The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
studios w/echo chambers today
Old 8th September 2006
Gear Head

studios w/echo chambers today

This past spring I discovered to my frustration that there is not a single recording studio in the city of Chicago that has a live echo chamber. For future reference, i'd like to get an idea of what studios have them and where they are(USA). I know there are some in LA, Nashville, probably some in NY, etc. And please, I don't want to hear about plates, digital alternatives, etc., i'm not interested in them.
Old 8th September 2006
Ardent Studios here in Memphis has three good sized echo chambers.
Old 8th September 2006
Gear Nut

I will have one once my studio construction is complete. Unfortunately that probably won't be until early '08...

Bill
Old 8th September 2006
Gear Maniac

I amost had a heart attack when I heard the marble chamber at capitol in LA.
I think it was marble. Its one of those sounds I'm not about to forget.
I think they have 4 chambers there.

Cheers
Old 9th September 2006
Gear Guru

Not a chamber, but Electrical Audio in Chicago has speakers mounted in the live to use it for reverb.
Old 9th September 2006
Gear Maniac

henson has them, as well as cello, if you ever go to henson use the "white room" and the "tjb" room.
Old 9th September 2006
Lives for gear

The Neve room at Quad in Nashville has an echo chamber underneath it. I don't know if they have it set up or not. It wasn't used very often when I worked there. It's not a big deal to get it set up though. Just throw a speaker in there and a couple of mics. I messed around with it a bit while I worked there. Definitely a nice sound.
Old 9th September 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Not a chamber, but Electrical Audio in Chicago has speakers mounted in the live to use it for reverb.
That's where we recorded. We set up speakers in Studio B but what we got just wasn't "it." "It" being that rich, long-decay 60's L.A. reverb.
Old 9th September 2006
Lives for gear

Blackbird in Nashville has multiple echo chambers (I've seen at least 3). But, they have everything so that's no damn surprise.......
Old 9th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlc201 View Post
Blackbird in Nashville has multiple echo chambers (I've seen at least 3). But, they have everything so that's no damn surprise.......

Exactly, I'd be shocked if they didn't
Old 9th September 2006
Here for the gear

Sunset Sound. All 3 of their chambers are pure magic.
Old 9th September 2006
Lives for gear

i am building one here in nyc, but it keeps getting delayed, no pun intended......

the real question would be, how much will you, the consumer, spend to
work in a room with a lovingly built echo chamber ?

it is so hard to own, operate and maintain a real recording studio in

looking forward to the chamber......

on a side note, thinking i was buying a reference book, i purchased the
book "echo chambers" from amazon marketplace last year......it was $3....
it was a love-thriller-novel ! the previous owner put a round sticker on the cover
and wrote enjoy !...........

be well

- jack
Old 9th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Keen View Post
I amost had a heart attack when I heard the marble chamber at capitol in LA.
I think it was marble. Its one of those sounds I'm not about to forget.
I think they have 4 chambers there.

Cheers
There are actually 8 live chambers here at Capitol. They are 25 feet under the parking lot, and are made of concrete with very reflective paint on the walls. Although all 8 chambers are basically the same size, each one has it's own character, and everyone has there favorite. There is really nothing that sounds like live echo, the chambers really react different than a digital reverb, and the results are much more pleasing to the ear, and sit in a mix much easier.

Steve
Old 11th September 2006
Gear Nut

There's a really good reverb chamber at Premium Recording here in Austin, TX. Built to the exact specs as some chamber in nashville from the sixties. Good stuff. It's always cool taking people in there, especially when something is playing out through the monitor. Got a tube plate reverb too, so the reverb options are always pretty nice there.

Erik Wofford
Old 11th September 2006
Gear Maniac

there are multiple echo chambers at Mushroom Studios in Vancouver, BC up here in Canada.
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6777 View Post
This past spring I discovered to my frustration that there is not a single recording studio in the city of Chicago that has a live echo chamber.

*Every* recording studio has a live echo chamber: I always bring a ghetto blaster to mix sessions, which gets set up in the nearest bathroom or stairwell, fed from an aux send, & miked from across the room with a stereo pair of condensers, or a couple PZM's on the wall, or a pair of EV 635a's.

Or did you mean a REALLY AWESOMELY GREAT SOUNDING live echo chamber? Yeah, they're in short supply...
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlc201 View Post
The vertical chamber off Studio A's "New Tracking Room" has a motorized ceiling that can adjust the size of the chamber to up to something like 20' tall. Talk about a LOOONG reverb tail.........
Old 11th September 2006
Gear Nut

Fantasny Studios in Berkeley CA has 2... if you have TL Space you have an impulse responce of it in that plugin.... the concrete room with the speaker pic....
Old 11th September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom View Post
i am building one here in nyc, but it keeps getting delayed, no pun intended......

the real question would be, how much will you, the consumer, spend to
work in a room with a lovingly built echo chamber ?

it is so hard to own, operate and maintain a real recording studio in

looking forward to the chamber......

on a side note, thinking i was buying a reference book, i purchased the
book "echo chambers" from amazon marketplace last year......it was $3....
it was a love-thriller-novel ! the previous owner put a round sticker on the cover
and wrote enjoy !...........

be well

- jack
I think a studio owner could really use an echo-chamber to his advantage. It's a selling point for a studio to say that they have a reverb that is, not only REAL, it's unlike any reverb from any box or unmatched by any other studio. It makes your room unique.
Old 11th September 2006
Gear Nut

Willie Nelson's Pedernales Studio has a tile chamber.

Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

Bob Langs in seattle has 2 I believe.

http://www.robertlangstudios.com/index2.html

IMO, this is thee place to make a record if you're in the Seattle area............that is, if you're not at my place...LOL
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthando View Post
I think a studio owner could really use an echo-chamber to his advantage. It's a selling point for a studio to say that they have a reverb that is, not only REAL, it's unlike any reverb from any box or unmatched by any other studio. It makes your room unique.

i agree
much here is unique
the beautiful tube driven custom made plate
already provides amazing reverb.....
the chamber will add to that.....
2" 8 track and 2" 16 track provide what
are relatively infrequent
tracking options.......

be well

- jack
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6777 View Post
For future reference, i'd like to get an idea of what studios have them and where they are(USA).
Avatar Studios, NYC (Power Station).

2 chambers

stairway that runs from the basement to the fourth floor.

and the girls bathroom in the basement.

All patchable via the second floor.
Old 12th September 2006
Gear Nut

Coast Recorders and Hyde Street Studios in San Francisco have chambers.

Steve
http://www.masseyplugins.com
Old 12th September 2006
Gear Head

sound emporium a........in nashville......has about a 20 foot tall echo chamber with stands/ perches that can be adjusted for vaying reverb tail lengths.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search