a 6 inch to do even 30hz at 90db will be enormous.
Old 17th July 2015
Here for the gear

I finally took delivery of my Geithain RL944Ks yesterday. After living with a set of RL940s for just over a year (which I loved), I really have to say I'm completely blown away and shocked at how the RL944Ks sound. These things are everything I could ever want in a monitor, and more!! I was expecting that they would be noticeably better than the RL940s, but I wasn't expecting it to be like this! Incredibly revealing, deep subs and smooth rich sounding highs - and the amazing Geithain 3D soundstage. If anyone reading this has ever contemplated getting your hands on a set of these, I whole heartedly encourage you to do it - you won't be disappointed!!! I honestly can't put into words how incredible these things sound. Immediately I can hear where mixes I've been working on can be improved. I'm also shocked at how low they go, it sounds like there's a separate sub in the room! They're smooth and non-fatiguing even at higher volumes, and they seem to handle everything with ease.

Now I just need to go back and remix everything I've ever done......LOL

Very thankful for this thread, I would never have known about these monitors otherwise. Hoping to supplement these with a pair of Amphion One18s, excited to hear those as well....

A big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread!!! :-)
Old 17th July 2015
Here for the gear

++++

Last edited by Tone Ranger; 17th July 2015 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Sorry, double post
Old 17th July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
I finally took delivery of my Geithain RL944Ks yesterday. After living with a set of RL940s for just over a year (which I loved), I really have to say I'm completely blown away and shocked at how the RL944Ks sound. These things are everything I could ever want in a monitor, and more!! I was expecting that they would be noticeably better than the RL940s, but I wasn't expecting it to be like this! Incredibly revealing, deep subs and smooth rich sounding highs - and the amazing Geithain 3D soundstage. If anyone reading this has ever contemplated getting your hands on a set of these, I whole heartedly encourage you to do it - you won't be disappointed!!! I honestly can't put into words how incredible these things sound. Immediately I can hear where mixes I've been working on can be improved. I'm also shocked at how low they go, it sounds like there's a separate sub in the room! They're smooth and non-fatiguing even at higher volumes, and they seem to handle everything with ease.
My new RL944K arrived this week as well

I went for the "birdseye maple" version - I took this picture just after I unboxed them.

Attached Thumbnails
High end nearfield test-rl944k_front-back_reduced.jpg  

Last edited by John Willett; 17th July 2015 at 08:46 PM..
Old 18th July 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
My new RL944K arrived this week as well

I went for the "birdseye maple" version - I took this picture just after I unboxed them.

Wow, those look beautiful!!! I just got the standard black :-)
Old 18th July 2015
Gear Addict

Anyone heard the new Augspurger Duo 8's?

Old 18th July 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post

Now I just need to go back and remix everything I've ever done......LOL

Very thankful for this thread, I would never have known about these monitors otherwise. Hoping to supplement these with a pair of Amphion One18s, excited to hear those as well....

A big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread!!! :-)
Congratulations, the rl944 are my dream speaker. I work with mo2 and rl901, and heared the rl944 only in an exhibition environment, but they are stunning, for small to normal sized rooms. I would like to get the rl944k1, same size like the mo2, but sound like the rl901 (if the room is not too big).

Last edited by kabelton; 18th July 2015 at 02:12 PM..
Old 18th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabelton View Post
Congratulations, the rl944 are my dream speaker. I work with mo2 and rl901, and heared the rl944 only in an exhibition environment, but they are stunning, for small to normal sized rooms. I would like to get the rl944k1, same size like the mo2, but sound like the rl901 (if the room is not too big).
How big is your room? I guess the rl901 has a much bigger thump compared to rl944?
Looking at the suggested listening distances rl901 is mid-mainfield monitor, rl944 is near field.
Old 18th July 2015
Lives for gear

1.5m is ok with 901k, they sound coherent at that distance. So you can make them work even in smaller rooms. Obviously it's overkill.
Old 18th July 2015
Gear Head

I didn't listen to the rl944 in a real room, but I compared them to the rl906 and it was like comparing the mo2 to the rl901... same overall impression but more room around the different elements. Hope that helps a bit.
Old 18th July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
1.5m is ok with 901k, they sound coherent at that distance. So you can make them work even in smaller rooms. Obviously it's overkill.
A friend uses the RL901K in a very small room, sitting only about 1.5 - 1.8m in front of them, and is absolutely delighted with them.

I am the opposite - I am using my RL944K close to the maximum distance of 2.6m

Oh - for the next few weeks there will a pair of the RL944K on demo at The Studio Shop in London (they also have a pair of the RL906 there).

Last edited by John Willett; 18th July 2015 at 05:36 PM..
Old 18th July 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabelton View Post
Thanks very much - my room isn't all that big, the speakers are about 7 feet away - just slightly further back than I had the RL940s. Very very happy.....

I'll bet those RL901s sound amazing.....
Old 20th July 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat87 View Post
seriously, 20hz with a 6 inch woofer is a lie.
even flat to 30hz is impossible with a 6 inch if the cabinet is small. the amount of distortion for a 6 inch to do even 30hz at 90db will be enormous.
If you think it's some alchemy, take a look over PMC AML speaker. They used Nomex 6 inch LF driver and its goes down to 33 hz at - 3 db. I'm not so sure but maybe PMC are the first one that supposed to invent such a technology and fit this low frequency range into a small box. Yes, it could be artificial but it's real and usable according to David's impressions with PMC AML 2.
Old 20th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRESH_STUDIO View Post
If you think it's some alchemy, take a look over PMC AML speaker. They used Nomex 6 inch LF driver and its goes down to 33 hz at - 3 db. I'm not so sure but maybe PMC are the first one that supposed to invent such a technology and fit this low frequency range into a small box. Yes, it could be artificial but it's real and usable according to David's impressions with PMC AML 2.
you cannot beat physics. maybe the pmc can go flat to 33hz but it wont be without problematic amount of distortion even at moderate spl.
Old 20th July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
The AML 2 has, unfortunately, been discontinured I hear (though The Studion Shop in London still have a pair for sale).
Old 21st July 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat87 View Post
you cannot beat physics. maybe the pmc can go flat to 33hz but it wont be without problematic amount of distortion even at moderate spl.
Will stay away to comment cause I've never had a chance to work with PMC AML, but maybe it's possible for almost 10 k a pair , although theoretical, distortion is impossible to be skipped. It's exist less or more /for sure using a proper driver and amp will help a lot to hit the score/ but either way, if you suppose somehow to keep distortion away - you're right there. I remember a song that was named "lullaby" and it was mixed by David exactly on AML2. This was one of the best sounding tune in the test, also PMC AML2 was priced very high, so if there was some artificial reproductions, they had to be announced on time .
Old 21st July 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The AML 2 has, unfortunately, been discontinured I hear (though The Studion Shop in London still have a pair for sale).
It's sad but maybe the maths on all parts, know how etc technology is high enough to keep this product on a line any longer. Maybe PMC count on new Twotwo line to fill the gap in between.
Old 21st July 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's sad but maybe the maths on all parts, know how etc technology is high enough to keep this product on a line any longer. Maybe PMC count on new Twotwo line to fill the gap in between.
The AML 2 was an expensive monitor to make and it *has* been replaced by the Two2 line.

But the AML 2 was a nice little beastie in the same way the ATC 20 Pro was (thought I did go for the Geithain RL944K myself).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search