The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann 149 used - price check
Old 29th June 2013
Here for the gear

Neumann 149 used - price check

A friend of mine is willing to sell me his excellent condition m-149 for under 3k.

Should I pull the trigger? I was about to buy the copperhead Telefunken for $1,300 but I have enough for the neumann. Thoughts?
Old 29th June 2013
Audio X
They typically sell used between $2700 and 3400. If he's a true friend he'll give you a better deal. gl
Old 29th June 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks!
Old 29th June 2013
Europa price,

used in good condition:
plus/minus 2500,00Euros = 3253,00Dollars

By the way, a definitely great mic.
Pull the trigger!

Hope this helps !

R.
Old 30th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacello View Post
...excellent condition m-149 for under 3k.
Anything under $3k for an M149 in excellent condition is quite a good price.

The copperhead will not touch an M149 IMO.
Old 30th June 2013
Lives for gear

If the mic is in excellent condition as you indicate, and this also means no excessive working hours, a price "under" 3k is a great occasion to get one of the best and most versatile mics in the market, taking into account all categories.

You can be sure you will not need another mic to achieve excellent recordings.
Old 30th June 2013
Here for the gear

I paid $7000 for my M149 - 5 years ago

I paid $7000 for my M149 - 5 years ago, and I have Never needed another. I have a home studio with SSL Comp and 2 Alpha channels and Rosetta and 20 UAD Plugins - in to PT10, and I am making great recordings.

I also have the 149 power supply which is huge to getting the Rich sounds. I would not be as happy without the Neumann Power Supply, as this is a big part of the 149 sound.

Have fun !!! JT
Old 30th June 2013

It's great to see a lot off satisfied Neumann M-149 users and adorers !

R.
Old 30th June 2013
Gear Maniac

Is Jubilee edition of M149 much more expensive or not? How I heard, these were only 500 units made...
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

I have noticed M149 prices wavering/dropping recently. They still come up at over the 3k range but I have been seeing a lot of them in the 2400-2800 range, one recently I saw @ 2200.. woulda jumped on that had I not just purchased another mic.

They are good mics, versatile on vocals and sound good on acoustic gtrs, very sensitive. I personally wouldnt pay 3k for one but thats just me. I personally think think its forte is on softer sources like medium to quiet vocals, acoustic gtrs, room mics.

The Copperhead and Neumann M149 are two different sounds. The M149 is brighter with more air around the notes and is more "sensitive" & hot sounding, Copperhead is more mellow. So factor that into your decision. Also worth noting is that the M149 is a transformerless design.
Old 1st July 2013
Gear Maniac

recent ebay selling prices in completed listings : $2450- $3000 for used m149's.
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Any opinions about M149 Jubilee edition price?
Old 10th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighEnd View Post
Any opinions about M149 Jubilee edition price?
I have a M149 Jubilee edition I am just about to put up for sale. Mint condition, serial #025

i compared it to 2 reglular m149's when I bought it and it was superior to the other 2 (same internal mic build I've been informed, i did like how it sounded more though) . Selling to get more mixing gear. I'll do some research on price for the jubilee, right now thinking in the 4k ish range

Last edited by andrew berlin; 10th October 2013 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: more accurate language
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew berlin View Post
I have a M149 Jubilee edition I am just about to put up for sale. Mint condition, serial #025

i compared it to 2 reglular m149's when I bought it and it was superior to the other 2.
Superior? Although more “luxurious” your M149 should sound exactly the same as any other M149 in good shape.
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDani View Post
Superior? Although more “luxurious” your M149 should sound exactly the same as any other M149 in good shape.
Not true!
Jubilee edition is technically built totally different power supply and tube section. More better- it is described on Neumann Germany official web by Neumann good known representative Martin Schneider.
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not true!
Jubilee edition is technically built totally different power supply and tube section. More better- it is described on Neumann Germany official web by Neumann good known representative Martin Schneider.
I’m afraid you are wrong. Find here below a copy of the 15/11/2004 email of Martin Schneider:

dear Mr. Taccone,
the jubilee edition has a platinum covered surface on the microphone, polished nickel on the elastic suspension.
Internally it is the same microphone.
And, the edition is limited to a maximum of 500 pcs.
Best regards,
Martin Schneider
Neumann Mic. Development

Anyway, the $4000 you’ve mentioned for your mic seems an attractive price.
Old 10th October 2013
Here for the gear

yea I'm not sure why I liked it more, we did blind A/Bs to my recollection, i just assumed each mic had it's own variation/color and I ended up liking the Jubilee out of the 3. We've particularly liked it on drums, vocals and acoustic guitar
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

I completely share your love for the M149. I have a couple of them that I've used a lot for vocals and drums overheads on my last CD.
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDani View Post
I’m afraid you are wrong. Find here below a copy of the 15/11/2004 email of Martin Schneider:

dear Mr. Taccone,
the jubilee edition has a platinum covered surface on the microphone, polished nickel on the elastic suspension.
Internally it is the same microphone.
And, the edition is limited to a maximum of 500 pcs.
Best regards,
Martin Schneider
Neumann Mic. Development

Anyway, the $4000 you’ve mentioned for your mic seems an attractive price.

Yes, mic itself is only with visual differences, but power supply is new vintage type, and it can make difference in sound. Just look on web or google there are spme resources about different power supply of m 149 jubilee.
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Nut

It´s a great mic for sure! For me, more useful than a flea 49 for example, eventhough that´s built more true to the vintage counterpart. Can have a bit of a plastic tone (for lack of a good verbal description) but always big and pleasant. Magic with the right singer, which´s perhaps true for every mic of course Def. worth its used price.

Quote:

Yes, mic itself is only with visual differences, but power supply is new vintage type, and it can make difference in sound. Just look on web or google there are spme resources about different power supply of m 149 jubilee.
I have the n149v psu and while it looks cooler, it´s the same switching psu inside, the rest is air. It is possible to get a custom linear psu of course. A. Grosser makes one zum beispiel.
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

The power supply of the Jubilee version in the N149V.

As far as I know the only difference between all M149 power supply are simply esthetical or related with voltage and sockets. I might be wrong.

In any case this is what Martin Schneider wrote on 05/04/2000 and on 11/11/2002:

Dear Mr. Mues,
the circuitry inside N149, current N149A, n149Vintage is identical. N149A and n149v are more comfortable in so far as they are all-mains-voltage versions, handling 90...265V ac, 50 + 60 Hz. And the looks differ, of course.
Best regards, Martin Schneider Neumann Mic. Development

Dear Mr. Newman,
all N149 supplies are electrically identical, so it's just a design thing.
Best regards, Martin Schneider Neumann Mic. Development

Could you let me know please where could I find this eventual differences on the Neumann website?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew berlin View Post

i compared it to 2 reglular m149's when I bought it and it was superior to the other 2 (same internal mic build I've been informed, i did like how it sounded more though) . Selling to get more mixing gear. I'll do some research on price for the jubilee, right now thinking in the 4k ish range
I sold my M149 for 2800.00 and regretted it ever since. If you decide to sell at 3000.00 I'll take it
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search